VMax Journey Continues....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got back from the dealership with a bag of goodies.... an expensive bag at that! I got a few things for myself, but mostly stuff for HDKilla's bike. Here is the list:
2 - Steering stem bearings (top and bottom)
2 - Valve cover gaskets
2 -Fork seals and dust seals
6 - solid motor mounts
1 - Frame bolt
15W Fork Oil

Chris, looks like I will soon have all the parts to work on his front end. If you want to come down sometime and help me out, I would love to have ya. I think the only thing we are waiting on are the springs and I think they will be here on the 19th.

I need to get the brake adapters from Morley and then we can put the hayabusa masters and R1 rotors on and then we will be able to stop this monster!!!!

Haven't really done much more than that to it other than taking off the exhaust. Is there anything out there to help clean up the valves? They look pretty carboned up. I did put in some Techron, but I know it hasn't had a chance to do it's thing yet... anything else I should try?

Thanks,

Jeff

I've had good luck with the BG 44K treatment but it has to run through like Techron.

The springs came in today, so I'm ready to start working on the bike again! Plus the temps are no longer in the negatives, so I can start working out in the garage again without spenging too much $$ heating the thing.

Chris, when do you want to come down and help out? I'm thinking about this weekend.

Also for anyone else, there is talk about Morley and Maleko making a trip over some weekend (in the next few weeks). If anyone else is interested, let me know so I can make plans. There are a few other Vmaxers in the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area and maybe they will come down as well. Hell, we might want to make this into a VMOA event.

Anyway, let me know who else wants to come, help, or just sit back and drink a few beers.

Jeff

OK, Looks like I will be heading that way weekend after next. I will be stopping back in Kansas City on Sunday for the families ammual superbowl sunday party at a relatives living there. So keep in mind that would be my travel plans. If Mark wants to meet me in K.C. he could leave his car or bike and ride along the rest of the way.

I am going to try and have a jet kit and at least one header ready to install. The header will likely need to be removed after we get it tuned so we can coat it for him.

Sean

Hey Jeff sorry I missed your call. I was at a customers.

This weekend isn't good for me. I have a 1 O-Clock with my nephew. (we built a pinewood derby car) and Sunday I am working on Susan's house with her. L-O-N-G story there but lets just say it starts with -20+? weather and no one home and ends with about $20,000 dollars worth of repairs.:bang head:

Chris

I can shoot for the next weekend though!

Hey Jeff sorry I missed your call. I was at a customers.

This weekend isn't good for me. I have a 1 O-Clock with my nephew. (we built a pinewood derby car) and Sunday I am working on Susan's house with her. L-O-N-G story there but lets just say it starts with -20+? weather and no one home and ends with about $20,000 dollars worth of repairs.:bang head:

Chris

I can shoot for the next weekend though!

Aw crap!! That really sucks Chris, I've been there!

Keep a sharp eye for moulds and harrass the ins co for $'s to clean it up. You don't want to leave any of that stuff around!

Aw crap!! That really sucks Chris, I've been there!

Keep a sharp eye for moulds and harrass the ins co for $'s to clean it up. You don't want to leave any of that stuff around!

I was HALF smart about 2 months ago... I shut the water off... It's the boiler pipes that blew!

I should have drained all the pipes and the toilet. It's just such an old house that it's VERY hard to do it.

Me and a ten dollar thermocouple fixed it! DOH!

Sorry for the hijack

Chris, first off that sucks man. Let me know if you need a hand!

As far as working on the bike. I think we are planning on having people over Superbowl weekend. Anyone is welcome to come down Friday night and we may work a little on the bikes, or we might end up drinking a few beers and relaxing. Saturday, we will be up at 5:00am sharp well rested and ready to work on Abe's bike. O.k. maybe not 5am, and maybe slightly hung over, but ready to work non the less. Anyone is welcome, my garage isn't huge (28x30), but it is heated and the beer will be cold! If anyone wants to make it, give me a call 319-461-8969.

Thanks,

Jeff

OK I'm out! The "wife" told me I had made other plans. She's right... I did.

No matter... Sounds like you have MORE than enough people to help.

Sorry,
Chris

I got the fork oil, springs, seals, and dust covers replaced tonight. I think you are going to be happy with it Abe. I ended up lowering it 1" since I'm not exactly sure what exhaust is going on it and we can always lower it in the tree or even get back in the forks and add a spring and cut the spacer if you really want that extra inch. I'm going to be working on the steering stem bearings tomorrow night (as long as I don't get a long "honey-do-list"). After that, I'm going to work on pulling the carbs, draining the coolant and getting the bike ready to pull the motor. If things go as planned, I hope to have the motor work (valves) done and ready to put the motor back in the bike by the time Morley gets here.... then we would need to bleed the clutch, put in the solid motor mounts, put in the carb kit, install the exhaust, bleed the braks (busa calipers and R1 rotors), add coolant, check the blinker fluid, kick the tires, and then might want to check the torque on the axels... not that there would be anyting wrong with them in the first place... I'm just a sucker for double checking my own work.

That's all for now!

Jeff

jeff,

I'm going to have to get a second mortgage to pay you back for this one brother!

God Bless Ya!

Abe:eusa_dance:

I haven't gottne much more done on your bike.... YET. The garage is fired up and should be nice and warm for me later this afternoon (after work). I've been working on a house project that took up most of my weekend. Anyway, is anyone else wanting to come down this coming weekend and lend a hand on Abe's bike? Morley is making it up/over Friday night. Anyone else... even if you don't know much about these bikes, you can sit back with me, drink a few beers, and we can watch Morley work his magic!

Let me know if anyone else wants to stop by.

Jeff

man i'd kill to be closer to come take a look.. u sure u don't wanna come to MA to do it?

hah

Hell I'm 1.5 hours away and can't make it! Ugh...

I wish like hell I could. When's Sean coming in on Friday?

Chris

Just an idea, but could valves adjustment help here?

I also still would like a more detailed description of the 'miss at high rpm". What happens exactly? At what rpm? Every time you hit a specific spot, or within a range? Also, every time or some times? In every gear?

This would be my suggestion as well. If you search out a simular thread by me a while back I think you'll see me complaining about the same problem "High Rev Miss".

I went through the hole gammut of the suggestions listed on this thread and more and my bike was pissing me off for a couple seasons. :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head: Is it fuel?? No? Is it spark? No? Is it fuel?......The only thing that mine was doing that isn't listed here is that I was fouling plugs left and right!! MORE THAN MY 2-STROKE!!! :confused2:

I checked all my electrical components and then replaced my ignitor box. Not the fix!! :ummm:

What happened to mine, is that my charging system slowing puked out and that brought down my spark and fouled the plugs. I continued to run it like that and it built up carbon in the valves and threw them out of adjustment. :damn angry:

Check your compression and see if any of the cylinders are slightly high out of spec (a characteristic of cabon build-up). And check to make sure they pump up as specified and hold their compression too while your at it.

First thing I did (from this forum :punk::punk:) is the "solder the sh*tty wire splice" in our harnesses, then solder ALL connections (disassemble connectors) in the starting/charging systems and clean ALL connector terminals. This and a new battery brought my charging system from low 12V's up to 14V. :worthy::worthy: Check your charging system. How many volts at battery while idling (actually at 2,000 RPM's by spec) with as many accessories on as possible.

Then I did the valve adjust. My bike only has 25,000 miles on it. Just at the recommended adjustment time period. 4 of the 16 were out of adjustment (3 intakes). And i'm talking like .0015 out (seemed like nothing). I didn't think that was the culpret but the bike ran great. But after running the bike for a little while, and running correctly, the valves went back to thier original adjustments (after carbon burned off) so I had to adjust 3 back to the original adjustments. The bike continued to run great!! What a struggle.

As it was happening slowly over a period of time I was like WTF?!?!? But now in hind sight it makes total sense.

Hope this is your problem as well because it isn't too bad of a fix (more labor than money. My kind of projects). It's a bit of work getting in and out of the valve covers cause there isn't too much room.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

:biglaugh::eusa_dance::rofl_200::clapping:there's all the rest of the icons I didn't use in the rant.....

that info's gotta be useful for them man! with so many people on here i gotta imagine we've all run into almost each problem.. nice to know that, and even if not, we have great troubleshooters...

Back