VMax Journey Continues....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I had a buddy come over and we got the engine out of the bike, and had a chance to look at the valves. They aren't too bad and here is what I found... I'll double check my numbers tomorrow before I do anything.

------------------Front of Bike---------------------------
Cylinder #2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Cylinder #4
Intake - 0.005 & 0.004 . . . . . . Intake - 0.004 & 0.004
Exhaust - 0.010 & 0.011 . . . . . .Exhaust - 0.010 & 0.009

Cylinder #1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Cylinder #3
Intake - 0.006 & 0.006 . . . . . . . Intake - 0.003 & 0.003
Exhaust - 0.009 & 0.010 . . . . . . Exhaust - 0.010 & 0.010
--------------------Back of Bike-------------------------

I noticed the exhaust valves had quite a bit of carbon on them, and I'll try to post some pics tomorrow...... Abe, you bike is in pieces!:surprise:

I need to go spend some time with the wife, so let me know what I should do with the valves/shims.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff, seven exhaust look pretty tight. Two intakes are tight and three are loose. For intakes, I shoot for .004 inches. Exhaust, .011 inches. If you get a chance, put the shim size next to each reading and I can let you know what shim you need. Measure with a mic to verify, sometimes the marking is wrong or worn off. I make sure all eight intakes read the same...same with exhaust clearances.

Well I had a buddy come over and we got the engine out of the bike, and had a chance to look at the valves. They aren't too bad and here is what I found... I'll double check my numbers tomorrow before I do anything.

------------------Front of Bike---------------------------
Cylinder #2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Cylinder #4
Intake - 0.005 & 0.004 . . . . . . Intake - 0.004 & 0.004
Exhaust - 0.010 & 0.011 . . . . . .Exhaust - 0.010 & 0.009

Cylinder #1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Cylinder #3
Intake - 0.006 & 0.006 . . . . . . . Intake - 0.003 & 0.003
Exhaust - 0.009 & 0.010 . . . . . . Exhaust - 0.010 & 0.010
--------------------Back of Bike-------------------------

I noticed the exhaust valves had quite a bit of carbon on them, and I'll try to post some pics tomorrow...... Abe, you bike is in pieces!:surprise:

I need to go spend some time with the wife, so let me know what I should do with the valves/shims.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

Feel free to put your motor back in my bike...:eusa_dance:

Thanks again for all the work everyone has done on this! What a great group of enthusiasts we have here!

I don't have a clue on how I am gonna pay everyone back especially Jeff...

You guys rock!

Abe

Abe, I was wondering if your bike would be a good candidate for the COP mod. It should provide an hotter spark and may help with the overall ignition. People who also have done this says startup is much easier too. I have a set I was going to put on my 02, but since it has the Dyna3000 ignition, I'm not so sure it is a good idea. I'd sell them to you for what I have in it.

Anyone else think this would be a good idea for the bike? (Uses stock ignition)

Jeff, are the valve cover gaskets OK? If not I can bring some up with me. Those suckers aren't cheap though so I want to make sure we need them (if you haven't already got them). I would adjust the valves to .005 intake and .011 exhaust just so there is room for them to wear over time. A closer setting will make just a tad more umph but at the expense of needing adjusted more frequently.

I don't even bother using the chart as the shims can vary slightly even when labeled the same. I just take out what was in there, note it's marking, and adjust to the larger or smaller shim from there and measure until I find one that is the amount I need to change. Then I re-check after rotating the engine over at least once.

We are almost done with one of the 4-1 hindles (which does clear the centerstand). The left front pipe isn't as pretty as I would have liked but I think it won't be horrible either. We are going to be re-coating the entire system anyway.

I do suggest the black since it is the most durable coating. I am bringing up two mufflers as well. One is the stock Sudco (Hindle) muffler and will be nice but not loud. The other is a two brothers and a much higher flowing muffler. It will sound bad ass but loud.

Once we get it running well we can pull the system back off and I will bring it home to do any final fitments and send it in for coatings.

Sean

THE VALVES ARE DONE!!!!!! Abe, I hope you don't mind, but I went with Morley's suggestion for 0.005 on the intakes... you might loose a tiny, bit, but we will be making up for it in other places. All the intakes are at 0.005" and the exhausts are at 0.011". I have double and triple checked them, and I'll leave the valve covers loose until Morley can look over my work.

Sean, I already got valve cover gaskets. I think they list for $26.69 a piece, but I got both for $31.96 with my super dooper discount. The dealership also has an 09 in so we might have to sneak up there and look at it (if we have time).

Now I need to prep the engine for paint. I'm not looking forward to this, mostly because I don't want it to turn out crappy and look like $hit. If I had the time, I would like to paint the whole engine gloss black, and then paint the areas that show the aluminum, paint that the same red as the body parts. I think it would really make it look sharp, plus I wouldn't have to tape/mask off everything I don't want painted. It has been painted before, and I think someone has adjusted the valves before as well. I'll prep the engine the best I can, but don't hate me if it doesn't turn out the best.

I pulled the intakes the other night, but never really looked closely at them. Today I did and noticed a 1/8" gap on the right side butterfly valve. I'm sure this has a little bit to do with the rough idle and would have thrown off any sync job done recently.... one more problem I hope to have fixed soon!

New Paint!!!! I hope it holds up! It turned out pretty good, I knew I wasn't going to be 100% happy with it, but for $40, I don't think most could do any better. I cleaned the whole motor with cleaner and a tooth brush (the wifes, not mine:biglaugh:). Got out the Scotch pads and went over the motor trying to smooth up the chipped areas and to get rid of any loose paint. I cleaned the motor again and then took some rags and acetone and got it as clean as possible. I used the Duplicolor 500 degree engine paint. It goes on pretty thick, but I got the hang of it. I've got about 75% left in one can I'll send home with you Abe, so if you ever need to do any touch-ups, you can do it yourself. Here are some before and after shots... not too bad for a late afternoon/night's work. I just hope it holds up!

Attachments

• P1010176.jpg
    P1010176.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 36
  • P1010177.jpg
    P1010177.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 29
  • P1010178.jpg
    P1010178.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 29
  • P1010185.jpg
    P1010185.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 36
  • P1010186.jpg
    P1010186.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 31
  • P1010187.jpg
    P1010187.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 48
Looks great from my house Jeff! I think thats a good accomplishment for one evening. Hell, it would probably take me that long just to mask off all the non painted parts.

Damn Jeff... I didn't think you had it in ya! :rofl_200:

That looks the bee's knees! :worthy:

That thing needed to be painted BAD!

Now kila... Remember after a few months curing to keep some wax on that thing to keep the paint supple/flexible. If it runs as good as it looks you're going to be loving this thing!

Chris

I think the pictures make it look better than it really is. There are a few runs (but I'm not telling you where.... you'll have to find it yourself!) It is better than it was and looks good for what it is. Thanks for all the good words guys. Morley should be in late tonight and tomorrow is GO TIME! I hope to have most of it buttoned up late tomorrow night. We have a lot to get done in a short amount of time... As long as I don't tear into the beer too early, I should be o.k. :biglaugh:

Here is just a quick list of what's ahead:
Install the engine (after Morley double checks my valve job)
Drink a beer
Install solid motor mounts
Drink a beer
New Bars
Drink a beer
New Brake Calipers & hoses
Drink a beer
Bleed the clutch and brakes
Drink a beer
Install the new exhaust
Drink a beer
Put on Morley's carb kit
Drink a beer
Check the torque on the new steering head bearings
Drink a beer

I think the pictures make it look better than it really is. There are a few runs (but I'm not telling you where.... you'll have to find it yourself!) It is better than it was and looks good for what it is. Thanks for all the good words guys. Morley should be in late tonight and tomorrow is GO TIME! I hope to have most of it buttoned up late tomorrow night. We have a lot to get done in a short amount of time... As long as I don't tear into the beer too early, I should be o.k. :biglaugh:

Drink a beer
Drink a beer
New Bars
Drink a beer
Drink a beer
Drink a beer
Install the new exhaust
Drink a beer
Put on Morley's carb kit
Drink a beer
Drink a beer

thats my kind of todo list man!.. i wish i could have come out and check out u guys at work..

Drink a beer
Drink a beer
New Bars
Drink a beer
Drink a beer
Drink a beer
Install the new exhaust
Drink a beer
Put on Morley's carb kit
Drink a beer
Drink a beer

That's a great looking schedule Jeff, but......if I may make a suggestion...after the clutch & brake bleeding don't you think it would be ok to switch to a TWO beer break.....instead of just the one?

The rest of the project would go sooooo much smoother! :rofl_200:

LOL, I don't know about you but I am moving the install solid mounts up to before installing the engine! Since I don't drink that should help us get it all together OK. But, feel free to run down and get about 10 ft of brass pole and a few girls to dance around it while we work.

Sean

Back