vmax runs rich?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxx05stud

Reaction score
a few people that ive talked w/ seem to think the vmax runs (stock) on the rich side there for i dont need bigger mains w/ a header system. a good friend of mine who works proffesionally as a mechanic on bikes of all kinds seems to feel that the vmax runs on the lean side. now it seems to me(and im no expert) that when your opening up the air flow to let it breath more it takes bigger jets to feed it as well to gain the horsepower and to keep it cooler running. all opinions and suggestions very welcome. thanks.

The vmax runs lean on the low end. It's pretty good for midrange but the top end is generally a little rich. I'm running Morley's air box mod and switch to individual air filters/velocity stacks and it runs awesome with stock mains. Needle adjustment is the key.

richer is cooler - leaner is hotter. You''ll toast an engine when its too lean. When its too rich you just loose performance.

The vmax runs lean on the low end. It's pretty good for midrange but the top end is generally a little rich. I'm running Morley's air box mod and switch to individual air filters/velocity stacks and it runs awesome with stock mains. Needle adjustment is the key.

Do you have a site that I can look at this modification?

Morley's airbox? I don't think it's on his site yet. I can take pictures of the airbox and post them if you like.

Jarrett, will do. You'll get some pictures tomorrow after I get home from work.

Sean Morley, what's up? You don't call....or write...or return my emails. lol

yea, yea, check your email. Finally got an email off to you. With our jet kit you do have to increase the size of the main jet but with pretty much everyone elses kit the opposite is true.

99% of the bikes will respond very well with simply bolting on the header and no changes to the carbs.

Should hopefully have the new site up soon!

Sean Morley

maybe just certain pipe set ups require jetting. see on mine it has a burb in it when put hit the throttle when just cruising. so we drilled out the brass plugs and turned the air screws. it helped a little bit but still does it once in a while. thanks for replies. oh yea , i know richer is cooler and leaner it hotter, hence my worry about having it too lean w/ the pipes.

Latest posts

Back