Weak front brake..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
Hey guys..:eusa_dance:

One of my Vmax's front brakes wont brake hard.. It worked just fine last season considering stock Vmax front brakes suck anyway.. But now its super mushy and barely brakes as the lever bottoms out. The reservoir is full.

I went through this with a clutch master I considered rebuilding, but a forum member sent me one for free which I just slapped on and forgot about it.

Is it worth rebuilding the front brake master since allot of good used ones are available?

Thanks..

I rebuilt my front brake master. Went from bad to wow pushing the Billet 6 calipers.

If I was gonna replace with used, I would still disassemble and rebuild. I have a 23 year old Max and I found a good 23 years worth of unwanted crud/stuff in the Master while I was rebuilding.

I rebuilt my front brake master. Went from bad to wow pushing the Billet 6 calipers.

If I was gonna replace with used, I would still disassemble and rebuild. I have a 23 year old Max and I found a good 23 years worth of unwanted crud/stuff in the Master while I was rebuilding.

Thanks. I cleaned out the gunked up calipers already, but never messed with the master. I remember my clutch masters bore might have been so bad I abandoned it. I hope the brake is rebuildable.

oe you can grap some radial brake master cylinder from ebay and it will be even better .

I'm keeping this Vmax stock.. But the radial brake thing is interesting thanks.

I cleaned out the gunked up calipers already, but never messed with the master. I remember my clutch masters bore might have been so bad I abandoned it. I hope the brake is rebuildable.

Turns out the bore on my front brake master is badly pitted.

Any suggestions on where I can pick up a stock bolt on unit?

Places like indyoem.com, ronayers.com, mrcycles.com, onlinecycleparts.com only show the single parts not assembled.:ummm:

Either good used or get new. Lots of aftermarket alternatives from sportbike units to FJR masters. You can likely hone yours and get most of the pits smoothed out and still work just fine.

Turns out the bore on my front brake master is badly pitted.

Any suggestions on where I can pick up a stock bolt on unit?

Places like indyoem.com, ronayers.com, mrcycles.com, onlinecycleparts.com only show the single parts not assembled.:ummm:

The fiche will show a box around the entire master cyl w/a # for it, that's the entire assembly but you will see the lever is outside the box and will either be transferred from yours or buy another too.

Ron Ayers shows it as #1 3HE-2583T-01-00 master cyl assembly
for $107.63
http://www.ronayers.com/FRONT-MASTER-CYLINDER-C456434.aspx

Considering how-much you depend on the thing, I would buy new instead of rebuild. If you insist, the piston kit for the rebuild is $31.59, part #5
36Y-W0041-00-00 kit, master cyl.

Either good used or get new. Lots of aftermarket alternatives from sportbike units to FJR masters. You can likely hone yours and get most of the pits smoothed out and still work just fine.

thanks Sean I will remain stock.

The fiche will show a box around the entire master cyl w/a # for it, that's the entire assembly but you will see the lever is outside the box and will either be transferred from yours or buy another too.

Ron Ayers shows it as #1 3HE-2583T-01-00 master cyl assembly
for $107.63
http://www.ronayers.com/FRONT-MASTER-CYLINDER-C456434.aspx

Considering how-much you depend on the thing, I would buy new instead of rebuild. If you insist, the piston kit for the rebuild is $31.59, part #5
36Y-W0041-00-00 kit, master cyl.

Thanks.

I was leaning toward new.. But the new one wont come with gouges I put in mine back in 86 when I almost became a Vmax statistic.

Decisions

Back