What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just talked to Sean about new clutch kit... Lets hope it works, or my work replacing it - it works better without slipping.. Next is Jet kit.. My wife is gonna kill me if she adds up what all I have spent this year.. Looking forward to saving up some more $$$$ for next years mods already...:eusa_dance:

Damn, that sux having a flat. But, better it went flat at home than out on the road somewhere.

Well it was at work, but yea Im thankful for it not being 100 miles from nowhere. Got the pretty lady bring a plug kit from the house when I get off work, and I got a new front tire on order. Hopefully it will get here tomorrow.

I spent about 30 hours in the cage the last few days... I dont want to be in a friggin car this week anymore than I have to. I want to ride! Good justification for a 2nd bike I think. :punk:

Well it was at work, but yea Im thankful for it not being 100 miles from nowhere. Got the pretty lady bring a plug kit from the house when I get off work, and I got a new front tire on order. Hopefully it will get here tomorrow.

I spent about 30 hours in the cage the last few days... I dont want to be in a friggin car this week anymore than I have to. I want to ride! Good justification for a 2nd bike I think. :punk:

Can't think of a better reason for 2nd bike !! Call it just in case bike

Installed my Progressive fork springs with 1" lowering kit, replaced the seals and dust covers, and cleaned everything up. Re-installed everything and had very little problems doing it thanks to Seans video and a phone conversation with him half way through the job. Poured down rain all evening so looking forward to riding to check em out tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully no surprises. Thanks a million Sean, never would have attempted this without your encouragement, advice, and of course....your parts.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I wired the R/R directly to the battery. Went from 13.2 volts at idle to 14.1. One of the main reasons for doing this is I recently bought an innovate LM-2 A/F meter, and want to give it as much juice as possible.

I also had the O2 bung welded into the exhaust. I know that it would be better to have bungs in each pipe, but one in the collector will get me close when I tune.

I know that I need to paint the area where the bung is welded in, but wanted to show a pic after grinding the weld.

Here it is, and of course I bought it off of ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270979863067?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php

I have a mounting suction cup to mount it to the tank for readings, as I didnt want anything permanent.

Attachments

• IMAG0849.jpg
    IMAG0849.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Raining like hell today could barely move in my garage. I finished up a Vrod I was working on & a Honda Rebel never got to touch a Max.

Attachments

• 20140502_144440.jpg
    20140502_144440.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 35
  • 20140502_144607.jpg
    20140502_144607.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20140502_144705.jpg
    20140502_144705.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 34
I changed out the rear rotor to the new one I got from Sean. Now I might be able to stop better since my stock rear was showing extreme signs of wear.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 37
What did I do to my Vmax today? Moved it.

So two years ago I parked it over the winter in a cannery during the off season. Figured I'd be out in a few months with the sun ( being in Alaska does have some down sides). Unfortunately, Sean decided to come out with his Carr' wheel special during that time. If I'm going to get the wheels I should really get better brakes too. And it would be a shame to not get the usd fork/extended swing arm too. Hell if I'm going to tear it done that much I might as well get the extended gas tank too... I blame Sean really.

Anyway the 3 months I intended to be in the cannery turned into 9 and then I got ejected. Timing was good (for me) as a buddy's house burned down and he decided to buy a new one instead of rebuilding. I say good for me as his two car garage wasn't attached , or burned, and he was willing to rent it cheap. All was well.
image (3).jpg

Except Monday, my buddy called and said he was closing on Thursday on the sale of his burnt place. Need to be out by Friday morning. Well ain't that a kick in the head. So I'm scrambling like mad to find a place, any place, to stash my stuff and mentioned this at the breakfast dinner to the group of usuals a when the wizened old man who usually never says anything croaked out in a voice older them dirt and broken from little use that his old shop is up for sale. Seems back in the day he ran a four bay mechanic shop. Would I like to take a look. Boy would I! So we go take a look.

To make a long story longer, 1) it's for sale, 2) the price is reasonable and most importantly, 3) I can move in that very afternoon. I wasn't really looking to buy a place but, see justifications 1-3 listed above. Mostly 3. While I'm mulling this over, he sweetens the deal saying he'd throw in his son's Silverwing. At least I think he was trying to sweeten the deal. I am now the proud owner of my own 4 bay mechanic shop with a car lift, a 3 ton overhead crane, and walking path to the Kenai river where the you can catch your bag limit on salmon 10 minutes after you put your waders on. Oh and I finally have enough room for all my hobbies under one roof.
image (2).jpgimage (4).jpg

This brings us to my current dilemma, what to do with the Silver Wing... was thinking Ebay it but then i found this.
26.jpg

So, ya, I might be building a buzzbomb next winter.

Blurr, my old lady would ditch my ass if i was in your situation. With my own 4 bay garage and all of my tinkering hobbies, i'd never be at home!

Today i cut out the unnessecary wiring harness between the stator and the r/r, mounted my new (used) r/r off of an R1 under the passenger seat, ran new wires from the old stator wires to it, and ran a bigger wire directly to the battery. Went from 13.3 volts at 2500 rpm's to 14.4! Starts a hell of alot better when hot too. Thanks to all for the knowledge and info i gathered to do this project.

I found out part of the reason Danny has gotten to work on so many sets of carbs for me....
I decided I'd finally take some time for myself and get some things done on the bike so I might be able to actually ride this season instead of just looking at piles of parts. I took off my fuel pump, which I thought was the reason I'd had to break my carbs apart AGAIN, in order to swap out the top plastic section where the fuel actually gets pumped. It had some little bits of rusty flakes in it, which I expected. I swapped that our for a very clean one off the project bike. I continued on down the line to replace the fuel filter. When I pulled that off, it had rusty crap in a nice solid line all the way across the bottom. Fabulous... So I knew I'd actually need to put on my coated tank. I proceeded to rip out the tank (my 3rd one, mind you) and drain it into two old washer fluid jugs. It looked like a gallon of iced tea... not good. When I got to the end, I was shaking the tank to get the last bits of fuel out so it wouldn't take to long to dry before I coated it and put it up for sale. When I finished, there was probably 1/4 cup of rust in the bottom of the jug. No wonder this thing has been giving me fits. It really didn't look bad when i looked in there with a flashlight, but it's hard to see into those corner, I guess.

I put in my coated tank after I checked to make sure I hadn't clogged any passages with Red Kote. I actually feel like there might be a light at the end of the tunnel now. I still have to put in the jet block plugs and get the whole carb rack back together, but that doesn't actually take that long since I've done in a bunch of times now.

I also found out during this whole mess that I will get to buy myself a new battery since my fake Koso gauges have a constant draw that sucked the life out of my odyssey far enough that even their 10A charger couldn't really bring it back to life enough to crank. At least I know what not to do again.

I also found out during this whole mess that I will get to buy myself a new battery since my fake Koso gauges have a constant draw that sucked the life out of my odyssey far enough that even their 10A charger couldn't really bring it back to life enough to crank. At least I know what not to do again.

Can you explain about your "Fake" Koso Gauge?

Back