What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which ones exactly did you order ?
And can you post a picture of them on the bike ?
I'm looking at some now and couldn't decide between these Bike Master grips:
http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-motorcycle-grips-with-revolver-bar-end
or these Chinese knock offs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-...-8-HANDLEBAR-SPORTS-BIKES-Black-/111313263113
I posted pictures of them here:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=358299&postcount=11

For the extra $10 or so, I was leaning towards the Bike Master grips.

Good to know, I might need to look at some of the Pro Grips and see if they have any that will match my bike.

PS
I finally got my bike out (with help from my neighbor) and washed off all the mud from the accident.
I also removed my broken mirrors and started getting everything on the handle bars loose so they are almost it's ready to be replaced.
Hopefully I'll get the new handle bars on tomorrow.
I was very happy to find that the scoops I just bought last year were still looking good, they just had a few small scratches but nothing really wrong with them.
My headlight looks like it will be able to be salvaged also and my forks appear to be straight (I'll have to check them closely but they look good by eye).

I got these from amazon...Love them except they don't come with butt caps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CP2LC2Q/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A lot cheaper then the D3's I sell but I have also had a customer with those grips go ahead and order the nicer D3's since they didn't last well.

A lot cheaper then the D3's I sell but I have also had a customer with those grips go ahead and order the nicer D3's since they didn't last well.

Love my D3's! If those wear out on you man i agree with Sean, go ahead and make the switch for a longer lasting product. These grips just look so clean, and end caps can be had easy enough.

Since we're talking grips, here is what I have Woona wearing.
10254013_10203014612301604_3206454296576608996_n.jpg

Yeah, tthey're a mix n' match of various pieces, but I love how the black and chrome mix together.

Only thing that needs to be different is the Yamaha trim ring needs to be shaped differently, so it matches the flare of the grip better. Maybe I can find a place that does that 3D printing... That, or I can mod the throttle sleeve so I do not need to use that ring.

Starting to try and get caught up!

Attachments

• IMG_20140507_102004_058.jpg
    IMG_20140507_102004_058.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 59
Well today I started working on my Max a bit:
- replaced my bent handle bars with good used OEM bars
- removed the speedo so I can replace the cracked cover
- removed the headlight and found out that he outer chrome ring is bent
- removed the crown above the headlight so I can buff out the scratches
- removed the 2 broken broken turn signals
- I also tried to crank it, no joy but I did figure out that my starter clutch is fine, I was worried the screws would be loose from the crash
- I also checked my forks with a straight edge and tape measure and the appear to be perfectly straight, so that's a relief as well
- I also made a list of all the OEM parts I'll need to order, which I'll be doing once I get it all stripped down

All in all I'm pretty happy, the bike does Not seem to be anywhere near as bad as I thought it would.

In the next few days I'll be removing the body work so I can get it all prepped for painting.

PS
I just worked out a Great deal with dannymax for a used headlight from his '96.
Now I won't have to bother tearing mine apart and replacing all the bent parts and buffing out the scratches on the bucket. :D

Thanks Danny !!!!

Last edited:
- replaced my bent handle bars and installed good used OEM bars
- I also tried to crank it, no joy but I did figure out that my starter clutch is fine, I was worried the screws would be loose from the crash
- I also checked my forks with a straight edge and tape measure and the appear to be perfectly straight, so that's a relief as well
- I also made a list of all the OEM parts I'll need to order, which I'll be doing once I get it all stripped down

All in all I'm pretty happy, the bike does Not seem to be anywhere near as bad as I thought it would.

In the next few days I'll be removing the body work so I can get it all prepped for painting.

PS
Now I won't have to bother tearing mine apart and replacing all the bent parts and buffing out the scratches on the bucket. :D

Thanks Danny !!!!

Awesome dennis!!!!!!!! Good to here!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

- replaced my bent handle bars and installed good used OEM bars

PS

Thanks Danny !!!!

Cant wait for you to be able to ride again. If you need anymore parts....just let me know.

Cant wait for you to be able to ride again. If you need anymore parts....just let me know.
Awesome thanks again, you have already given me a lot of the parts I would have needed to buy.
I'm really liking those levers you sent me, they'll be going on soon. :D
I'm happy about the shape the bike is in and I don't think I'll need many more parts.
I am in the market for a good used stock speedo cover, but if I can't find a decent used one I'll just order a new one. :D
Most of the other parts I need (upper throttle cables, bar ends, etc.) are pretty reasonably priced straight from Yamaha so I'll probably be order new parts as much as possible.

I also have the bone growth stimulator technician coming over Wednesday (finally) .
I'm hoping that will get my femur to start healing like it should.
I doubt that I'll be riding this season but you just never know.

R/R went out over the weekend leaving me stranded 40 miles from home. Thankful to the hot hippie chicks that rescued me in Fayetteville, AR. Luckily my moms 1300 vtx was park in my garage for the next 3 months so I scalped her R/R off and wired it into my bike. Fits perfectly under my seat and charges like a champ. Safe riding everyone.

I dicked around with three rotor bolts for at least an hour. Also, I put some frame parts back on both bikes. I guess that means I'm over the hump, and headed for the finish of all this.

Leave the VTX R/R on your max, and get her a replacement. I believe that one is a MOSFET type, and that really is the best way to go with these things....

Removed both wheels to get a new set of Shinkos installed. The old rear tire was not totally shot, but rainy weather for the weekend, and not much riding over the next few days - so why not do them both? My son rides the bike mainly, so I'll feel better about him having new rubber on the bike. The front was pretty spent, but there was about 1/3 tread left on the back. At the price I paid for the rear tire, 1/3 tread life comes out to about 25 bucks. I'm not gonna cheap out and wait, besides I had the tire here, as I bought a set when I put the Shinkos on the RoadStar...

I installed the new (to me) headlight I got from dannymax to replace my bent/scratched one.
I sanded out the scratches on the crown piece above the headlight, now I just need to buff and clear coat it.
What a difference from the Before picture I attached.

Thanks dannymax !!!!!!

Attachments

• Headlight-Crown_Before_Picture.jpg
    Headlight-Crown_Before_Picture.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF5117.jpg
    DSCF5117.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF5116.jpg
    DSCF5116.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 27
  • New_Headlight_Front.jpg