What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nope, usually very generous warm up times. this year i've missed 2nd a few times at full on on a specific on-ramp so i'm a bit nervous. over-revved to maybe 10.5k. but wasn't it andy at the BR last year who got like 22 psi at 5k rpms?

Changing the oil and installing my computer cable so I can tune at the drag strip this weekend if needed. Weather is not cooperating for pics:bang head:

przemek, your mod monkey took over the keyboard there for a sec. watch him!

nope, usually very generous warm up times. this year i've missed 2nd a few times at full on on a specific on-ramp so i'm a bit nervous. over-revved to maybe 10.5k. but wasn't it andy at the BR last year who got like 22 psi at 5k rpms?

Andy had low o/p, seems like it was something like that. Not sure what he ever did about it....he never mentioned it again. :confused2:

You haven't changed your warm-up procedure have you? Still give it time to partially warm up before taking off....never wail on it cold...right?

It would be very unusual for the o-ring to slip out under normal operating conditions, IMO.

normal condition..... mmmm dan would that include redline shifts??? :punk:

garrett think if you went to 15w40 might bring it back up for you?

[/COLOR]

normal condition..... mmmm dan would that include redline shifts??? :punk:

garrett think if you went to 15w40 might bring it back up for you?

i've found with 10-40 it brought down the pressure, thats why i went back to 20/50.

Just received my new Givi windscreen and installed it proudly on my vmax. Boy these things look great with the VMAX cutout in the support bracket up front.

Rode out to a old Army Airfield (some call it Raco Missile Base) about 20 miles from my house.(see last 2 pics) It has 3 legs of runway that are each over a mile in length. The field is used by a automotive testing company to do winter testing for the big 3.
It was a bit windy today with gusts to 25mph but I was able to get in one run down wind that showed 145 on the speedo (probably just less than 140 actual). Here are some pics of the location.

Attachments

• IMG_1173.jpg
    IMG_1173.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1192.jpg
    IMG_1192.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1170.jpg
    IMG_1170.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 11
  • racofacmapbig.jpg
    racofacmapbig.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Raco_MI_46dir.JPG
    Raco_MI_46dir.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 9
Rode out to a old Army Airfield (some call it Raco Missile Base) about 20 miles from my house.(see last 2 pics) It has 3 legs of runway that are each over a mile in length. The field is used by a automotive testing company to do winter testing for the big 3.
It was a bit windy today with gusts to 25mph but I was able to get in one run down wind that showed 145 on the speedo (probably just less than 140 actual). Here are some pics of the location.

Good run Redbone, on that note Im thinkin maybe we should start a 140mph club,ad maybe a 150 club too. the spot that we took the group photo at the BR would be perfect! and for the sake of preseving the thread,I killed a bird today on my vmax,just bad timing I guess! I said a prayer for it upon kill confirmation.It flew right into my front tire.I think it may have been spying for the MM.

Last edited:

Cool beans Brian!! That looks like fun....no traffic, no PO...lice....do you have access to a radar gun? :punk::punk::punk:

Good run redbone, on that note Im thinkin maybe we should start a 140mph club,ad maybe a 150 club too. the spot that we took the group photo at the BR would be perfect!

It sure is a perfect spot....unfortunately the Federales know that too....they hang out there in force!! :bang head:

Cool beans Brian!! That looks like fun....no traffic, no PO...lice....do you have access to a radar gun? :punk::punk::punk:
Yep, I have a couple buddies that have them for their race sleds. I can also install my GPS but I didn't have it on tonight as I really didn't plan this trip. I don't like to be messing around too much by myself as if I mess up they may not find me for a few days!

Good run Redbone, on that note Im thinkin maybe we should start a 140mph club,ad maybe a 150 club too. the spot that we took the group photo at the BR would be perfect! and for the sake of preseving the thread,I killed a bird today on my vmax,just bad timing I guess! I said a prayer for it upon kill confirmation.It flew right into my front tire.I think it may have been spying for the MM.
I think I might be able to get Redbone over 145 actual (maybe over 150??) but I don't think theres enough room to wind out my OD 5th gear. I went to 4th gear/ 9500 rpm's near the 1/2 way point when I shifted into 5th. I did have some traction problems in 1st and 2nd gear so maybe if I cleaned a path it might be better. I only tried one time as I was there by myself.
The runways are smooth (amazing since they were poured probably close to 75-80 years ago!) except for the weeds growing out of the cracks but if I were going to get serious I would do some weed pulling and sweeping of the launch area. I'm sure it would take a guy about 4 hours of work to get one lane done properly and of course we'd want 2 lanes, just for comparisons sake, you know!:biglaugh:

I think you'll have a hard time getting 9,500rpm out of your OD gear - I think there'll be too much drag for the engine power available. Unless you can make yourself as aerodynamic as a needle, that is LOL :)

I think you'll have a hard time getting 9,500rpm out of your OD gear - I think there'll be too much drag for the engine power available. Unless you can make yourself as aerodynamic as a needle, that is LOL :)
I'm not a aerodynamics engineer but I don't think there is a chance in hell that either myself or Redbone would ever be called aerodynamic! Even less a chance that I might be able to become "aerodynamic like a needle!!" :rofl_200::rofl_200:
Yeah I know I'll not be able to pull my OD 5th, too much drag for not enough HP. Although I was able to equal my fastest attempt from last year on one try, which wasn't that great of one at that, I did have a bit of tailwind so that helped some. If I can get a better launch I should be able to get another 10 mph out of a run. A mile to wind up to 150 mph AND shut down feels kinda short on Redbone.
My brother on the other hand can and has run 165/ 170 in the same location on his FZ1. Aerodynamics play a big part in that along with a the few more ponies available at his rear wheel.

Put on a venture diff and run 4th gear out another 10%. Might help but also may make it worse since 5th is what you'll need to be in anyway.

Sean

cut my seat down, fixed a broken screw in my switch controls. Basically just drank a beer wondering what it will be like when it is done.

G

Latest posts

Back