Battery ??????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckzx9

Reaction score
Hello everyone I tried starting my bike today and it wouldn't start. I checked the battery and I needed to add some water hooked up the trickle charger and let it sit and it started up. The battery is the original one that came with bike. It's a 2006 that I bought brand new in 2009. Should the battery be bad already? I use the charger all winter and my garages are heated. Actually I haven't heated them yet this year but I will starting this weekend.
If I do need a new battery what one should I get? Is there a gel battery that fits in the box? I remember seeing posts about this in the past but I can't seem to find them right now. I'm not worried about price I just want a good battery that will last and perform good. But if there are ones cheaper that are good I would like to hear about them as well.

Thank you all in advance for suggestions :punk:

yes yer battery is prolly gone south. a cheap one will last about 3yrs at best. i use the odyssey pc680. it cost about 100 bux but very strong and lasts a LONG time. ther are many other batteries to choose from. you can even modify the battery box and use a much larger unit. do a lil searching in FAQ section. tons of info there on batteries.

It's probably gone yeah 3 years isn't great but isn't unexpectedly short either.

Give it a full charge and take it to an autozone or batteries plus and have them load test it. It should read the normal charge and then show it's short life expectancy with load.

The pc680 drops right in. The cables line right up, no water to deal with and cranks the bike over well.
I bought a cheapo battery and it didn't last for shit.
My oem battery held on for 4 years

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna try the oddesy. Is there a good place to buy it? Does Sean sell them or any other member here. I'd rather buy something from a member if possible. Thanks again everyone that's why I love this site ;)

Hey I just remembered when I got the bike running today the headlight came on and off a few times while it was idling. Then it was getting hot so i took it for a quick blast at 32 degrees. Does anyone know what that means???????

Sounds like a weak battery & the charging system is straining to keep-up especially at idle. You are due for a replacement!

I think I was one of the first among us to give the Ballistic lithium-ion battery a try. I had bought one for my FZR1000 and liked it so-much that when my VMax was due the following year, that got one too. Check-out my thread on it, you can even gain some space in the battery box for whatever use you want.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=20904&highlight=ballistic

Yes, it costs more than a glass-mat battery, but the service life is supposed to be the best on the market. Plus, who wouldn't want to be able to double (nearly) your cold-cranking-amps? With a charging system in good shape, and correct wiring, you can run extra lighting, a heated clothing plug, your cell or a GPS, etc. For accessory wiring, try easternbeaver
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html

If you have never seen their website, they have lots of cool accessories to make your bike better, and your accessorizing w/electrical stuff safer, and better-performing. I defy anyone who is a 'do it yourselfer' to open their website and to not buy stuff!

I used this Panasonic AGM Battery:
http://www.apexbattery.com/panasoni...-lead-acid-batteries-panasonic-batteries.html
It's been in my Max for over 5 years now (they are supposed to last 6-10 years depending on use) and it Never gives me any trouble (and for around $40 I can buy 3 of these for the cost of one PC680).
It has 283 CCA vs the 200 CCA of the Stock Wet Cell battery and 220 CCA on the Odyssey PC680.
I only got 3 years out of the two Yuasa Stock batteries I used previously, so I'm very happy with the Panasonic.

Last edited:
Don't know what kind of trickle charger you have but some won't fully charge a discharged battery. If you have a normal charger, you might try charging to a full charge before completely giving up. Then have load tested as suggested earlier.

Thanks everyone. I wonder why it was low on water and why when I let it sit on the trickle a little bit it started right up. Oh well I have the winter to research a new battery I guess

I like a battery with at least an 18 AH rating. The USB is 20- 22 AH I believe. It's not too heavey and around $55 shipped. When this one dies I'll buy another for sure.
Steve-o

The Panasonic AGM battery has a great track record as does the Odyessy PC680 AGM. The Panasonic is about $40 and Odyessy is about $120 so pricewise I'd go with the Panasonic. I have had my PC680 for 4 years with no issues at all, it has never been on a trickle charger for the long 5-6 months of winter storage during those 4 years so I'm a believer in the PC680. That being said Dennis and others have reported much the same performance from the Panasonic battery so when I need a new battery that is the way I'll go.

The Panasonic AGM battery has a great track record as does the Odyessy PC680 AGM. The Panasonic is about $40 and Odyessy is about $120 so pricewise I'd go with the Panasonic. I have had my PC680 for 4 years with no issues at all, it has never been on a trickle charger for the long 5-6 months of winter storage during those 4 years so I'm a believer in the PC680. That being said Dennis and others have reported much the same performance from the Panasonic battery so when I need a new battery that is the way I'll go.
+1 on the odyssey. I'm goin on year 5 with mine. I never trickled it or done anything really. I do however have a 3 year old stator, crimp fix, updated regulator(4 yrs old), all earth grounds and connections cleaned and all connections in the wire harness have been cleaned and dielectric grease applied. The #1 thing I did for my charging system was lose the old stock coils and put Gannon's c o p mod in. I never realized how much voltage I was losing through those old coils. Seeing 13.3 at idle and 14.5 at 3,000 rpm now.....I never thought i'd see the day. That ballistic battery Kyle is talkin about sounds pretty awesome too. 11 lbs. lighter can't be a bad thing :confused2:

+1 on the odyssey. I'm goin on year 5 with mine. I never trickled it or done anything really. I do however have a 3 year old stator, crimp fix, updated regulator(4 yrs old), all earth grounds and connections cleaned and all connections in the wire harness have been cleaned and dielectric grease applied. The #1 thing I did for my charging system was lose the old stock coils and put Gannon's c o p mod in. I never realized how much voltage I was losing through those old coils. Seeing 13.3 at idle and 14.5 at 3,000 rpm now.....I never thought i'd see the day. That ballistic battery Kyle is talkin about sounds pretty awesome too. 11 lbs. lighter can't be a bad thing :confused2:

Check my thread as I have both on a scale, 11 lbs. is a bit optimistic, unless possibly you have a Gold Wing non-stock battery, or something.

I like the near-double CCA of the lithium-ion battery, your starter spins like Sean Hannity caught in a GLBT flash-mob!:rofl_200:

Back