Did shotgun... have questions...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax06

Reaction score
So right now i have finished shotgun, but did not exactly do all the steps...
I have followed a nicely written up procedure on it, but really found it quite difficult with the mixture screws. Fearing to mess things up, i have left them alone...
What i have done: i have blasted carb cleaner into the main jet bleeds. Also, blasted air through Pilot Air Jet 1 & 2, WD40'd the slides before reinstalling and made sure everything is in right place. Also, put some seafoam into the gas tank...

After doing above method, i have started the bike but with great amount of choke... Bike was cold. Then i let it run for good 10 minutes until it was warm
Procedure did not seem to make any difference . I will check tomorrow in the morning though...

Well, have i done a big mistake by leaving mixture screws alone???

Thanx guys, please comment

The shot gun involves removing the air fuel screws and shooting carb cleaner into the hole while its running. Count the turns on each carb A/F screw (write it down) then remove the screws one at a time, making sure the screw, small washer, spring and O ring come out before you shoot the hole full of cleaner. Without doing this its not the "shotgun". Start over! getting the screw out is sometimes a pain, I use a small clean plastic tube, put it against the hole once the screw is all the way lose and gently suck on the tube, the vacuum will draw the screw to the edge enough you can pull it out.

The shot gun involves removing the air fuel screws and shooting carb cleaner into the hole while its running. Count the turns on each carb A/F screw (write it down) then remove the screws one at a time, making sure the screw, small washer, spring and O ring come out before you shoot the hole full of cleaner. Without doing this its not the "shotgun". Start over! getting the screw out is sometimes a pain, I use a small clean plastic tube, put it against the hole once the screw is all the way lose and gently suck on the tube, the vacuum will draw the screw to the edge enough you can pull it out.

BIke has to running during the whole procedure???
thanx for the advice, i will start over eventually, seems like my running condition did not change....

BIke has to running during the whole procedure???
thanx for the advice, i will start over eventually, seems like my running condition did not change....

The bike could not be running! You're taking off the air box, all the PAJ1s and PAJ2s, removing the slides, and the A/F screws. No way it will run like that..

The idea is to take all of the above out, then spray carb cleaner in there, then blow it out with compressed air.

Then you refit everything, and run it again, noticing a good improvement hopefully! :clapping:

The bike could not be running! You're taking off the air box, all the PAJ1s and PAJ2s, removing the slides, and the A/F screws. No way it will run like that..

The idea is to take all of the above out, then spray carb cleaner in there, then blow it out with compressed air.

Then you refit everything, and run it again, noticing a good improvement hopefully! :clapping:

gotcha, thanx

Of course it won't run with all that off, but it will run with just one air screw out at a time, most likely (my past experience) when you spray in the A/F hole while it's running you will hear an audible change when it cleans out. For me, its always the last one that's clogged. why is that? Ive gone through all the steps before and I'm not saying that this is the same problem you're having but my "engine miss" is always in the A/F curcuit so I cut to it first. I like to hear her come to a good idle once I find the one that plugged.

i think i have to get me a proper equipment that delivers 100 pounds of air pressure...
Anyone knows where to get one??

Just a regular air compressor with a rubber blow gun tip will do fine, just need some air to blow through the holes with is all.

harbor freight should have 'em even cheaper. wallymart has one i'm sure.

I'm about to do the Shotgun and I'm following the instructions on
http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

Can someone tell me where the Main Jet Air Bleeds are ?

Plese refer to the link above and the pictures on that page to tell me where they are.

Thanks
Ron

Look at your link again, count down 10 pictures and click on it. The blue arrow that shows the inner main jet bleeds. Just follow this step by step and you should be good!

Look at your link again, count down 10 pictures and click on it. The blue arrow that shows the inner main jet bleeds. Just follow this step by step and you should be good!

I did follow the instructions and pictures but nowhere is any of the pictures called the " Main Jet Air Bleeds "

I just asked what they are, telling me to follow the instruction isn't answering my question

I did follow the instructions and pictures but nowhere is any of the pictures called the " Main Jet Air Bleeds "

I just asked what they are, telling me to follow the instruction isn't answering my question

Sorry its early, its main purpose is to draw air into the carbs main circuits. Im no carb pro, but these circuits are needed to for the air to fuel mixtures of the carbs. With any restriction to these, which happens often, performance will hinder. By doing the shotgun at least once a year will keep them clean and clear of debris

MY bad, I missed it they do tell you where thay are... Sorry

Again, no worries. I am still half asleep myself here, but you did ask as to where they are which that illustration explicitly states and shows them with those blue arrows.

All is good and glad we straitened it out!

Latest posts

Back