grinding, clickity, kih-kih-kih-kih sounds on start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you had access to a oxy-acetylene torch to heat the bore, you would have it off in about 3 minutes. It would heat the bore so quick the crank would not have time to expand along with the bore. You probably have the small propane torch like I have that just won't compare with the oxy-acetylene torch . I had hell trying to straighten an aluminum shift lever one time with my propane torch, it barely got the aluminum hot enough to bend.

If you had access to a oxy-acetylene torch to heat the bore, you would have it off in about 3 minutes. It would heat the bore so quick the crank would not have time to expand along with the bore. You probably have the small propane torch like I have that just won't compare with the oxy-acetylene torch . I had hell trying to straighten an aluminum shift lever one time with my propane torch, it barely got the aluminum hot enough to bend.

yep that's what i got--propane torch. so there's no way i can afford a oxy-acetylene torch nor can i justify one for just this project. what can i do as an alternative?

yep that's what i got--propane torch. so there's no way i can afford a oxy-acetylene torch nor can i justify one for just this project. what can i do as an alternative?
If it comes down to it you can help me out with fuel a little & I will throw my torch in my truck along with my good impact & drive down there & we will get it off.

If I might make a recommendation, as you will have the flywheel off anyway why not just upgrade to a PCW starter clutch? They have a steel clutch instead of a scintered brass one that Yamaha uses. Also you can then TIG weld the bolts into the flywheel and never again worry about one backing out or your starter clutch going bad. JMHO:punk:

If it comes down to it you can help me out with fuel a little & I will throw my torch in my truck along with my good impact & drive down there & we will get it off.
Hell-Yes.jpg

How un effin believable! You would actually do this? Seriously Cap, God broke the mold after He made you. I'd be a fool to pass up such an offer. I may be an idiot, but i ain't no fool. When could you come over?

Hell-Yes.jpg

How un effin believable! You would actually do this? Seriously Cap, God broke the mold after He made you. I'd be a fool to pass up such an offer. I may be an idiot, but i ain't no fool. When could you come over?
Actually I would rather come on a weekday around noon but I know most normal people work them hours. I might could set up something Saturday where I could come help you & meet up with Spyder & get his Exaust from him. Yall are not quite in the same direction since he is in Deltona but hopefully I could make it work out some how. I mapquested your house & its right at 141 miles from me.

Yes I'm off this Friday

regards from my tapatalking android...
Ok sounds good. So hear is the deal if I am gonna do this. I leave here at 6-6:30 am which should put me at your place at 9-10 ish so I will still have time to leave your place & head to Daytona to get the exaust from Jerry & hopefullly make it home in time for happy hour.LOL. GO ahead & try my puller first you should have it tomorrow & let me know if it works. Not all of them come off with out heat & I think you have tried pretty hard but I still want you to try it first since you are not right around the corner from me & my truck gets 13mpg on a good day.

so the puller came in yesterday. i was thinking the same as you and so i attacked. but it was late by the time i got home and really couldn't make too much of a racket. so i skipped the impact and wrenched it on with my tire iron. gave it a couple whacks and tightenings, but no joy. it was midnight by the time i threw in the towel.

man i like it tight, but this is frickin ridiculous.

i'll try again later this evening, and try to squeeze out a couple more turns by somehow lengthening my breaker bar.

wish me luck

so the puller came in yesterday. i was thinking the same as you and so i attacked. but it was late by the time i got home and really couldn't make too much of a racket. so i skipped the impact and wrenched it on with my tire iron. gave it a couple whacks and tightenings, but no joy. it was midnight by the time i threw in the towel.

man i like it tight, but this is frickin ridiculous.

i'll try again later this evening, and try to squeeze out a couple more turns by somehow lengthening my breaker bar.

wish me luck
No problem I will plan on leaving here early in the morning unless you tell me something diffrent this evening. I probably wont be up late tonight since I will be up driving early. I hate driving cars they make me tired so hopefully I will sleep good tonight. Also if you could PM me your phone number in case my GPS acts screweie like it has a couple times & I cant find your place.

I just took mine off about an hour ago. First time for me also. I tightened up the home made puller I borrowed with my impact wrench, hit it with a ball hammer and nothing. Tightened again with the impact and whacked with the hammer again. Nothing. I picked up the sledge hammer and two fairly good whacks and it popped right off. I used the three screw type puller.
My problem is I can`t see anything wrong with it.:bang head:

I just took mine off about an hour ago. First time for me also. I tightened up the home made puller I borrowed with my impact wrench, hit it with a ball hammer and nothing. Tightened again with the impact and whacked with the hammer again. Nothing. I picked up the sledge hammer and two fairly good whacks and it popped right off. I used the three screw type puller.
My problem is I can`t see anything wrong with it.:bang head:
Look at it close & make sure it does not have any cracks any where & make sure the bolts are tight.

Look at it close & make sure it does not have any cracks any where & make sure the bolts are tight.

Thanks. Will do tomorrow.
I didn`t intend to jump the thread but we appear to have the same problem.
When I started it up last night it sounded like a bucket of bolts. I was expecting to see the three holding bolts backed off but they appear to be ok. All the teeth are good on the gear wheels and starter motor. When it popped the three small springs and rollers fell out. Guess I should have zip tied them like on the video.

Since the rollers and springs are out, get or buy one of those telescopic magnets usually found by the check out counter at Autozone and other automotive stores and run it all around the spring and roller holder. There could have been a small metal shaving/particle that had one of the rollers hung out hitting the sprocket starter wheel. Also check for excessive wear on the sprocket starter wheel bushing. I personally have never seen a starter sprocket bushing wear out, but I guess it is possible and something to check while you are into it.

Thanks. Will do tomorrow.
I didn`t intend to jump the thread but we appear to have the same problem.
When I started it up last night it sounded like a bucket of bolts. I was expecting to see the three holding bolts backed off but they appear to be ok. All the teeth are good on the gear wheels and starter motor. When it popped the three small springs and rollers fell out. Guess I should have zip tied them like on the video.

Sometimes you have to remove the clutch from the flywheel so you can see the brass portion of the "cage/housing" behind that stainless cover, the brass cage/housing holding the srings and roller often cracks so that it flexes and springs open instead of making the rollers bite in like they are supposed to.

The rollers and springs falling out doesn't matter as long as you got them all, they don't break, it's the housing and the bolts that hold it to the flywhell that are usually the problem. They are easy to put back in too.

Thanks guys. I am going to clean it all up and if everything passes inspection will put it back together and try it. No advice like this in the manual.
Once again, sorry for jumping the thread.

Latest posts

Back