how long do batterys last?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowpoke

Reaction score
my 05 had a dead battery from jsut sitting for a week. well i pulled it out yesterday the water level was just below the low level so i topped it off and threw it back on the charger for a few hours. by then the boy was home and wanted to help/ so the 2 of us put everythign back together. fired right up and he gave me a thumbs up and said nice work dad! he then said now we need to take it for a test ride to make sure it all works right... needless to say im proud. even at 2 years old he used a screw driver and ran the screws in that hold the seat on by him self. ( granted i had to go snug them but still)this post is a little showing off and a little seriousness. how long should a battery last? im not so certain its goign to hold a charge...

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    47.3 KB
Re: how old do batterys last?

haha nice man! i think it all depends how it was taken care of. 4 years is getting there tho if its original.

I give advice. Dispose of acid battery and buy gel one.
You want be disapointed.

Curentyl im running with 20Ah UPSuply gel battery i've paid about 40$ with shipping. Never charged that battery for over a year and once bike sits for about 2 months and still cranks like hell.

3-5 years for stocker. A good gel battery will last 7-10 years.

Re: how old do batteries last?

my 05 had a dead battery from jsut sitting for a week. well i pulled it out yesterday the water level was just below the low level so i topped it off and threw it back on the charger for a few hours. by then the boy was home and wanted to help/ so the 2 of us put everythign back together. fired right up and he gave me a thumbs up and said nice work dad! he then said now we need to take it for a test ride to make sure it all works right... needless to say im proud. even at 2 years old he used a screw driver and ran the screws in that hold the seat on by him self. ( granted i had to go snug them but still)this post is a little showing off and a little seriousness. how long should a battery last? im not so certain its goign to hold a charge...
Now THAT'S a picture to cherish!! :punk::clapping:

I think battery life depends on a lot of factors. Temperature is important, and how often it gets charged/discharged also.
If you take a brand new acid battery and run it flat, then leave it flat for over a month, I pretty much guarantee it will be dead, even though it'll only be 2 months old. Same thing if the acid boils off because of high temps - it will kill the battery no matter the age.

A decently maintained acid battery can be good for 2-5 years as others have said. I don't have enough experience with gel/fiberglass mat batteries yet, but I did buy one for my Max in April and it's doing great so far in the FL heat and having sat uncharged from mid May to early July.

This is what I bought - I even got a spare phone battery to get the over $50 free shipping :biglaugh:
http://www.apexbattery.com/panasoni...-lead-acid-batteries-panasonic-batteries.html

Nice proud dad pic too - you can say 'go on my son' again and again :worthy::clapping:

I think battery life depends on a lot of factors. Temperature is important, and how often it gets charged/discharged also.
If you take a brand new acid battery and run it flat, then leave it flat for over a month, I pretty much guarantee it will be dead, even though it'll only be 2 months old. Same thing if the acid boils off because of high temps - it will kill the battery no matter the age.

A decently maintained acid battery can be good for 2-5 years as others have said. I don't have enough experience with gel/fiberglass mat batteries yet, but I did buy one for my Max in April and it's doing great so far in the FL heat and having sat uncharged from mid May to early July.

This is what I bought - I even got a spare phone battery to get the over $50 free shipping :biglaugh:
http://www.apexbattery.com/panasoni...-lead-acid-batteries-panasonic-batteries.html

Nice proud dad pic too - you can say 'go on my son' again and again :worthy::clapping:
+ 1 on it depends on a lot of factors. I just put the panasonic in my 85 & it seems to work just as good as that high dollar Oddesy I put in my 88.

This battery better than the PC 680? CCA is way lower. maybe that doesn't matter?

This battery better than the PC 680? CCA is way lower. maybe that doesn't matter?

I can't say if it's better or worse - haven't used a PC680 yet. All I can say is 'so far so good', and we'll see how long it lasts. For less than $50 I don't mind replacing it every 2 years anyway..

Were gonna see which one last longer I just put the pc 680 in my 88 about 2 months ago & the panasonic in the 85 about 2 weeks ago so I will see which one I have to replace first but I am kind of like G for the price diffrence 150 verses 50 I dont think I will but another PC 680

Yeah, that is pricey. I wait for a sale at batterymart.com. I paid $110 for mine.

You won't go wrong with this one. I charged it once when I got it over a year ago. My trickle charger in in the cellar now. lead acid batteries suck, don't do well with vibration.
Steve

UB12220 Universal 12 Volt UB12220B1 1 42.95
22AH Battery
Subtotal 42.95
Shipping 16.77
Tax 0.00
Total 59.72

I can't say if it's better or worse - haven't used a PC680 yet. All I can say is 'so far so good', and we'll see how long it lasts. For less than $50 I don't mind replacing it every 2 years anyway..
Good point. I'm on my 6th year with my PC680 and she's getting tired. Think I may be going your route in the spring.

Gel cells must of improved or good for smaller batteries. They do seem to do ok if they're next to trickle charged initially, at least for a while. Have installed many in mil equipment and vehicles. They don't seem to have a good track record. I could understand a gel cell lasting longer, constantly being lightly chg'd.
I think the key to keeping a battery is to keep a chg of some kind in it. I had battery problems with my old Max, changing out batteries once every one to two yrs. The chg system would get to 13.3. I bought a rebuilt stator off Ebay, out of Al, and an after market rectifier out of Ca. Volts went to 14.5. No more battery problems. Heating up the battery to 14+ volts, and not over 15.5 V, is a good thing for a 12.6 V battery. Cost for this upgrade was under 150 bucks.

Re: how long do battery's last?

I have never gotten more then 2 years out of a battery in any of my motorcycles or quads ! My 2006 v-max is no exception , not even 2 years old & what ever HACKER installed it had pinched the vent tube & it split & was boiling over ( HAD 3 BAD CELLS ) & leaked out up high where the tube split & got into the connector for my right rear coil ! What a mess , anybody that doesn't put an Odyssey battery in their bike ( EVEN IF THEIR BIKE IS NEW ! ) is out of their F@#%^*G mind ! Nothing personal !:rofl_200: THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO LAST 8-12 YEARS ! THAT ALONE MAKES THEM WELL WORTH THE MONEY ! http://www.odysseybatteries.com/ ... PART # PC680 , THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE ! THIS TELLS ALL ABOUT THEM ! ...http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

The "crimp fix" on my '97 boosted voltage from only about 12.7 to 13.5, engine idling. Still seems a bit low but haven't had any problems with slow cranking with the PC680, it's been in there for going on three years now.

Re: how long do battery's last?

I have never gotten more then 2 years out of a battery in any of my motorcycles or quads ! .../...
anybody that doesn't put an Odyssey battery in their bike ( EVEN IF THEIR BIKE IS NEW ! ) is out of their F@#%^*G mind ! Nothing personal !:rofl_200: THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO LAST 8-12 YEARS ! THAT ALONE MAKES THEM WELL WORTH THE MONEY ! http://www.odysseybatteries.com/ ... PART # PC680 , THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE ! THIS TELLS ALL ABOUT THEM ! ...http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

u got me confused Tim - you want to spend all that $$ on a PC680 that will only last 2 years in your bike? Hey I'd rather spend $50 every two years and have leftover money for a lot of spikes! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

someone mentioned a vent tube on the battery? anyone have pictures? i didnt see any ports for a tube i did however see a rubber hose that wasnt hooked up to anything

Latest posts

Back