Missed Shift.........

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
Took the bike for a 20 mile round trip just to get away for a few minutes. Headed I-275 South to the last exit before the Skyway Bridge.
Made a U and hit the on ramp to go North. I thought, I'd really romp it since it was well warmed up. Ran first till I saw 9,000, went for second
and,,,,,,,$%#&*. I glanced real quick to see the tach peak at 10,500.

I don't miss gears often, I learned a long time ago to set the shifter at an angle not conducive to missed shifts. Wrong Frigging Shoes on.

Well, it made me think, the bike was probably fine with that little blast into the Ozone. Wonder about that damn O-Ring in the pan. Maybe
I should think about an oil pressure gauge just for safety.

Any way Life goes on and after a seconds pause, I ran it up to 125.

I remember how my Dad told me when He was getting Old. Guess I'm there.:lol_hitting:

Dave

i missed a shift from second to third once and revd it to 10.5k, i was pretty shaken up about it. i texted sean right away for guidance

i missed a shift from second to third once and revd it to 10.5k, i was pretty shaken up about it. i texted sean right away for guidance

I missed 2nd many years ago. Is what it is. past tense. Readjusted the shift lever lower. Hasnt happened since. My stock 85 has a vibration in neutral the ufo doesn't. run it til it doesn't.:punk:

use it up. wear it out. make it do. or do without.

I have the reverse shift on mine and the 1st to second is a lot more certain I think.

rick

I had a 65 Malibu SS, 365 hp, 327 lock wide open once, then the damn key fell out so I couldn't shut it down. Ran like that for 5 or 6 seconds, seemed like minutes. Pumped 2 quarts of oil onto the windshield by the time I finally did get the key in and turn it off. I yanked the choke linkage that was the cause right off the carb. I replaced the missing oil and the car ran fine for another 4 years.

Past is past but it's much better when it don't happen to you.:biglaugh:

i've missed a few when i'm on on-ramps. need to adjust my shifter, but haven't seen any oil problems. still around every k of rpms = 10 PSI.

Get a rev limiter. Problem solved.
Yep, rev limiting is your friend. Mine's set at 9K just to play it safe.

I haven't miss-shifted, but once I wasn't watching the tach and took it up to 10K pre-Dyna. No more of that...I'd rather not grenade my motor.

is there a cheaper option than the dyna? what are they now $300?

i emailed micro machines to see when their's is available too.

Took the bike for a 20 mile round trip just to get away for a few minutes. Headed I-275 South to the last exit before the Skyway Bridge.
Made a U and hit the on ramp to go North. I thought, I'd really romp it since it was well warmed up. Ran first till I saw 9,000, went for second
and,,,,,,,$%#&*. I glanced real quick to see the tach peak at 10,500.

I don't miss gears often, I learned a long time ago to set the shifter at an angle not conducive to missed shifts. Wrong Frigging Shoes on.

Well, it made me think, the bike was probably fine with that little blast into the Ozone. Wonder about that damn O-Ring in the pan. Maybe
I should think about an oil pressure gauge just for safety.

Any way Life goes on and after a seconds pause, I ran it up to 125.

I remember how my Dad told me when He was getting Old. Guess I'm there.:lol_hitting:

Dave

I have not yet missed a 2nd gear shift but I am paranoid as hell about it with the MAX due to second gear being a somewhat fragile situation. One thing I used to make regular practice at the dragstrip was a (quick as possible throttle blip) and I do mean quick as possible. The reason for this was because I never had a shifter and the penalty for missing second was a loss. Also I use and have used only a light touch or most often no clutch at all while shifting when racing. On other bikes that were limited a missed shift was no biggie and learning the bike I would kiss the limiter regularly. A WOT throttle hold with no let up without a shifter, limiter or shift light it is a delicate situation even with a reverse pattern. With the max I blip the throttle and touch the clutch and it seems to work well for me. A limiter and or shift light is next on my list.

Its like shooting, always get back to the basics and get dialed in before you upgrade your equiptment. Doesn't make any sense to have a .89 MOA rifle if you are a 3 inch shooter, LOL!

I know the SASY has a rev limiter built in. I would have bought one by now if I could find a distributer in the United States. I hate ordering from over seas. Think I'll lay off the Extreme Hot Rodding for a while, cameras are everywhere.

Dave

I know the SASY has a rev limiter built in. I would have bought one by now if I could find a distributer in the United States. I hate ordering from over seas. Think I'll lay off the Extreme Hot Rodding for a while, cameras are everywhere.

Dave

What you described does sound extreme but dont forget about the "trigger pull"! Ya, the cameras are a bother. I think I am adding the radar detector to my list just so I know where they are. I wouldn't want to get caught on camera blowing my motor.:bang head:

I've heard the Sassy does not have a true rev limiter. It may have been Chris I remember mentioning that?

I've missed 2nd more than once. I never look at the tach when I do, I don't want to know. The few times I've done it have been when the front end is high and I'm leaning my body toward the faux trying the keep the wheelie in check. Seems like that puts your foot at an angle thats awkward to do a good shift.

Thats when I got the nut slap syndrome that Danny had talked about in another thread. Come down hard from a high wheelie cause I missed second and smash the 'ol nadz.

One up and four down? That would be different.
Reminds me of an old Triumph 650. One up, three down (I think) and the brake was on the left with the gear shift on the right. Sheesh, that took some getting used to!!

I was speed shifting from 1st to 2nd and hit neutral instead of 2nd, closed the throttle only to find 2nd and chirp the rear tire. Not smooth at all. Now I just shift out of first at 5-6k rpm.

Reminds me of an old Triumph 650. One up, three down (I think) and the brake was on the left with the gear shift on the right. Sheesh, that took some getting used to!!

Ya, I took a really old Guzzi for a test ride once which had the same arrangement of brake on left foot and gear on the right, and almost crashed it right in front of the dealership on my way out when I went to brake on the gear lever! :rofl_200:

I don't think I could EVER have got used to that.

Back