My carb removal project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
Well I have started my carb removal today and when I unscrewed the carb cover on the right side I saw this

hanging.jpg

Wonder if that is why my bike was running so bad. ??? :bang head:

I also noticed this when I removed the airbox, where should these be attached to??

under_airbox.jpg

anyways on with my project.

Ron

Well I have started my carb removal today and when I unscrewed the carb cover on the right side I saw this

hanging.jpg

Wonder if that is why my bike was running so bad. ??? :bang head:

I also noticed this when I removed the airbox, where should these be attached to??

under_airbox.jpg

anyways on with my project.

Ron

the bottom ones just bolt on the side of the airbox. there is a screw hole for them. u do have an airbox lid right?

the top one looks like it might goto the choke? not sure

Its a choke lever...
Nr 63:
0010.Gif

And second ones should goes with nr 54 and 53:
0009.Gif

Dont mater about those airbox lines, with dyno stage 7 i dont have them completly.
They supouse to be a way out for fuel excess, typicaly when float stucks.

With that lever not connected you may have a problems with cold start but that is no critical with final
engine work.

Thanks I figured they attached to the bottom of the airbox but wasn't sure. The second picture f that lever hanging there does connect to the choke, I can see where it should have been but it wasn't it was pinned in back of the carb cover, when I unscrewed the cover the lever was just in back of it. I can see where it goes but I guess I'll need a c clip to connect it, anyone know the size of cip I'll need?

I'm stuck at a point, I'm following the carb removal tutorial that was posted on here and I can't identify the fuel pump safety, can someone please help me find that?

thanks
Ron

Its a choke lever...
Nr 63:
0010.Gif

And second ones should goes with nr 54:
0009.Gif

Thanks again, yes I saw it was the choke lever but you beat me to the post.......lol if those pictured in the first picture connect to the airbox at R 54 then once again the damn mechanic didn't connect it, he just left it hanging in back of the airbox by the coolant tank.

No f%$king wonder my bike ran like shit

Ron

I think I found the fuel pump for safety, in a few pictures down it showed it clearly where the coolant tank was..

:)

It's not necessary to disconnect the fuel safety. Just don't turn the key on until the fuel hose it hooked back up to the carbs. The fuel pump connector can be found easily by following the wires from the fuel pump. It's the cylinder looking thing directly below the top cover release latch.

Those hoses in your pics are the float bowl vents. They need to be mounted correctly. Look for mounting holes near the air box inlet holes. If they aren't mounted there and you run the stock air box it will run badly...especially up top.

On here
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=3570

the thrid picture down say to "Unplug fuel pump for safety:"
Oh yes.
Maleko rights. Definitly disconnect the fuel pump electricaly before removing fuel delivery line. When carbs are take of ist easy to turn the ingnition key and you may have fountain of fuel at your v-max. BTW happen to me couple times :D

You may find that plug from the right side of bike beteween the right scoop and
just under the wite resevior tank.

Once again too slow........lol see about 2 or 3 post above I found it :) but thanks I appreciate your help. I just drained the carbs and I should be on my way.....

will update when I am done or stuck again.....lol

This is kinda fun.. Just pissed off the mechanic left so many dam things unconnected....

Once again too slow........lol see about 2 or 3 post above I found it :) but thanks I appreciate your help. I just drained the carbs and I should be on my way.....

will update when I am done or stuck again.....lol

This is kinda fun.. Just pissed off the mechanic left so many dam things unconnected....
Ahahaha LOL, im too slow for you :D
Or maybe your to fast :rofl_200:

Anyway, there are mechanics and more mechaniks...you know what i mean :D
Somethimes its better to do it yourself even if you dont have any idea abuot
this...

+1 for you for do it yourself and making some good progress, kepp it up.

Yes I agree and that is what I am doing and will do from now on. I have everything from the carbs disconnected or lossened and they don't seem to want to budge a bit.. I lossened the top boot on all four carbs and also lossened the bottom on too when the carbs wouldn't come off. I can imagine them being this hard as many times as they were suppose to be removed at both shops reccently.

Can anone think of something that isn't on the carb removal tutoral that I could have missed???

I think one problem is because this tutorial if I am reading it right is to remove the carbs from the bike but still have cables connected while you work on the carbs. I have to completely remove the carbs to ship them so I will have to remove cables, right?? any tips? if you can refer to the pictures on this turotial it will help me understand better.

Thanks

Ron

I think one problem is because this tutorial if I am reading it right is to remove the carbs from the bike but still have cables connected while you work on the carbs. I have to completely remove the carbs to ship them so I will have to remove cables, right?? any tips? if you can refer to the pictures on this turotial it will help me understand better.

Thanks

Ron
You may leave lower cables, just disconnect/unhook that connector cable on the photo nr 7.
Just 3 screws.

I got wood!

Well, not that kind of wood.......:rofl_200: I used a wooden mop handle and with a little leverage each carb popped out :eusa_dance:

carbs_out.jpg

Only problem now is the cables attached to the carbs, how do I disconnect them so I can ship the carbs to Sean. The cables I am talking about are here.​

cables.jpg

I got it !!!!!!! I just followed the cables and noticed the little tabs that fit int the linkage and it was a snap to remove the cables.

Damn this feels good, thanks to everyone who helped me on this....

Nothing better to do on ones birthday than to learn how to remove carbs :eusa_dance:

Ron

Im glad that you made it :)
I never disconectd the linkage from carbs completly, it was no need.
I can see that one bolt is missing on the pre last photo.
And i musy say that they look pretty celan.

I'm a bit confused when you say

" never disconectd the linkage from carbs completly, it was no need."

If I didn't disconnect the cables from the carb s the carbs would still be attached to the bike by the cables. I have to ship the carbs so I had to disconnect the cables from the carbs..

Did you see my post that I said "I just followed the cables and noticed the little tabs that fit int the linkage and it was a snap to remove the cables." I didn't take the linkage apart I just removed the cables that fit into the circles that hold the cables to the linkage on the carbs.

Ron

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back