Name That Problem!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure yet. the first and second times u were trying to start it. would the headlights/horn all work? lights work? would the starter turn or not? did you have spark? did the starter sound solid?

Lights were dim and the horn was weak. At first it would at times go from a weak horn to temporary strong horn but right back to week, by the end nothing. Sound like the starter wanted to turn the first time but that was it. I only got a spark when I touch it with the jumper cable but no sound.

for sure the bike dieing while driving and flipping on the manual fan switch is a great indicator. So maybe part of it is a internal short in the batt which is why you couldnt restart the bike first time or jump start it. chg batt so you know your starting off without a issue, check all grounds for sure as this will cause a hole wack of issues. so if batt no good and running then overload the charging system with the fan that it cant provide enough juice to fire the plugs is why it died. do you have COP or all stock ignition? anyways id agree check wires on R/R for shorts, not sure if chargin system fails if this is the outcome, gotta check with some of the other guys here. guess little bit of what everyone has already mentioned, not sure what the stealership will do for yo uor end up charging you cause this could be a lenghty trouble shoot, i'd try to get most of it done yourself and with help from dudes here first, save you some coin ya know.

you say spark, you mean the jumper cables sparking when touching it to your bike/terminals right?? loose cable like jfeagins said

Ok, so the engine turns but doesn't start. Weak horn (my horn sounds weak, but just cause it is junk and not due to battery) sound. Has spark, unless I read the post wrong. Just rejetted carbs. Did it run rough at all just prior to this? Trying to piece together a puzzle without knowing the picture on the front of the box is tough LOL. I have the beginnings of a working theory, but need to think a bit more. Not as a guess, but did you check your fuses? You know what.... put me in for a corroded connector in the harness!!

On first attempt engine wanted to turn but didn't but after that there was nothing and gradually got to dead. by the end the horn didn't even work.

You want to stay with the corroded connector?

Sorry I forgot about how it was running. - It was running fine, just working on leaning out the midrange.

Nope, I am angling now towards my first suspicion, check for a loose POSITIVE connection. Have seen where some said ground wire, but it is possible that you have a loose positive wire. Gonna go with that and see what happens.

Nope, I am angling now towards my first suspicion, check for a loose POSITIVE connection. Have seen where some said ground wire, but it is possible that you have a loose positive wire. Gonna go with that and see what happens.

Thanks Jim. I have you in the books for loose positive connection, I appreciate your participation.

Ok I am going to try and have some fun with this. I had to have my bike towed to a dealer Saturday afternoon. I'll note what happen, symptoms and what my bike has and see who can people Dr. House and diagnose the problem. Now, the bike was only brought in late Saturday and the dealer is closed on Mondays so I won't probably know for sure for a couple of days.

Here we go: Saturday morning I took the bike to work to test some new jetting. I stop to get some gas and headed out to the local "testing" road. I did a few runs in 2nd gear from 2k WOT and few runs in 4th gear 4k WOT and headed home. While stopped at a traffic light I felt my cell vibrating on my hip. It vibrated repeatly so I knew it was my wife trying to reach me so I pulled over on the side of the road the to pick it up. I shut down the bike to answer the call. When I done with the call I tried to start the bike back up and nothing. I turned the key off and tried again, nothing. Did even sound like it was trying to turn over. I test the horn and it was weak, so I thought battery. I called a buddy to bring me some cables and give me a jump. It won't jump. I tried to bipass the battery and tried to go directly thru the starter and still nothing. We tried to push start it and it turned over. I rode it back to his car to get my gear on and head home. While putting every thing together the bike started to heat up so I turn the fan (I have the separate switch) and the bike died. We attempted to push start it again, but we unsuccessful. It sounded like it wanted to turn over but won't. We kept trying put to with no luck, although I think we are ready for the 2014 2 man bobsled team now.

This is what the bike has:
The bike is an 89 with 6k miles
Odyssey Battery - installed in December.
COPs
R1 Regulator installed in Jan.
4 pole starter (installed in Jan for a salvaged 07)
crimp fix done (sorry Dan)

If you have an other questions, feel free to ask. Once I know exactly what it is I will let you know. Thanks.

Still a bit hazy here....do these nothings mean no sound at all, or spin-over but wouldn't start?

thats like when the cops ask you what are you doing and you answer Nothing........ hahahah Nothing always means something different to everyone doesn't it Dan-o but not everyone makes front page news about it :rofl_200:

thats like when the cops ask you what are you doing and you answer Nothing........ hahahah Nothing always means something different to everyone doesn't it Dan-o but not everyone makes front page news about it :rofl_200:

It wasn't front page Ro, just a tiny little article hidden way down at the bottom of the last page!! Besides, it was a set-up, I was framed.....hey, I was young, I needed the money.....and I NEVER inhaled anyhow!! :punk:

for sure the bike dieing while driving and flipping on the manual fan switch is a great indicator. So maybe part of it is a internal short in the batt which is why you couldnt restart the bike first time or jump start it. chg batt so you know your starting off without a issue, check all grounds for sure as this will cause a hole wack of issues. so if batt no good and running then overload the charging system with the fan that it cant provide enough juice to fire the plugs is why it died. do you have COP or all stock ignition? anyways id agree check wires on R/R for shorts, not sure if chargin system fails if this is the outcome, gotta check with some of the other guys here. guess little bit of what everyone has already mentioned, not sure what the stealership will do for yo uor end up charging you cause this could be a lenghty trouble shoot, i'd try to get most of it done yourself and with help from dudes here first, save you some coin ya know.

Yes, running COPs. The bike was stationary but running when I turned the fan on when it cut off when after push starting it. Nothing looked or felt loose for a quick go thru. I had to make a decision on whether to keep plugging at it in the middle of no where and then pay an after hours tow if I couldn't get running again, so went on the safe but perhaps the more expensive route by getting towed directly to the dealer. The good thing is these guys have helped me out with all my other bikes and have been pretty good to me over the years. Hopefully that continues.

The progression went from first attempt = Vboost cycle, light gas pump, engine wanted to turn over but didn't. Checked horn but very low dieing sound.

2nd attempt - still vboost but no gas pump - lights are time dim horn even less

by the end no sounds or light at all.

The progression went from first attempt = Vboost cycle, light gas pump, engine wanted to turn over but didn't. Checked horn but very low dieing sound.

2nd attempt - still vboost but no gas pump - lights are time dim horn even less

by the end no sounds or light at all.

If there was noise at this point there was to much steam coming out of my ears to hear. Not sure that will help anyone. LOL

Thanks. Sounds intermittent, like a loose positive connection, maybe right on the starter relay explaining the spark when you hooked up the jumpers.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it....Loose connection somewhere on the positive side! :punk:

Beat ya to it Dan-o, you criminal you..... even though I still can't read the "BOLO".

Ok recap thus far:

Bad ground = 1
Starter = 1
R/R exposed wire = 1
Corroded Connectore in wiring harness = 1
Loose positive connection = 2
You two dumb asses didn't push fast enough = 3
You shouldn't have waited and I couldn't have sent my wife to get you started = 2
(just kidding on the last two, but I know you were thinking it.)LOL

I think it was an ignition switch or start button issue:confused2:

Latest posts

Back