Name That Problem!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First - the battery is either not getting a charge (bad regulator, bad stator, or bad connection) OR it's got a dead short in it.

By not being able to jump the bike with power applied directly to the start wire tells me that you may have another concern. The starter should turn over as long as you have a ground hooked up to the chassis (or ground cable) and power applied directly to the black wire connection point on the relay (red goes to the battery). The starter doesn't care if you have the key on or in gear even - if it's good and you have good contacts it's going to turn over. Now, I need to note I have seen main starter wires get burned on the header and cause a direct short when the insulation burns through and the wire makes connection to the header (or frame). Also, the connection could have come loose on the starter BUT that doesn't explain the low battery.

It takes far less voltage to run the bike then it does to start it. So, the more accessories you turn on the less time you have to drive provided you aren't getting a charge from the stator/regulator to replace the power you are using.

Once you get the bike started you don't even need a battery provided the charging system is good.

I'm going to put in for no charging (so either bad regulator or stator). This could have toasted the battery too so a direct short making it harder to jump it.

What about a broken battery terminal post??

I have seen them break internally and you don't find it until you try to take the connections off the battery and the post falls out into your hand......:confused2:

What about a broken battery terminal post??

I have seen them break internally and you don't find it until you try to take the connections off the battery and the post falls out into your hand......:confused2:

I would hate for that to be the case on a $120 battery that is only 4 months old. But a possibility none the less.

put me down for regulator/rectifier... it prolly damaged your batt

i'd go get a cheapo walmart battery just for a proof of concept.

The oldest piece of the trilogy (battery, stator and R/R) is the stator. The battery is only a month old Odyssey, the R/R is from on 03 R1 but the stator is 89 original. Unless of course there is a dominio effect.

The oldest piece of the trilogy (battery, stator and R/R) is the stator. The battery is only a month old Odyssey, the R/R is from on 03 R1 but the stator is 89 original. Unless of course there is a dominio effect.

The NEWEST piece is the battery.......no quality control is 100%.......no matter how much you pay for it.....:confused2:

With all the mods you have to your bike, you are obviously mechanically inclined.....why take it to the dealer for repair?????

With all the mods you have to your bike, you are obviously mechanically inclined.....why take it to the dealer for repair?????

The one thing that was certain do to time, place and circumstances was that it need to get towed. Where was definitely an option? Home or dealer? I am common sense nut and bolts guy and I repeat things I see well. Sean's been nice enough to guide me thru the learning the Vmax process and if I have the tools I don't mind giving it a shot. Electrical on the othet hand is kind of red flag for me. I unfamiliar with the system and don't have any testing tools or real experience with them. So in deciding whether to tow it home ot to the shop I basically said to myself, "Self, you could pay $75 to it once to the shop or risk having to pay $150 (home and then to the shop later after I electricuted myself a half dozen times, don't ask why I think that is possible, LOL). If it would have happened at home or close enough by that I could have pushed her home I probably would have been more inclined to give it a shock, oh I mean shot.

So long story short, lack of confidence and familiarity with the electrical systems is the reason.

The one thing that was certain do to time, place and circumstances was that it need to get towed. Where was definitely an option? Home or dealer? I am common sense nut and bolts guy and I repeat things I see well. Sean's been nice enough to guide me thru the learning the Vmax process and if I have the tools I don't mind giving it a shot. Electrical on the othet hand is kind of red flag for me. I unfamiliar with the system and don't have any testing tools or real experience with them. So in deciding whether to tow it home ot to the shop I basically said to myself, "Self, you could pay $75 to it once to the shop or risk having to pay $150 (home and then to the shop later after I electricuted myself a half dozen times, don't ask why I think that is possible, LOL). If it would have happened at home or close enough by that I could have pushed her home I probably would have been more inclined to give it a shock, oh I mean shot.

So long story short, lack of confidence and familiarity with the electrical systems is the reason.

ELECTRICITY BITES!!!!!!:rofl_200:
Literally......:biglaugh:

Let this be a lesson to us all! Never interupt a good ride to answer a call from the "Ol'Lady". It never turns out well...:bang head:

And the winner is...

Bad regulator

Congrats to all those who made the call. Thank you all for stopping by and participating.

With all the bad luck I had with used R1 Ebay rotors, why would I think an Ebay used R1 regulator would last me long than 2 months.

Congrats on getting the problem solved! Hope it didnt take your battery along with it!!! Luckily it is a fairly easy fix could have been a lot worse!

Did you confirm that everything was connected properly and it is actually the unit which is the problem? I've also installed a used Ebay R1 R/R so maybe I'm next...

Did you confirm that everything was connected properly and it is actually the unit which is the problem? I've also installed a used Ebay R1 R/R so maybe I'm next...

I went out of my way to make sure I got the stock R1 connectors. Even bought a used R1 stator and wireharness just to get the connectors.

Congrats on getting the problem solved! Hope it didnt take your battery along with it!!! Luckily it is a fairly easy fix could have been a lot worse!

Unfortunately Jim it looks like the battery in gone as well. We are going to try and hook it up to a charger and see if we can rescue it. She doesn't look good though. But it could have been worse.

Latest posts

Back