New mod, new problem.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check your kickstand switch and kickstand relay behind the left cover.

I'm not kidding. The wiring scheme is really screwy on that thing, In certain scenarios it can kill only two coils instead of four and make it almost die or just barely idle

Alright, buddy just left.

Well it is deffently a flooding issue.

Any ideas? Because I have new fuel, new plugs, let it air out, and it still is getting flooded.

Any advice would be great.

Time to clean the carbs and set the floats

Yeah but the thing is the bike was running just fine before we installed the tach. I put about 500 miles on it with no problems after the rebuild and then after we kill the battery (expected) and flood the engine (not expected, but not surprising). The problem I have now is its contently flooding even after letting it dry out and replacing the plugs.

We never touched the carbs or the floats. :?

Did you notice any missing or odd firings while you ran it before changing the tach?
You may have yourself some ignition/coil/pickup coil issues. Also have you put a meter on the battery when the bike is running? low charging voltage to the battery will cause some ignition issues too, as the battery runs down. Any air leaks around the boots?

Did you notice any missing or odd firings while you ran it before changing the tach?
You may have yourself some ignition/coil/pickup coil issues. Also have you put a meter on the battery when the bike is running? low charging voltage to the battery will cause some ignition issues too, as the battery runs down. Any air leaks around the boots?

We haven't really noticed anything, that being said my buddy did recommend I buy a new fuel filter (simply due to be replaced) and new wiring for the plugs.

The point my buddy is making and well me too, is because it was working jussssst fine.

The only thing I could think of is if the spark plugs are not firing as fast as they should? My buddy is convinced its not a power issue. the battery is 100% and we removed a lot of the old lighting and replaced them with LED's so power should not be a problem.

Check your kickstand switch and kickstand relay behind the left cover.

I'm not kidding. The wiring scheme is really screwy on that thing, In certain scenarios it can kill only two coils instead of four and make it almost die or just barely idle

He has a '96 so there's no side stand relay...

Bike was running fine, you tear it apart to install a tach, put it back together and now it won't run? I'd be looking carefully at the work you did to see if you have disconnected, cut, or pinched a wire somewhere. Most situations like this are operator error. Finding the error is the hard part!

Things typically do no break overnight, sitting the garage. Its possible though...

We haven't really noticed anything, that being said my buddy did recommend I buy a new fuel filter (simply due to be replaced) and new wiring for the plugs.

The point my buddy is making and well me too, is because it was working jussssst fine.

The only thing I could think of is if the spark plugs are not firing as fast as they should? My buddy is convinced its not a power issue. the battery is 100% and we removed a lot of the old lighting and replaced them with LED's so power should not be a problem.

Everything is working fine till it brakes... I think you may have an ignition problem because the bike idles fine and it dies at high revs and usually the bike is more prone to flood when in idle and choke on. When you rev it up do you have the choke on or off? You may also got a very rich situation there...

Bike was running fine, you tear it apart to install a tach, put it back together and now it won't run? I'd be looking carefully at the work you did to see if you have disconnected, cut, or pinched a wire somewhere. Most situations like this are operator error. Finding the error is the hard part!

Things typically do no break overnight, sitting the garage. Its possible though...

Well, we rewired everything and got everything working the night we did it. The tach was good, starting it, ect act no problems.

It was only the next day that it started having a problem. That being said, common sense points to the fact we did something wrong... simply can't figure out what it was. All the wires look good. :ummm::ummm:

Everything is working fine till it brakes... I think you may have an ignition problem because the bike idles fine and it dies at high revs and usually the bike is more prone to flood when in idle and choke on. When you rev it up do you have the choke on or off? You may also got a very rich situation there...

Ah well I was trying to point out it wasn't something that slowly creeped up.

It will actually die after a while just letting it idle. And I can rev it a bit most times, but it will die out if I hold it for a while.

At work now. unplugged it again yesterday morning to let it air out again.

Things I am going to look for next is to see if the fuel pump is pumping to much, and if the floats are in the right spot. Going to have to look that up and see what I need to look for.

At work now. unplugged it again yesterday morning to let it air out again.

Things I am going to look for next is to see if the fuel pump is pumping to much, and if the floats are in the right spot. Going to have to look that up and see what I need to look for.

You should be worried about the pump pumping less rather than too much. It just fills the bowls and maybe you can have fuel starvation for a not up to spec fuel pump on higher revs => higher fuel flow...

You should be worried about the pump pumping less rather than too much. It just fills the bowls and maybe you can have fuel starvation for a not up to spec fuel pump on higher revs => higher fuel flow...

Nope its deffently flooding rather than staving. Pulling the plugs you can really smell the gas on them. I took the plugs out Sunday at 10AM and get off work at 4PM today. So I think 50+ hours of letting it dry out should do the trick.

That being said I have been starting the bike while the fuel reserve is on and it clicks about 6 times or so. Should it be doing that?

If the bike has been sitting for a bit in-between startups, it is normal to hear it click. If the bike was running, and then you immediatly go to start it again and the pump clicks eacj time you do this, you may have a problem.

Any signs of fuel coming out the vent hoses or out the top of the carbs? Maybe you have a sticky float or crap in the bowl keeping the float needle from sealing and its causing the flooding issue. You can check this with a wet float level check. The fuel in your clear tube would rise well above the 17mm mark on the tube if the float needle is not seating.

If the bike has been sitting for a bit in-between startups, it is normal to hear it click. If the bike was running, and then you immediatly go to start it again and the pump clicks eacj time you do this, you may have a problem.

Any signs of fuel coming out the vent hoses or out the top of the carbs? Maybe you have a sticky float or crap in the bowl keeping the float needle from sealing and its causing the flooding issue. You can check this with a wet float level check. The fuel in your clear tube would rise well above the 17mm mark on the tube if the float needle is not seating.

Considering I have been starting it on reserve the last few times, due to keeping the gas at a low level, every time I start it, I hear the rabid clicking, but not when starting it normally.

I am going to add a bit more gas and start it while its not on reserve and see how it goes once I get home.

Nothing apparent as far as fuel leaking from the carbs, I dont have much/any exprence with the carbs and checking them so I could be missing it. But nothing stands out.

Back