Newbie - hello

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgrowc1

Reaction score
Hey,
I am new to the VMAX world. Got mine a couple days ago. a 2003 with 6,100 miles on it for $5,200. Think I got a good deal! I have seen some more some less so think I did OK.
Anyway I have always wanted a VMAX but could never afford nor find one. I am 25 in grad school so money is always tight. Anyway I have a 94 Honda Magna which I m selling. Great bikes actually. Long story short I convinced myself I needed a more reliable bike than a 94 with 40+ miles because my car broke down:ummm:
Anyway got a max and loving it. Having a few issues but that was expected. It has obviously not been ridden much. I am close friends with the GM at the local Yamaha/Honda place so that helps.

My issues are it took me an hour to find the gas tank lol! But seriously I need to make it idle at higher revs, not sure where the knob is for this on the Vmax. I will need some carb work at some point but don't have the cash right now due to my car but it idles at only 3-400 and often dies at a light. Usually when I am sitting in first for some reason. Is OK when I sit in neutral. I keep it at 1,000 like my magna was recommended to be at it is fine. Also got some annoying rattles, guess that's just the VMAX but when I got over a bump front end rattles and is annoying. Will get used to it though.

But anyway I am absolutely over the moon to have this max and it really makes long days at work then class etc etc so worth it you know?!!!

Anyway name is Mark. I am from England. Live here for now - Louisiana. Nice to meet you all

Idle adjustment screw is on the left side of the bike. Take a look at the chrome cover for your intake manifolds. Its the chrome H under your carbs. Below the middle section of H is a little knob/wheel for adjusting your idle.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the site.

welcome. throw some seafoam thru a couple gas tanks as well. thats the cheapest and easiest carb work you can do!

Welcome and agreed on the seafoam... Good stuff...

Check out the VMF links page for more info on the max and make sure to use the search feature. We're all here to help!

Chris

funny you said seaform. Exactly what my friend told me. I have some at home so will try it out!

Welcome! Suggest you download the service manual for future reference (it will help you find that infamous "reverse").

http://vmaxoutlaw.com/main.html
Under menu heading; Vmax Tech & Info.

There are others sites you can also get this info from. I'm sure it's in this forum somewhere.

Pretty much any links you need or info you need is here on this site. Thanks to Buster adding a links page I have been able to (over the last two years) get a TON of useful links for all of us to use.

Here's a photo of the tool bar pointing out the button you want to push to get to the links. You will then use the drop down menu to pick what key word you're looking for...

Chris

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    15.1 KB
Hey guy - I'm gonna say that was a good deal!

I missed out on a 1998 with 14k on it for 4800 (BRAND new tires, battery, brakes, brand new Cobra exhaust - Mint condition) - BECAUSE I sat on the fence too long.

I ended up paying 4800 for a 1997 with 45k on it. With a broken rear shock adjuster and a torn to shit ignition AND hugely scratched right scoop (guy had a 3 inch key chain, WITH fob dangling all over it)

I think I would likely have found a nicer one - if I waited until fall - but you only live once. And the way I am looking at it is this : She ain't much fun if she just falls on the bed with her legs spread, now is she?? Ha ha - I'm quoting a member from the board here on that one.

Congrats on the max!
________
Harley-Davidson WLA

Last edited:
Awesome forum - love the activity. I thought I got a good deal, just one of those things the guy had it, I knew he barely rode it so I told him id buy it, now it is mine. Got lucky, he said the power scared him and he was too old for that. Fine by me. I think he would have taken 5k but I work with him so asked what he would be happy with so think we were both happy.

I do need to sort the front brake out though. That and the stalling is my only gripe.

i'd use a bottle thru 4 or 5 tankfuls, so b/t a 1/4 and a 1/5 each tank haha. i wouldn't go much over a 1/3 of a bottle per tank tho. whats wrong w/ur front brake(s)?

not sure exactly, I do know if isn't stopping me though. Brake pads are fine s get my friend to look at it i guess. Any ideas? Like I keep saying the bike has not been used much, do not think at all over the winter so may be air in the hoses?

hard to tell what you are referring to. new pads are cheap, so is bleeding the lines/replacing fluid. speaking of which all things i should do soon. once u've bleed the system maybe try running the bike for a bit with the the brakes on, should burn off any glazing?

Latest posts

Back