Riding wheelies

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to get that 2-3 gear wheelie going up the on ramp so I lowered the front and rear so now it just digs in and goes.
<<Dave>>:punk:

I try to keep it on the ground. Too hard on the fork seals!

Slamming the front end down is very hard on the seals and you can also risk a blowout if you use the brake. The Vmax is a heavy bike and care should be taken to be smooth with the throttle especially when setting the front end down. Avoid quick deceleration. It pays to get in the habbit of "riding out" the wheelie so it comes down easy. Leave enough power band available so you can still give it just a touch more juice on the landing. Plus it looks much more impressive to the retirees out for their afternoon walk. They love a smooth landing! "Did you see that Harold, that boy really knows how to land that Max smooth as glass"... "Yes dear"....

I was running so hard my arms were circling in a windmill like fashion. My bike had finished cartwheeling and I see it is lying directly in front of me. Did you ever try to jump a hurdle while running as hard as you can? Its pretty tough!

My wife about had a heart attack and said all she saw was me flip over backwards, then a huge cloud of dust, my bike cartwheeling out of a cloud of dust, then me wind-milling out of a cloud of dust, hurdle over the bike, and run off the road into the weeds.

Now that was REALLY funny! I can just picture it, and got tears in me eyes from laughing so much. :rofl_200:

Great story well told.

I've had a few involuntary wheelies off red lights, love them but am always so aware of the weight of Max I'm not too comfy with them..

Now that was REALLY funny! I can just picture it, and got tears in me eyes from laughing so much. :rofl_200:

Great story well told.

I've had a few involuntary wheelies off red lights, love them but am always so aware of the weight of Max I'm not too comfy with them..

Long way I've made with mod monky'g my bike.

With good suspension and radials (even only rear radial gives much diffrence)
You can wheelie with no problem.

I've 1-2-3'd it a few times and it's a blast. Sometimes ya just gotta. But to be quite honest, not hardly at all as of late. just did fork seals last year and the breather in the middle of the block will cough oil up. Pain in the arse to clean

Nice lots of responses I knew I was not the only one who does it. I have been riding wheelies on bikes and motorcycles since I can remember. :punk: Been riding motorcycles since I was ten and been hooked ever since. I will say sport bikes are easier to ride one or dirt bikes but that's not the point. The point is I just do it for myself not into showing off just like the rush of it.

Everyone here knows the adrenaline rush you get from the vmax that's why you still ride it . I have rode all types of bikes from all types of makers world wide but the vmax still gives me the best ride for what I like to do. The vamx is like that one horse in the barn everyone likes to look at it but few dare to ride it like it wants to be rode.
Maybe it is the true nature of the generation one vmax ( I have rode the generation 2) that makes people wonder because it can be unpredictable and will spank your ass if you don't have your shit in a pile.:confused2:

On the other hand, I can wheelie my minibike all over the place. It weighs around 150lbs, pretty heavy for a "mini" bike. You can ride one for a few seconds, until the low oil sensor in the front of the pan automatically kills it. Tends to smoke a lot when wheeling too since it's the typical 30 degree "laydown" single, and when the front end rises all the oil dumps right against the rings. Lot of torque from that 300cc single....10hp and 14.5 pounds of torque!

On the other hand, I can wheelie my minibike all over the place. It weighs around 150lbs, pretty heavy for a "mini" bike. You can ride one for a few seconds, until the low oil sensor in the front of the pan automatically kills it. Tends to smoke a lot when wheeling too since it's the typical 30 degree "laydown" single, and when the front end rises all the oil dumps right against the rings. Lot of torque from that 300cc single....10hp and 14.5 pounds of torque!

I have a 2 stroke moped with 86cc, 12,5hp and about 8Nm of torque at 10k rpms!
It weights only 170lbs.
It has 4 speed transmission, on first two you can wheelie with np.
Max speed about 65-70mph.

I have it since I was a little kid and I will never sell it.
Minibikes rocks! :biglaugh:

New fork seals last spring lasted about 5 weeks due to a 3rd gear wheelie that went into no mans land and I had to chop the throttle a little hurriedly, and she came down hard.:punk:

Slamming the front end down is very hard on the seals and you can also risk a blowout if you use the brake. The Vmax is a heavy bike and care should be taken to be smooth with the throttle especially when setting the front end down. Avoid quick deceleration. It pays to get in the habbit of "riding out" the wheelie so it comes down easy. Leave enough power band available so you can still give it just a touch more juice on the landing. Plus it looks much more impressive to the retirees out for their afternoon walk. They love a smooth landing! "Did you see that Harold, that boy really knows how to land that Max smooth as glass"... "Yes dear"....

That ain't all it's very hard on!! 'The Boys' don't like being mashed flat on the airbox cover either!! :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

That ain't all it's very hard on!! 'The Boys' don't like being mashed flat on the airbox cover either!! :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

Oh ya Danny, I forgot to mention that nothing looks more hilarious than watching somebody else stop and fall off their bike squirming in pain and unable to breathe due to some serious ball rackage. It just sucks when its you! I seem to remember a number of times when "the notorious" 85MAX-fan was standing over me laughing uncontrollably while I was lying in a crumpled mass totally incapacitated, good times!

Note of caution: I repeat if you have no wheelie experience do not try high balance wheelies on the Vmax its way too risky. ALWAYS have full gear and wear armor (the more the better) when stunting any bike. Also, make sure your tires are excellent and your suspension is sound and dialed in. Speaking from experience, when you flip over on the highway you will get some damage.

I would have to disagree somewhat with Rock on this one. Since Skyshot has been down for repairs I have been jonesing for some adrenaline, and started to push the wheelie envelope on my 85. Got pretty good at it too, to the point where I started to run an extra 3 quarts of oil to address the oil starvation. Well, a week ago I almost looped it. Scared the shite outa me. It was at that point where I decided to mod the bike for safety. To all of you plagiarists out there let me just say the patent is pending on the new invention that will make me a million dollars.

The accessory backrest wheelie bar!!!
Putting the finishing touches on a die-cast die so that I can get a few hundred of these test shot to see how they are excepted by the market. My latest generation prototype has a thick pneumatic tractor tire on it and after I dialed the overhang/offset into her I can clutch-dump at about 10 mph and hit the bar hard enough to leave helmet marks on the pavement and run that wheelie out to 5th gear NO PROBLEM!

The best benefit of the "85 MAX-fan backrest wheelie manager" is that it totally eliminates front end wobble and tank slappers over 100 mph since the front end is off the ground. This sucker looks like it came from the factory too, AND you can stap a soft bag to it.

Oh dear....here we go again. :ummm:

That Briggs 1450 series gets some serious "about to toss a rod" vibration by about 4800RPM(factory governor is 3600, first thing to go). I wouldn't dare push it past 5000, since I've heard of the stock rod breaking shortly after and giving the motor a new asshole. Best I've gotten is about 50-51mph, limited by the final gearing. Kept it kind of low so it still rips off road pretty good also, got wide, knobbie tires. With taller gearing it's got the power to do at least 60. It's an automatic Comet torq-a-verter 30 series. Normally it's too smooth to "jolt" enough for a wheelie, but playing with the springs a bit and feathering the gas up to about 2200(right before engagement), then slamming it WOT lofts the front end, and I have no doubt would loop it if you were foolish enough to lean back.

i was riding a 6.5 hp tecumseh mini bike around my pond once when i was like 12, i rode through a dip -_- <<<< well when the ground leveled out i was flat on my back i didnt even realize i was in a wheelie until it was too late. i thought for sure it was gonna go into the pond and i was gonna get my ath beat by my dad but nope... not a scratch on it

They make wheelie training bars. I've seen them in some MC mags. Kind of cool for those who want to "train" themselves without killing themselves.

I've done short 1st and 1st-2nd gear wheelies. Nothing long...maybe a foot off the ground and then back down pretty soft.

I would have to disagree somewhat with Rock on this one. Since Skyshot has been down for repairs I have been jonesing for some adrenaline, and started to push the wheelie envelope on my 85. Got pretty good at it too, to the point where I started to run an extra 3 quarts of oil to address the oil starvation. Well, a week ago I almost looped it. Scared the shite outa me. It was at that point where I decided to mod the bike for safety. To all of you plagiarists out there let me just say the patent is pending on the new invention that will make me a million dollars.

The accessory backrest wheelie bar!!!
Putting the finishing touches on a die-cast die so that I can get a few hundred of these test shot to see how they are excepted by the market. My latest generation prototype has a thick pneumatic tractor tire on it and after I dialed the overhang/offset into her I can clutch-dump at about 10 mph and hit the bar hard enough to leave helmet marks on the pavement and run that wheelie out to 5th gear NO PROBLEM!

The best benefit of the "85 MAX-fan backrest wheelie manager" is that it totally eliminates front end wobble and tank slappers over 100 mph since the front end is off the ground. This sucker looks like it came from the factory too, AND you can stap a soft bag to it.

Okay sure and I am making wings for mine that way I dont need to follow the rules of the road I can just fly

They make wheelie training bars. I've seen them in some MC mags. Kind of cool for those who want to "train" themselves without killing themselves.

I've done short 1st and 1st-2nd gear wheelies. Nothing long...maybe a foot off the ground and then back down pretty soft.
Sounds like your the perfect candidate for a backrest bar. 1 foot above the ground is childs play.
Let me know if you would be interested in signing up for one, as I said I am just gauging market interest at this point. Rockatansky designed a skull patern we are gonna lazer cut into the tractor rim, and then powder coat them.
If you make it to the Moto GP and hook up with us we can talk over what kind of look you may be interested in.

:thumbs up:

Back