Shift pedal spacing...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, you guys are really going to town here. Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the shifter arm does not like being bent more then once. If you do decide to bend it you will need to heat it up. But, if you have to have more clearance there is a much simpler way. Just add one or two washers behind the main mounting bracket where it bolts to the middle gear cover. The linkage has swivels and will handle the increased angle just fine. No grinding and messing around of any kind.

Sean Morley

Yup!! Gettin' pretty far into the weeds here. no doubt!

Just one more idea..........leave the shifter where it is and move the motor to the right! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

You could easily add more washers and a longer bolt then you will ever get by grinding out the pedal since it will only move a fraction if you keep the retaining washer in place (I would not grind it too thin since there is a lot of pressure there).

Two washers under each bracket would shift the pedal about an 1/8" to the left. You don't want to move it much anyway.

If you need more then that you can heat the lever up and bend it out. Note that this will discolor the pedal but you can paint/powdercoat/chrome/polish it when done. It does run close when stock anyway.

Sean

For whatever reason the bikes like being crashed on that side. Not to mention that when it tips over off the sidestand that is the direction it is going to fall. I have a box full of bent ones I need to straighten out eventually. You'd be surprised how easily they bend in and how easily they break when you bend them back out.

Sean

You could easily add more washers and a longer bolt then you will ever get by grinding out the pedal since it will only move a fraction if you keep the retaining washer in place (I would not grind it too thin since there is a lot of pressure there).

Two washers under each bracket would shift the pedal about an 1/8" to the left. You don't want to move it much anyway.

If you need more then that you can heat the lever up and bend it out. Note that this will discolor the pedal but you can paint/powdercoat/chrome/polish it when done. It does run close when stock anyway.

Sean

sean i like your idea best.. least amount of modding with no metal working. i have no tools nor experience with that

i could also just grind down the stator cover so there is a bigger gap...:rofl_200:

For whatever reason the bikes like being crashed on that side. Not to mention that when it tips over off the sidestand that is the direction it is going to fall. I have a box full of bent ones I need to straighten out eventually. You'd be surprised how easily they bend in and how easily they break when you bend them back out.

Sean

pedals or brackets?

I have boxes of everything pretty much but mostly what gets bent are the levers and pedals.

The shifter bracket is usually never damaged.

The foot peg brackets are strong enough to bend the frame most of the time. You can tell if yours is damaged by removing the foot peg brackets and checking the mounting surface. If the surface isn't smooth then it is bent (usually shows dimples inward if bent). We can get those "fixed" by simply making tapered washers to shift the pegs outward.

Sean

I have boxes of everything pretty much but mostly what gets bent are the levers and pedals.

The shifter bracket is usually never damaged.

The foot peg brackets are strong enough to bend the frame most of the time. You can tell if yours is damaged by removing the foot peg brackets and checking the mounting surface. If the surface isn't smooth then it is bent (usually shows dimples inward if bent). We can get those "fixed" by simply making tapered washers to shift the pegs outward.

Sean

good to know i dont' think mine is all that bent tho. appears some of the guys have similar spacing. maybe all of ours had been tipped on that side or soemthing, i dunno...

i'll have to take look. i like the simple washer/spacer idea on the bracket for the pedal tho...

picked up the bracket and pedal from a parts '85 for $30. good stuff. the pedal is a bit different so i'm hoping i jus tswap out the bracket and be done with it.

so its def the pedal that got bent. the new pedal i have fits just right, but i want the newer rubber on it so i'm going to have to order that and the dust cover for the ball joint on the pedal...

from your guys opinion of this pic:

http://images.powersportsnetwork.com/fiche/images/Yamaha/2003/Motorcycles/1170_shiftshaft.gif

does it look like part 16 is just for the rubber on the pedal and part # 17 has both the dust cover for the ball joint and the rubber on the pedal?

15 is the shifter with rubber on both the foot area and the joint. 16 is just the rubber foot pad and 17 is just the rubber on the joint.

15 is the shifter with rubber on both the foot area and the joint. 16 is just the rubber foot pad and 17 is just the rubber on the joint.

that makes much more sense... thanks sean...

Anyone know how the rubber on the pedal (part # 16) is attached on? is it just slide on/slide off? or is there a glue of sorts? I can probably get over to the bike to find out this weekend, but if its glued i'll have to order a new one anyways...

I don't think it's glued on with anything permanent as we've removed them before. It isn't easy though! There is a lip it has to slip off/on

Sean.

When you removed it was it re-usable or do you have to basically destroy them to get 'em off?

for $5 should i just order another one? I bet i can re-use the joint dust cover thing (thats $5) as well plus $5 shipping, i figured before I ordered i'd see whats easily reusable...

Garrett,

I bought a shift pedal for mine and was able to reuse the rubber with no issues. Just keep in a warm spot for a while to get it pliable. I grabbed it with my fingers and rotated the rubber part 180 degrees. Then sprayed some WD-40 on there and it yanked right off.

Garrett,

I bought a shift pedal for mine and was able to reuse the rubber with no issues. Just keep in a warm spot for a while to get it pliable. I grabbed it with my fingers and rotated the rubber part 180 degrees. Then sprayed some WD-40 on there and it yanked right off.

sean and mike.. thanks a ton!

yea its in a semi-heated buddy's garage right now but i'll grab it tomorrow and keep it in a bit warmer area..

why'd you buy a new pedal? was it bent like mine?

Latest posts

Back