Wow!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
I just had a set of tires put on the Road Star a few weeks ago, and ran the bike maybe 500 miles since. This morning, I'm sitting out in the garage, looking at the bike and notice the rear axle nut with washer, and the entire belt adjuster is gone! I called the shop where the tires were installed, and got a very embarrassed apology, with the promise of new replacement parts. This guy has been my mechanic for 30 years, and I've never had any question as to the quality of his work, but this one floored me.. What would you guys do?

30 years with one effup, pretty decent failure rate, however that one is a touch scary. I would have to see if I could see why/how it happened. Plenty of changes in 30 years can effect a persons ability to perform, through no fault of their own. It would be hard, I would likely have a respect for someone that served me so well for so long.

I have a consideration that I'm pretty sure you dont have, I live where compentent techs (and many other professionals) flee states like this one to go to states like yours. I may have to keep him, but I suspect you have many other choices within a reasonable radius.

I think you should go with your initial gut feeling and start looking for your next tech (this was your initial gut feeling, yes?).

30 years with one effup, pretty decent failure rate, however that one is a touch scary. I would have to see if I could see why/how it happened. Plenty of changes in 30 years can effect a persons ability to perform, through no fault of their own. It would be hard, I would likely have a respect for someone that served me so well for so long.

I have a consideration that I'm pretty sure you dont have, I live where compentent techs (and many other professionals) flee states like this one to go to states like yours. I may have to keep him, but I suspect you have many other choices within a reasonable radius.

I think you should go with your initial gut feeling and start looking for your next tech (this was your initial gut feeling, yes?).

I will stay there, but may we'll remove and replace my own wheels from now on. He will still get the tire change jobs cause I hate messing with tube tires

I would start looking for another technician and use the guy who effed up for things that are easy for you to check.

I just had a set of tires put on the Road Star a few weeks ago, and ran the bike maybe 500 miles since. This morning, I'm sitting out in the garage, looking at the bike and notice the rear axle nut with washer, and the entire belt adjuster is gone! I called the shop where the tires were installed, and got a very embarrassed apology, with the promise of new replacement parts. This guy has been my mechanic for 30 years, and I've never had any question as to the quality of his work, but this one floored me.. What would you guys do?
Although it had the opportunity to be hazardous, it clearly wasn't. I have found parts and tools in my cars. I have found things missing. When I was restoring classic bikes I took a lot of liberties with "spare parts." I have forgotten wheel adjusters on my bikes before as well. Whenever something is missing from my bike I just usually go back and tell the mechanic and they apologize and replace it. The moral of your story should be "you don't throw away good." People make mistakes. Even 30 year veterans. But if you have a trusted mechanic, stick with him, because they are rare today.

Well I would say that's on them to make you whole in terms of giving you a safe and functional bike with all essential parts installed properly and on their dime for parts cost and labor.

I inspect all work I don’t do because people aren’t perfect. Especially when my life is on the line with said work not done right. Look at it like a QC or QA inspection 🫡

Shoot even pilots do a walk around jet before takeoff… As a weapons loader I had to tell pilots many times do not touch the missiles here or there because it could cause failures in flight. However, still good they do a walk around making sure nothing looks out or the norm. Something about the munitions they always wanted to touch 😂🤷🏻‍♂️. Probably need to run them through class on munitions no touchy parts

Well I would say that's on them to make you whole in terms of giving you a safe and functional bike with all essential parts installed properly and on their dime for parts cost and labor.
Just hand me the parts, and I will put them on. I promise you this won't happen again....

Latest posts

Back