1400 rpm idle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other than a vacuum leak, what would cause a slightly increased idle? Bike runs well, no obvious loss of power & occasionally, it idles down to 1K. Started happening immediately after changing to a round headlight setup & stainless brake lines with Brembo brake/clutch master cylinders.

Try synch'ing the carbs.

Check the cables for one being pinched. Check their placement and that they're well lubricated. Cable routing is in the appendix.

Check the rotation of the throttle cylinder that it isn't hanging-up, and is lubricated.

Sure, post this, and then I see Shawn's asking about a Gen. II!

What Rosanna Danna Danna said,,, .

Last edited:
Other than a vacuum leak, what would cause a slightly increased idle? Bike runs well, no obvious loss of power & occasionally, it idles down to 1K. Started happening immediately after changing to a round headlight setup & stainless brake lines with Brembo brake/clutch master cylinders.
Whenever you start to get a problem after you have done something to your bike re-visit what it was you did.
In this case I would be looking at throttle cable routing.

Try synch'ing the carbs.

Check the cables for one being pinched. Check their placement and that they're well lubricated. Cable routing is in the appendix.

Check the rotation of the throttle cylinder that it isn't hanging-up, and is lubricated.

Sure, post this, and then I see Shawn's asking about a Gen. II!

What Rosanna Danna Danna said,,, .
Yeah, I do the same thing, roll my eyes whenever I see a post in the wrong forum...guess it's God's way of keeping me humble.

Whenever you start to get a problem after you have done something to your bike re-visit what it was you did.
In this case I would be looking at throttle cable routing.
I have clipons so the housing is flipped upward now...but it's been this way for a few weeks & this idling higher just started a few days ago.

On a side note, I'm loving the new master cylinders. The 17RCS Brembo for the clutch set on 18mm pivot feels exactly like the stock clutch lever. I put the 15RCS on the brake, set on 18mm also. Puts the ratio at about 21.4:1, up from 13.5:1 for stock ratio. A little more stopping power with less effort.

Last edited:
Okay, need help understanding this one. The higher idling has something to do with the new clutch master but I don't see how it works. Like I said before, bike runs flawlessly. No issues with the clutch at all but as soon as I come to a stop the idle hovers around 1400...until I put it in neutral & then it instantly drops to 1K. Put the bike back in gear, it jumps up again. What in the world is that all about?

From the clutching* at straws department.

As you pull in the clutch this will pressurise the hose and it will try to straighten out. If this pushes against the throttle cable this could cause it to tighten which increases the revs.
I am still of the opinion is is something to do with cable of hose routing.

* No pun intended....well perhaps a little...

From the clutching* at straws department.

As you pull in the clutch this will pressurise the hose and it will try to straighten out. If this pushes against the throttle cable this could cause it to tighten which increases the revs.
I am still of the opinion is is something to do with cable of hose routing.

* No pun intended....well perhaps a little...
Well I'll find out tomorrow...put the stock clutch master back on.

Well the idling is normal again with the stock clutch master. Still doesn't make sense to me but it is what it is. Anybody have another bike that can use a Brembo 17x18/16 radial master cylinder?

I am at a loss other than to believe it's somehow related to tube routing, but you used the OEM routing (rubber at the handlebar, steel pipe for the routing down to the slave cyl?) for the Brembo master cyl? I forget if you mentioned that and I'm too-lazy to check.

I am at a loss other than to believe it's somehow related to tube routing, but you used the OEM routing (rubber at the handlebar, steel pipe for the routing down to the slave cyl?) for the Brembo master cyl? I forget if you mentioned that and I'm too-lazy to check.
You & me both. I used Spiegler lines with the new masters. For the clutch line, I zip-tied the stock line banjo fitting to the new line & just pulled the stocker out. Spiegler's line is all flexible, no steel pipe.

Back