Adventures with Powdercoating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pat, don't we all?

The carby bits were fiddly with masking gasket surfaces etc. but I reckon it will be worth it. Only drank about 6 cans of Beam to do it! :rofl_200:

I have powdercoated a few bits and bobs over the past few months.

These pics are some carby bits that I did in flat black, and the brake calipers. The calipers I painted black before I got the powdercoat gun, so I re-did them to match the forks.

carb parts look sick. how did u 'tape' off the mating surfaces? or just spray them on some glass or something?

That's a serious blasting set-up Patrick. You never have too much air when blasting. I'm using a gas powered compressor and just located another set of tanks. The plan is to attach the 4 tanks together for some more capacity.
Steve-o

OK my custom mix powder coats on it's way. If anyone needs a custom mix powder contact Matt at all powder paints.com custom mixed to match any color.

How cool is that! I have an 85 front wheel I had coated before I got into coating and I got it back as a "mistake" because somehow it had a multi color special effect in the powder. It was subtle but definitely noticeable in the sunlight. Same guy went out of business along with my matching rear wheel which I know is gone. I often think of my long lost 85 rear wheel. If anyone comes across a black coated rear with rainbow colored dust in it, it's probably mine. It may be in the Miami area as this is where the guy was from and probably went back to.

Baz your comment "6 cans of beam" made me wonder what you were talking about...
So I went searching and whatdoyaknow Jim Beam and coke in a can! Handy! http://www.liquorhomedelivery.com.au/showProduct/PREMIXES/PREMIX+BOURBON/24690

ha ha us Aussies are lazy!

If I'm going to a party I will take these --> http://www.liquorhomedelivery.com.au/showProduct/PREMIXES/PREMIX+BOURBON/25910

With zero cola, good for lazy diabetics! :rofl_200:

Otherwise I mix my bourbon with Pepsi Max. :eusa_dance:

carb parts look sick. how did u 'tape' off the mating surfaces? or just spray them on some glass or something?

I scrunch up little balls of newspaper to stick in threaded holes, for places like where the choke assembly screws in. And tape over the gasket surfaces, just to play it nice and safe.

What powder guns are you guys using?
How big of an air compressor is needed?

I got one of these --> http://www.caswellplating.com/powder-coating/powder-coating-systems/hv-powder-coating-system.html

I use a conventional oven, and I haven't got a compressor. The gun uses low volume, low pressure air. I am supplying the air pressure from a modified SCUBA regulator!

A good reason for a quality compressor is for media blasting, which uses heaps of air. The powdercoat gun uses hardly any.

I scrunch up little balls of newspaper to stick in threaded holes, for places like where the choke assembly screws in. And tape over the gasket surfaces, just to play it nice and safe.

high temp tape which goes into the oven or has to be removed beforehand?

my powdercoater uses a needle (like the kind to fill a basketball) on a vacuum if theres anything that needs to be removed before baking that can't be taped.

i think he also uses corks for threaded holes.

sounds like you got it covered!

It's been awhile since I last posted anything, figured I'd share where I am in my PC adventure. This pic is the fork brace over the fender. The powder shot was PBTP Super Durable Wet Black (SDWB). This stuff is supposed to be 3x tougher than standard powder...I was shocked at the results. This is my first piece using the Redline EZ50 and my new oven. Shot 3 other pieces all with great results. All pieces were degreased & bead blasted. I also now have a dedicated ground in my makeshift booth. While not perfect...the search for perfection continues...

Attachments

• SDWB.jpg
    SDWB.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 39
What did not come out to your liking? Is there orange peel texture?
Maybe can help. I have done squat in a while but have a pile O parts stripped and ready to go. Have not seen many guys post up anything cool and different in a long time.
Maybe cause its winter where they are. What better time to run an oven though right?

Well...there are a few specks of dust, but that was because I didn't have my vent on. Truth be told I'm quite pleased. I could never get that "mirror" reflection from PC that I saw pics of from the pros. I think the higher kv gun and some other treaks really helped. I do a lot of reading/research on this and everyone suggests not laying it on too thick...well this was layed on pretty think...I let it build up until I see the color change a shade...I don't have one of those fancy touchless thickness guages so I have no other real way to juge...opinions & advice are always appreciated...

Well...wasn't sure I'd be able to get this done because of the tear-down required, but Tom from Bush Hill Cycle Works in Hudson, NH made it possible...He mostly deals with HD, but was eager to take on this challenge...now the fun part...putting it back together!

Attachments

• Rear Diff.jpg
    Rear Diff.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 38
I got another stock pumpkin I should give a try coating. Wonder what I can hang it by. It's a heavy little sucker even with the ring out. Guess I need to figure what I better tape off first too. I took a photo of mine where there is some factory measurements. Was wondering if you did the same? Pics are before and after media blasting.
yjyny8yv.jpg
9emuju8y.jpg
2e7ezy3a.jpg

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

I got another stock pumpkin I should give a try coating. Wonder what I can hang it by. It's a heavy little sucker even with the ring out. Guess I need to figure what I better tape off first too. I took a photo of mine where there is some factory measurements. Was wondering if you did the same? Pics are before and after media blasting. When in doubt...Gas it !!!

were you able to take out all the internals? i figure for the hassle its usually worth sending to morley.

Definately need all the internals out...I got away with leaving the pinion gear roller bearing in as I did not bead blast...I wanted to bead blast, but didn't have access to a blind puller at the time. That bearing is all metal...others appeared to have resign cages, however.

Hanging it was not an issue as I also coated the hardware...So using a thick hanger I hung it from one of the 4 nuts that attaches the pumpkin to the swingarm.

I used a combination of tape/foil/plugs & caps to mask it all off.

Would have really prefered to bead blast, but without parts washer it would have been tough ensuring it was all out!

Back