Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome!!!! Don't ready to much unless you have money to spare :D

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Yup, make sure you get your mod monkey vaccine before proceeding further. Failure to do so guarantees 100% risk of infection. Unfortunately the vaccine has not worked successfully in any of the trials and often works similar to epinephrine by accelerating the cash hemorrhaging from your wallet.

You have stumbled upon one if the best forums on the internet with a tremendous wealth of knowledge at your disposal.

Welcome!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I'm Jamie, (male) I'm new to the forums and not much into computers I type real slow so I hope you read slow !!! I'm currently on my my 2nd 85 and have a long list of wants and needs for my current bike . I live in loudoun cnty Va ( nova) I really enjoy reading all the posts .Very helpful info and opinions which I consider very valuable .

Welcome ya'll. how'd you come up with that screen name?

Plent -t-o-parts here, infact a mostly complete 85 parts bike in my garage now just begging to be stripped.

Welcome Marsmax!!..........Be sure to check out the "Oldest surviving V-Max" thread, be sure to post up the last four digits of your vin and see where your first year Max falls in!...........Enjoy!!...............Tom.

Hi Guys and Gals,
As pointed out by another member I haven't posted here to say hello to the forum.
I am in the UK and have been building bikes all my life but have never owned a Vmax until now. I have completed work of friends machines but felt it was time to do my own.
I pick the bike up on Monday and have already bought some cans, solid engine mounts and am drawing up plans for a 'FAT' rear end.
I do not want to change the overall look of the Max..i.e make more like a sports bike like some people do, Just beef up it's classic lines....Keep it a Vmax and not a hybrid.
Anyways fellow max's watch this space :)

Hi Jaime,

Its Mike from MD. Welcome to the vmaxforum. Good to see you here and I am looking forward to catching up with you again soon to do some riding!

Take care and be safe,

Mike

I'm Jamie, (male) I'm new to the forums and not much into computers I type real slow so I hope you read slow !!! I'm currently on my my 2nd 85 and have a long list of wants and needs for my current bike . I live in loudoun cnty Va ( nova) I really enjoy reading all the posts .Very helpful info and opinions which I consider very valuable .

Hello all, new to the forum. My name is Benoit, I'm from new Zealand, I'm building up a 88 vmax, I had a 01 carbon max from new and did 75000ks, sold it, went through several otherwise bikes, back on a max and lovin it.
This 88 was a mess, now it's coming together. I'll post before and now soon, once I figure that out. I still have paint to do and tuning bu it's ll running.

20130329_200350 (1).jpgHello All,

Just scratched my 20 year itch for a V-max with this 1986. It has been mildly customized with a front fender and (obviously) custom color. Icing on the cake was that it came with a Kerker 4-2-1 and Supertrapp that will be installed shortly. Any install advice on that would be appreciated. It had been on the bike previously, so the jetting is supposed to have been taken care of already. Even has a K&N in it!

Thanks,

Andrew

Welcome to VMF Benoit! Glad to have your experience here, we have a nice "How To and FAQ" section that should bring up to speed on some of the information contained on this site, but this is only the proverbial tip of the iceberg. You'll find this section here: http://www.vmaxforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=50
On how to post pictures; look on the 3rd page of the FAQ section to find our handy guide to posting pictures.
Take a look around, read up on what's happening with all the characters on here, check out a tech article or five and post up your pictures so we can meet you and your Vmax.

Well, I just joined the site and figured it was a good time for an introduction. My name is Shane and I am soon to take delivery of a 1989 V-Max. I have other bikes, mostly modern sportbikes, which I ride on the street and race at the track regularly.

When I was in my teens, my dad and I had a lot of sportbikes. The first real sportbike he bought was a 1985 FJ1100. For it's day, that was a pretty awesome machine! Well, 1985 also saw the introduction of the Yamaha V-Max. Now, power-wise, this was the ZX-14R of it's day...putting down about 15 more hp (or so) than anything else on the road. Probably 20 more hp than say, a 900 Ninja (Kawasaki's flagship at the time)! Yes, it was heavy...but boy was it powerful!! So, cutting to the chase, it was my favorite bike at the time. I mean, I loved that bike. My dad bought one (actually two, but that is another story). A rip-snorting purple V-Max. It was an awesome site to behold. My dad and I shared a lot of great times back then. As I grew older, I saw the V-Max for what it was...heavy, a bit clunky, and not that powerful anymore (in comparison to the newest rockets). But I always had a soft spot for them.

About 10 years ago I purchased a worn-out 1989 V-Max from a coworker. It was in very bad shape. I toyed with the idea of restoring it and giving it to my dad, to perhaps relive some of the good times we shared. But the bike was just too rough, and my dad too ill to make that come to pass. A couple of years ago my dad died unexpectedly. We never got to take another bike ride...probably our last was in the early 1990's. Sometimes I get sad when I think about the good times we never got to relive. But, every year, I still find myself thinking about those V-Maxes.

I posted on Facebook about my soft spot for the V-Max. A FB contact messaged me and told me his dad had one. It was a 1989, with 2772 original miles. It had sat indoors mostly since 1996, never quite running right after some carburetor work. After about a week he sent me some pictures, and I have to say the bike was beautiful. But since it was in New Mexico the price would have to be right...after all, it is about $800 to ship it to me on the East Coast. He said he would get me a price and within a few days he contacted me. Lady luck shined upon me and the price was right! So, I quickly got a check in the mail, arranged shipping, had the bike picked up...and it is on it's way across the states to me now! Here are some pictures:

vmaxbuild01.jpg

vmaxbuild02.jpg

vmaxbuild03.jpg

vmaxbuild04.jpg

vmaxbuild05.jpg

In all of my 26 years of street riding I have never ridden a V-Max...just been a passenger on my dad's, way back when. I will soon be going through my old pictures, hoping to find some of my dad's 1985 V-Max...if I find them, I will post them in the forum. At the end of the day, I still miss my dad and I guess this is my way of reliving some of the good times we had. :thumbs up:

Welcome Warp, GREAT looking 89 there! thanks for the story, your dad is for sure smiling down on you!

Very clean looking Max there!!...........Get her running right, and even tho shes not the hottest girl at the dance anymore she will still put a smile on your face!..........Mine does!....................Tom.

Latest posts

Back