Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leco68 welcome to the forum. When I purchased my bike it was in a similar state, hadn't run in a long time and the carbs were full of rust powder and the fuel lines were clogged with dirtdobbers. I actually found a bee in the T connector of the carb. Anyway, my fuel tank was rusted out and I opted to replace mine and found one on this forum for $75. Replacing the tank is much easier IMO then coating one. Good luck and always check here for answers to any question you have. The guys on this forum are absolutely amazing and always helpful.

That's pretty awesome. Can you post more pics of the airbox cover? It looks sweet.

Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm going to look into replacing the tank, especially if I can find a reasonable price on it!

As for more tank pics, see attached. The story is my father in law was riding with a tank bag but it ended up scratching the cover and when he went to have it painted they quoted him something like $200. Not happy to pay that he found a guy who owed him a favor and he got the tank chromed for $30. He then added the black strips to further protect it. It's definitely shiny!

I also included a pic of the rack he built, which I'll probably pull off for now. Also included is a pic of the carb gauges he built so he could balance the carbs as needed at home.

Percy

Attachments

• Tank Cover 1.jpg
    Tank Cover 1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Tank Cover 2.jpg
    Tank Cover 2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Tank Cover 3.jpg
    Tank Cover 3.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Rack.jpg
    Rack.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 33
  • Carb gauges.jpg
    Carb gauges.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 37
New member from Idaho. Just picked up a 97 with 33000 miles. The po gave me a notebook with all service records, got to love that. Its got a sportmax seat, k and n air filter, crash bars, led tail light, t-boost, and cobra slip ons.

Congrats on your vmax purchase. great couple of mods too! FYI, the cobra slip-ons rob the vmax of 10+ hp, but they do look/sound good although.

New member from Idaho. Just picked up a 97 with 33000 miles. The po gave me a notebook with all service records, got to love that. Its got a sportmax seat, k and n air filter, crash bars, led tail light, t-boost, and cobra slip ons.

Hi all, new guy here..

I have wanted a VMax for a long time and recently was lucky enough to find a local one that was in pretty good shape so I decided to jump on it. It's a 05 with 16K miles on it and it "kinda" stock with the exception of drag bars, exhaust, tail light and new tires. I am guessing the rest of the bike is stock but not really sure.

Anyways, I really like the forum, a lot of great info that would otherwise be hard to find. Also some really great members!

Greetings all! I've been lurking as a member for a few months but today is the day, my new-to-me VMax is sitting in my garage!!! This bike has a good history and now it gets to start a new history with me.

It's a 1985 Canadian model with 37,628 km on it. My father-in-law has decided to stop driving and said he'd rather I have it than sell it to someone who won't appreciate it. :eusa_dance:

Now the challenging parts; it hasn't been driven or maintained since 1996 and when it was stored the carb was starting to act up, and when he tried to start it recently the v-boost didn't cycle. Other than that I will have to check the fuel tank because it was never fixed or replaced. He did have the transmission rebuilt a number of years ago.

I am planning on doing most/all the work myself and bought Damon's videos to help me through the carb rebuild process. I expect to do all the fluids, do the wire harness fix, fuel tank and carb tear-down, clean and rebuild.

Question: does anyone know of a place in the Denver area where I can have the fuel tank cleaned and coated?

He had built a rack on the back to haul stuff around, and even went so far to add a hitch to tow his 12' sailboat with the VMax. A cop pulled him over once and tried to write a ticket for towing something with a motorbike, but couldn't find any law against it. :punk:

I've attached a few pics of it sitting quietly in my garage.

I'm looking forward to being part of the forum and to getting my "new" bike ready to ride!

Percy
WOW pulled a boat with a V-Max that's gotta be a first wonder what it felt like when the boost kicked in LOL !!

WOW pulled a boat with a V-Max that's gotta be a first wonder what it felt like when the boost kicked in LOL !!

He was extremely careful with that and made sure it didn't kick in, or did very slowly. He told me that the first time the boost kicked in he was so taken-aback that it almost left him behind. :) The first time I drove the bike he kept telling me to take it easy and not hit 6000 RPM. :)

Percy

AHH, I remember my first v boost, it's scared the crap out of me but loved every second of it. I compared it to a shot of nos when I was describing it to my friend.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

New member from upstate New York. Just picked up a used 05 in perfect shape with 9000 miles. Always owned a crotch rocket. Have to admit I really love my max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welcome to the forum, there are a LOT of great people here, and any problem that you have, this forum can help you to fix.

Brought it to my local shop to be inspected and had a crowd around it. It really is a legend. Pretty cool to finally have one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys I just got my v max 2 months ago, have put 1100 mi. on it so far and I like it more and more. I live in michigan center mi. right near jackson mi. about 8 mi. from M I S speedway. I met up with some holligans (bee kepper,michigan mike and others sorry didnt get there screen names) there may 10 th. and they made me feel very welcom to be a v maxer.:eusa_dance: We went for a short ride and had lunch it was great to talk and ride with other v maxers hope to do more of it. thanks guys. vbober

Hey Bob, glad you could finally log on!!.........Good to meet you too, we will get some more riding in soon!.......................Tom.

Hi guys I just got my v max 2 months ago, have put 1100 mi. on it so far and I like it more and more. I live in michigan center mi. right near jackson mi. about 8 mi. from M I S speedway. I met up with some holligans (bee kepper,michigan mike and others sorry didnt get there screen names) there may 10 th. and they made me feel very welcom to be a v maxer.:eusa_dance: We went for a short ride and had lunch it was great to talk and ride with other v maxers hope to do more of it. thanks guys. vbober
That's one of the Grat things about being a Vmax rider, anytime yo uride with other Vmax riders it's like riding with family !

Latest posts

Back