Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all,

Just picked up my first VMAX shortly before Xmas, a blue 85 restored by none other than Captain Kyle himself. It was an interesting trip home with quite a few hiccups along the way. At first I thought it was the battery so from the side of the road I found the nearest auto shop with a compatible battery. Arrived there only to find their computer lied about the status but was able to get a slightly larger battery that fit, installed it in the parking lot and got back on the road. This lasted for about 15 miles, then dead on the side of the road again. To fast forward a little all said and done a 2 hour drive home ended up taking about 7 hours. Fortunately I have a VERY patient wife who helped by following so I could let the bike cool and jump it back to life every few miles.

This being a purchase on Craigslist I did not expect much if anything from the seller and being a complete newbie when it comes to fixing a motorcycle the outlook was bleak. After a few talks with Kyle it seemed that I had a fuel and potential relay issue. He then informed me that he didn't have a relay in his stock but could part one off one of his bikes and come over and fix the bike (this to me was completely unexpected since my initial call was just for tips to try and do it myself). Instead of disassembling one of his bikes and with the holidays fast approaching I wished Kyle a Merry Xmas so he could get out of town to see his family. Post-holidays Kyle drove on his own dime all the way to my house (about 100 miles) took everything apart; cleaned the carbs, synched the carbs, cleaned out the switches, got the bike up and running again after being briefly haunted by a bad fuel pump, and followed me on a test ride in case something went wrong all for free as part of the initial sale. On top of all that he is sending me a replacement relay to install myself to address a potential charging issue.

Definitely not your typical Craigslist experience and it seems I have stumbled on to a great group of individuals who seem to be like minded in many ways (even though I haven't posted I have been reading numerous articles over the past week and a half to learn more about the VMAX, quick repairs, maintenance, etc).

Since I am a newbie I don't know if I have the ability to do this but I would like to nominate CaptainKyle for a NiceGuyAward as seen on this post http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=27196&highlight=award for going way above and beyond the scope of a Craiglist sale. :clapping:

Now to go back to soaking in all of the knowledge on the forum...

Ryan

Welcome Tex85, yea, we already know how good a guy Kyle is, hence he already has the nice guy award. But I'm sure he appreciates people that actually aknowledge it. Good bunch here. You won't find a tighter bunch anywhere and again welcome to our Vmax family. Ride Safe, For real, take it easy till you get accustomed to it. Don't want to read about you on the "in memory" thread. Your in a nice area to ride year round with a good bunch down there in Fla. Take Care, Ed

Welcome Ryan. Kyle is a great guy I have dealt w/ him on many occasions for parts and his knowledge. I actually dealt w him for parts before I joined this forum . Great bunch of guys here and a boat load of know how.

Ryan,
Welcome and wow what a story! You couldn't have picked a more standup guy to purchase from. Glad you found the forum I'm positive you'll enjoy it

The stories lately of Kyle and Mr. Maxx's conduct I think are an inspiration for all of us that there are good people on this earth and that there ARE always standard of integrity that we would all like to strive to meet!

Hey all,

Just picked up my first VMAX shortly before Xmas, a blue 85 restored by none other than Captain Kyle himself. It was an interesting trip home with quite a few hiccups along the way. At first I thought it was the battery so from the side of the road I found the nearest auto shop with a compatible battery. Arrived there only to find their computer lied about the status but was able to get a slightly larger battery that fit, installed it in the parking lot and got back on the road. This lasted for about 15 miles, then dead on the side of the road again. To fast forward a little all said and done a 2 hour drive home ended up taking about 7 hours. Fortunately I have a VERY patient wife who helped by following so I could let the bike cool and jump it back to life every few miles.

This being a purchase on Craigslist I did not expect much if anything from the seller and being a complete newbie when it comes to fixing a motorcycle the outlook was bleak. After a few talks with Kyle it seemed that I had a fuel and potential relay issue. He then informed me that he didn't have a relay in his stock but could part one off one of his bikes and come over and fix the bike (this to me was completely unexpected since my initial call was just for tips to try and do it myself). Instead of disassembling one of his bikes and with the holidays fast approaching I wished Kyle a Merry Xmas so he could get out of town to see his family. Post-holidays Kyle drove on his own dime all the way to my house (about 100 miles) took everything apart; cleaned the carbs, synched the carbs, cleaned out the switches, got the bike up and running again after being briefly haunted by a bad fuel pump, and followed me on a test ride in case something went wrong all for free as part of the initial sale. On top of all that he is sending me a replacement relay to install myself to address a potential charging issue.

Definitely not your typical Craigslist experience and it seems I have stumbled on to a great group of individuals who seem to be like minded in many ways (even though I haven't posted I have been reading numerous articles over the past week and a half to learn more about the VMAX, quick repairs, maintenance, etc).

Since I am a newbie I don't know if I have the ability to do this but I would like to nominate CaptainKyle for a NiceGuyAward as seen on this post http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=27196&highlight=award for going way above and beyond the scope of a Craiglist sale. :clapping:

Ryan

Ryan,

Welcome to the community! Yes, I think you will find that there are a lot of great people in here and you made a very good choice in your purchase from Kyle. I will make a recommendation to you on your new ride. Ask Kyle if he could paint it yellow for you. Yellow will fend off the gremlins better than any other color. Also, yellow is the fastest pigment that can be associated on a VMax. Make sure you PM Kyle and put in this request! Feel free to tell him who you heard it from too...lol. Welcome aboard and happy and safe riding.

Todd

Hey Ryan, welcome!!
Good bunch of people here!! Enjoy the forum.. Always something going on!!
Mon-Captain Kyle is a great guy and has steered me in the right direction a few times as well..

If some of the Senior guys don't know something they often know where to find it OR someone who does.. Thanks Rusty M.. ;-)
-

Hey Ryan welcome there are many like Kyle on this site. But Kyle will always get my vote for any award that comes his way. Sean, Kyle,dannymax , Rick maxxgasser. All the vendors on here are all top notch. If you have a problem they will help you get it right over the phone or if they are close enough they may even meet you. You for 1 picked a great bike and an even better website.
Welcome aboard buddy !!!!!

Hey all,

Ryan

Speaking from experience, I, too, was set aback with Kyle's incredible generosity. Have a read: http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=20116&highlight=award. In short, the man drove all the way over to the East Coast to help me out. By the way, he already has a Nice Guy Award, and the forum only grants one of each kind. I, like you, wanted to somehow publicize his kindness with a Nice Guy, but I as you will see from the link, I resorted to making one up. :rofl_200:

{edit}
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, don't miss the next CFL Tech Day. It's a good time to have. Perhaps, if you go, we could ride over together.
This the latest thread: Florida Tech Day

Here are some past threads: Florida Tech Day, Central Florida Tech day, Central Florida Tech Day In The Country, Central Florida Tech day, Central Florida Tech Day Pictures!, Central florida Tech day, Florida Tech Day
My fondest memory of the last meet:
548371_3315748009926_1669978995_n.jpg

{/edit}

If I am in town I will definitely head over to the next tech day, it would be a good ride plus it will give me the opportunity to see mods, hear pipes, etc from other VMAX's. Naturally I have a desire to take this bike and make it my own, I just need to do a little hands on research before I can set off in a certain direction. Since you are on the east coast I imagine you would cut right through my backyard to get to Kyle (unless you have some really nice back roads that I have not been down yet). Could meet up by Orlando International and keep heading west from there.

Hi all!
I am an all stock 05' VMax owner of two years. I live in Rockville, MD.
I regret not joining the Forum earlier since there is such a trove of useful information here.

Currently bike in shop, waiting for a new front tire (cupped) - can't wait for the weather to warm up a bit.

New member here, will mostly be a lurker but have always loved and admired the power of a max. 20k is a little steep maybee one day i could find a deal on a used one. I currently just bough a Suzuki C109rt after totaling my 2005 Rocket 3 after hitting a deer. Try not to spend to much time on this forum as it will end up with some sort of max in the shed, i could see eventually picking one up if good condition for around 10k (2nd generation).

Hi, I just purchased a 1999 vmax, as my first bike. I have already found this forum to Be very helpful. I will try and post some pics of the bike soon.

Welcome Rayls, this is the place!........Enjoy and feel free to ask questions and look around!.........BTW.....The company I work for "Global Aviation Services" is based out of Olathe Ks........................Tom.

Welcome Rayls, you have stumbled upon one of the greatest resources on the internet for your new bike!

Hi all!
I am an all stock 05' VMax owner of two years. I live in Rockville, MD.
I regret not joining the Forum earlier since there is such a trove of useful information here.

Currently bike in shop, waiting for a new front tire (cupped) - can't wait for the weather to warm up a bit.

Welcome. I was in Rockville in mid December. You have a lot of traffic. Went to Clydes Tower oaks lodge for dinner. Quite a nice place.

Thank you for the welcome. I'm sure I will have questions. I hope to do some fabricating myself since I work in a machine shop.

Welcome to all you new (probably) guys! I was brand new not too long ago. Let the Mod-monkey out of his cage, you'll never get him back in!! I love this site as much as I love my Max!! I only put on 900kms before I needed to have the Carbs cleaned as she was sitting before me and I also demoed the Gear Assembly by leaving a Disc-Lock on during Launch.
The positive thing however, is that 900kms brought me a total of 4000kms on my '06!!
Go Monkey, Go!!

Latest posts

Back