blue header

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old max

Reaction score
Fella's, i have to ask a dumb question; on my 92 vmax, right front header pipe is dark blue and the left is chrome colored , just a little blueing . Which one is lean and which one is rich? Bought it recently and a/f caps were gone---some one has been adjusting the carbs. Thanks old pete

Fella's, i have to ask a dumb question; on my 92 vmax, right front header pipe is dark blue and the left is chrome colored , just a little blueing . Which one is lean and which one is rich? Bought it recently and a/f caps were gone---some one has been adjusting the carbs. Thanks old pete

Are you in Oakland Co. MI? I visit my friend in Lake Orion once in awhile. SOme good riding around the area, nice & hilly. And Jay Springsteen in Lapeer just to the north! Good for motorcycling.

Fire Medic, yeah i'm in Rochester -Oakland County would like to hook up some time; right now things are hectic but would definitely like to ride with some maxers once i get this bike smoothed out.

I guess if I had one header pipe blueing I might be a little concerned also, but most bikes, if ridden hard enough will turn all the headers blue.
But here are a few things that come to mind that I would check, and I'm sure others have more to add:

1. check carb diaphram for tears or worn spots

2. check to see if PO has needles properly installed in slides

3. check carb sync

4. check plug gap, smaller gap produces hotter burn inside chamber

5. remove all four plugs and inspect regap and read plugs for lean/rich
conditions

6. check air box boots for tight fit and fully seated on R/Front carb

Appreciate the feed back, i did the shotgun method and found the right front carb a/f screw was missing the spacer and rubber o ring i guess that could have something to do with the blue pipe. old pete

Appreciate the feed back, i did the shotgun method and found the right front carb a/f screw was missing the spacer and rubber o ring i guess that could have something to do with the blue pipe. old pete

Are you sure they're missing Pete, they can hide in there really well sometimes.

Are you running oem pipes or aftermarket? oem are double walled and resist blueing quite well, aftermarket headers are single walled and it's pretty common for these to turn colors....although, usually more of a gold-ish I think.

I have a similar problem my right front stock pipe is turning gold, near the head, is this a lean situation too?

hey everyone, we should all hook-up in Royal Oak one of these Thursdays, alot of nice bikes and Pretty Females to look at. All kinds of Busa / ZX14's / and other liter bikes all tricked out from turbos to blowers to NOS, would be nice to hang with some "VINTAGE TECHNOLOGY"

Danny, i am pretty sure -looked in passage with trouble light, all different angles and things looked clean. As far as i know i have stock headers , exhaust,[ mufflers are stock] and i am quite sure the o ring and spacer are missing but my bro thinks this is maybe how vmax's sound. Now guys i have an 84 Honda v65 magna -v4 engine and it idles smooth and it cruises smooth. The max should idle and cruise as good but the max will quit at a light . It has to be the idle passages but i've done 'peashooter and shotgun and it should run good but it does not.

Maybe your throttle cable idle screw is set too low, the screw sits right under the carb bracket and seems fairly easy to hit while adjusting carbs. Although, I do not know how many turns it should be out? Maybe someone else knows that? When I synced my carbs a couple of weeks ago (first time syncing) my idle went up a few hundred rpms.

hey everyone, we should all hook-up in Royal Oak one of these Thursdays, alot of nice bikes and Pretty Females to look at. All kinds of Busa / ZX14's / and other liter bikes all tricked out from turbos to blowers to NOS, would be nice to hang with some "VINTAGE TECHNOLOGY"

I'm down in the Monroe/Toledo area, and I would be interested in meeting up in Royal Oak if something comes of this.

Sarchin, that would be great, to meet up -you are down south a ways .I have been down there when i was driving a commercial truck, it is a nice area-cool old roads- I helped pave M125, a 2 lane through farm country , straight through the crops and the bars would let you smoke if you donated a dollar for an empty beer can. I would rather be down there than up here , traffic is still shitt- , even after the big crunch. old max

Back