Exhaust options question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcmem8

Reaction score
G'day fella's,
Im looking at buying a marks exhaust system.

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between a 4 into 2 exhaust and a 4 into 1 exhaust?

and

What will it do to a stock bike? will I have to do the carbs as well?

Thanks fella's :)

G'day fella's,
Im looking at buying a marks exhaust system.

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between a 4 into 2 exhaust and a 4 into 1 exhaust?

and

What will it do to a stock bike? will I have to do the carbs as well?

Thanks fella's :)

A 4 into 2 is; 4 pipes into dual exhaust.
A 4 into 1 is; 4 pipes into a single exhaust.
A 4 into 2 into 1 is; 4 pipes into 2, Then they merge to a single exhaust.

As for a stock bike, you'll pick up a little and loose some weight of the stock pipes and gain some great sound. As for carb adjustment, You might want to tweak your air fuel screws or change a main jet. but, to get the most benefit from an exhaust system, a Jet kit like Morley's or a Dynojet Stg 7 will help out alot.

Here is a Marks 4-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C_t1msSR0M&feature=related

Here is a Marks 4-1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAACh7F3Xp4&feature=related

And last but not least a Marks 4-2-1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY0Bjv66nNo

Hi!
A 4-2 is 4 pipes from the egine, terminating in 2 outlets (mufflers).
4-1 has one muffler.
Marks 4-1 are 4 pipes into 2 pipes into 1 muffler. 4-2-1.

Both of them are good. Both will work on a standard motor. Both will give best performance if combined with a jet kit. (about $350, and you fit/tune it yourself.)

Call Mark. I'm sure he'll be glad to explain the differences and options with the two systems. He's a really nice guy to talk to.

Wow, you really nailed that one KJ! :biglaugh:

Heh, thanks,
Just a coincidence though. I was emailing a friend of mine who is in the market for some pipes and he wanted to know about the ones Mark makes. So basically it was type a little then cut and paste.

Ok thankyou guys, I was after a bit more info if possible, I know the basics(not trying to sound like a smart ass).

What i was hoping to hear ,without having to rack up a huge phone bill is what is the difference between the two?

Why would you choose one over the other??

Thanks again for taking the time to reply :)

Ok thankyou guys, I was after a bit more info if possible, I know the basics(not trying to sound like a smart ass).

What i was hoping to hear ,without having to rack up a huge phone bill is what is the difference between the two?

Why would you choose one over the other??

Thanks again for taking the time to reply :)

All three make decent power and have a good sound. But it appears that the 4-2-1 makes a tad more power. Without seeing it on a dyno, I don't think you would be able to tell the difference power wise.

Not sure about the 4 to 1 or the 4 to 2 to 1 but the 4 to 2 allows you to keep your center stand.

And while the guys are correct about the jet kit, you don't NEED the jet kit to make the bike run.

If you shim your carb needles out .030 and open the A/F screws 3 1/2 turns it should put you right in the ballpark. Probably not squeezing out every last bit of performance but the bike will still run strong and idle correctly.

Like they said, power wise there's probably not enough of a difference to matter. So then it just comes down to which do you think looks the best. My bike came with a 4-2-1 but if I were to purchase one, I'd probably go 4-2.

Yea the main difference between 4 into 1 and 4 into 2 is the looks - I think 4 into 2 looks much better / more balanced on the Max than 4 into 1 but that's just me.

It's really down to personal preferences. More power is what those exhausts are about, and there's very little between the designs.

As someone as said, the center stand's another issue, I personally wouldn't want to lose it, and some (most) of the the 4 into 1 design dictate that you must (and even cut off the tabs it attaches to), making the 4 into 2 a better choice again.

To get the best power, you need to match the intake to the exhaust, so with a larger diameter pipe, it's best to get a jet kit to tune the whole thing optimally.

Hope this helps..

Not sure about the 4 to 1 or the 4 to 2 to 1 but the 4 to 2 allows you to keep your center stand.

And while the guys are correct about the jet kit, you don't NEED the jet kit to make the bike run.

If you shim your carb needles out .030 and open the A/F screws 3 1/2 turns it should put you right in the ballpark. Probably not squeezing out every last bit of performance but the bike will still run strong and idle correctly.

Where do you get the .030 shims?

Here

One twin cylinder kit should cover you.

2 carbs shimmed with .030 shims
2 carbs shimmed by stacking the .010 and .020 shims

4 into 1 doesn't require removing center stand mounting tabs. I had to remove mine for the Kerker I had. If I remember right you can run with the stand in place. I would run without it and bolt or pin it on when needed. Mine made 9 H.P. more than my Kerker with no jetting changes. I get 44MPG on the Hwy.

Cool thanks fella's, I think 4-2 looks best also, now I just have to find out how much postage to Australia will cost :)

Cool thanks fella's, I think 4-2 looks best also, now I just have to find out how much postage to Australia will cost :)

Ask Bazwell, he's having a Marks shipped to Perth. I'm having a pair of slipons shipped to Freo - just over $100 in shipping.

Latest posts

Back