having my carbs re jetted...anything else??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMadVmax

Reaction score
I'm having a motorcycle mechanic re jet my carbs on Friday. Is there anything else I should have him do while he's got the carbs apart?

Resync carbs while he's into it. ask for old jets back, set A/f screws, take a test ride before you pay him to make sure you have no stumbles in midrange of power band.

I took the bike to him...I have NO mechanical skills and don't want to eff anything up. He is into it as we speak and it appears that the boots that connect the carbs to the engine are shot to hell and need to be replaced. Anyone know the specifics on these boots? I looked at bikebandit.com and they look like they'll be sold in sets...20.33 for one set and 11.87 for the other. Anyone with better suggestions?

Thanks

It certainly won't hurt to have the rubber boots replaced. I need to get down and do that on my 89.. Sounds like you got some really good prices for sets...:confused2:

Dave in Florida

Bet that is priced each, not a set. Unless it is aftermarket. Even if aftermarket, I doubt that price though.

It's got the Jardine exhaust cans....but I don't know anything about it. I was going to have him re-jet because the bike came from Missouri and the elevation and climate are way different here. I'm not a mechanic...re-jetting was suggested by the guy I bought the bike from.

My mechanic found 2 things when he got to looking at it:
1) There was a switch that I was told changed the V-Boost from 5800 RPM to 3000 RPM....but my mechanic said that he traced the wires to the coil and removed the switch and wires due to having a short somewhere. The bike runs way smoother already.

2) The boots that connect the bottom of the carbs to the top of the engine are way cracked. I believe they are all 4 the same and they are part number 1151797 and $20.33 at Bikebandit.com. The guy at Bikebandit told me that they are sold in sets of 2, so I would only need 2 for a total of $40.66. The local shop quoted me $20.33 a piece for 4 of them.

I want to order the parts, but I want to make sure they are the right ones. I am also getting really antsie to have my bike back already, and it's only been gone for 7 hours. :-( It sounds like it will be in the shop for the next 2 weeks.....VERY SAD :-(

Resync carbs while he's into it. ask for old jets back, set A/f screws, take a test ride before you pay him to make sure you have no stumbles in midrange of power band.

+1 to all the above. Float levels should also have been checked before removal. Make sure they're in spec when you get it back. Ask what height he set the floats at. Plenty of threads here on checking float levels. Welcome to the forum. You can find anything you need right here.
Steve-o

Given that you have a mechanic who knows his way around VMax's. The wait will be well worth it... Once these bikes run right and you don't let them set for any length of time, they're Rock Solid...

If you have to use Ethanol Fuel. Get a good additive to counter the Alcohols bad effects and stabilize the fuel... Ethanol goes bad fast and it absorbs water to an extreme....

Good Luck,

Have him check the vboost boots while the carbs are off. They usually go bad quicker than the other boots.

Thanks Steve-o....I'm Steve also. The reason he has it right now is because it had some midrange powerband stumbles. I'll ask him about the float levels, but honestly, I'm pretty mechanically dumb....

We can fix mechanically dumb..:rofl_200:Hang around and read our misadventures.. It's a learning experience every day..:biglaugh:

Thanks Grumpy...I run non-ethanol premium and I'll have him check the v boost boots. Does anyone know exactly what boots to buy so that I can just buy them and have them installed?

Thanks Grumpy...I run non-ethanol premium and I'll have him check the v boost boots. Does anyone know exactly what boots to buy so that I can just buy them and have them installed?

Carb boots (4): 1FK-13597-00-00
Vboost boots (4): 1FK-13595-01-00

Thanx Mark, I went to Bandits and had the part number, you verified that.. Their Drawing really leaves a bit to be desired... 1 to a pack or 2, does he need to order 2 or 4???

Yamaha parts house shows qty 4 required @ $14.84 each

Thanks Steve-o....I'm Steve also. The reason he has it right now is because it had some midrange powerband stumbles. I'll ask him about the float levels, but honestly, I'm pretty mechanically dumb....[/QOTE]
You're going to love this bike. Your life as you knew it.......

I agree with the extra octane not being necessary.

Star shows 4 needed @ $20.33... Thanx again Mark...
His dilemma is that Bandit told him the part came in
quantities of 2 per pack at that price. Each sounds
more correct...

Back