Help me decide which VMAX to buy please

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which VMAX should I buy?

• Red 2005, 7500 miles, bone stock, needs new tires - $4,700

Votes: 30 75.0%
  • Flat black 03, UFO seat & led tail light, led signals, backrest, new tires, 7500 mi - $4,500

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters

evenhanded

Reaction score
I've had 2 VMAXXES already - I miss them and am going for my third but I can't pick between two bikes.

The first is a bone stock 2005 with 7500 miles on it for $4,700 - it needs tires though.

The second is a 2003, also with 7500 miles, UFO seat, UFO led taillight, led turn signals, backrest, new battery and new tires for $4,500.

Both appear to be in excellent condition, very well-maintained.

What would you do???

Figure $300 for new tires and that bumps bike #1 up to $5k (assuming no negotiation on price). That seems a little steep to me.

Bike #2 seems to be a better value, new battery/tires are a solid plus and the seat is a nice bonus.

The bikes are 100% identical except for color scheme, so there's really no advantage to buying a newer year.

My vote would be for #2.

Figure $300 for new tires and that bumps bike #1 up to $5k (assuming no negotiation on price). That seems a little steep to me.

Bike #2 seems to be a better value, new battery/tires are a solid plus and the seat is a nice bonus.

The bikes are 100% identical except for color scheme, so there's really no advantage to buying a newer year.

My vote would be for #2.

At $5,000 it would still be one of the lowest low mileage/recent V's that's I've found, on this site or elsewhere. Then again for $500 less I get all that cool stuff. Oh yeah and the 2003 has an exhaust mod where the PO drilled holes into the stock pipes. Don't know if thats good or bad. He seems like a real attention to detail guy so I believe him when he said he did it by the book.

#2 for $4K would be a great deal. I have yet to find one like that in the three weeks I've been looking on ebay, CL, Cycle trader and here.

The prices have already been negotiated, and are each only a few hundred $ over KBB trade in value. I wish I knew where you guys buy bikes so I could find deals as good, lol.

Id buy the 05, the RED ones are the fastest :biglaugh:, and like some recent visitors here, if you ever get desperate you can part it out and ASK way to much for the parts cause their"limitted edition":rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:.

Serious, I'd buy the 05:punk:

it really depends on the area you live in. KBB and nada values are a good place to get a general idea. but in areas where you can ride year round.. bikes generally sell for higher prices than in harsher winter areas. and mods and extra fancy parts really add littel to tha actual value of the bike...most folks are better off selling the bling items seperatley. seriously tho...those are both good deals really....cash talks....sometimes when you hold a big wad....the seller will bite. idk what its like in youre area...but right now its hard to sell anything...

really there is a lil luck involved. for the seller having his item available when folks are looking....and for the buyer finding a nice bike when the market is flooded with bikes that he is looking for....that will bring down the price...hopefully LOL

i allways had the best luck buying a MC in the off season. as far as price goes.

I'm an 05 fan, if it's in mint condition that would be my choice. Even needing tires I think that's a fair price. Just watch, if it's in great condition it will be gone soon... Only 2000 bikes produced for the anniversary edition....

+1 on the '05

Oh yeah and the 2003 has an exhaust mod where the PO drilled holes into the stock pipes. Don't know if thats good or bad. He seems like a real attention to detail guy so I believe him when he said he did it by the book.

Only thing this does is increase the sound. There isn't any performance increase. It does improve the sound, there are a few people ppl here that have done this.

Would be an easy choice for me...2005 model in a flash before you see some schmuck riding it down the street with a cheesy grin

$$$ talks, buy the one that you get the biggest cut in price on, though you say,"price already negotiated." A wad of cash always has a certain persuasive power, especially when you turn and walk-out of the garage.

To my way of thinking, the '03 is a better deal unless you want the '05 L.E. badge. If you aren't planning on selling it in a couple of years I would buy the one w/more 'stuff' on it. If you are gonna ride it for 2 years & sell, then the '05 may have some more interest down the road.

Now, I haven't looked at any database of production numbers, but I bet the typical sales numbers per year here in the USA are about 2000. You want "rare?" Look for one titled as a 1987 w/a corresponding build date.

Tell us when you find one...
:biglaugh:

Gotta go with Red over flat black , '05 over '03 , stock over somebody else's mods ( unless mods were exactly what I would have chosen , or worth a lot of $ for trade bait ) , pics would help us decide as well .

5Ne5K55U63G83m93l7c5k18f7ec819eaa1016.jpg

I vote for the 05. Like to do my own mods. Prefer a totally stock bike to start with. I would store the 05 bodywork, get a new set of bodywork and paint and mod to my liking... Keep all the stock stuff so can return to all stock down the road if desired. In my opinion, the 05 is one of the most desirable Maxes. :clapping: Just my 2 cents.

Drilled out muffler plate,,,,not for me,,,go pure stock, and if it is anything like mine, you will be DAMN HAPPY.:clapping:

O

#2 for $4K would be a great deal. I have yet to find one like that in the three weeks I've been looking on ebay, CL, Cycle trader and here.

What, you didn't like mine? It was on cycle trader and ebay for the past few weeks. Too many extras to list and it looked mint. sold on ebay for $3500(on the second week, first auction ended w/o bids)

Don't let mileage scare you off. People seem to view bike mileage kind of like "dog years", but that really isn't the case for a well maintained machine. Mine had 32k and worked better than a newer stock one.

Latest posts

Back