Lifting a V Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old timer

Reaction score
Question here is this , I need to take the front wheel off ,I dont have a center stand on the bike , I do have a motorcycle lift . How do I lift the bike without damaging the exhaust pipes ? Use a wooden block under the engine ? :confused2:

If you can get the wooden block under the exhaust system so it spreads the weight over a larger area and maintains balance, you should be alright to lift against the 2 front pipes, under the engine... Just insure that the whole set up is stable before you remove anything... Unless there is something out of the ordinary about your pipes that I'm not seeing...

I have a center stand that I just bolt on just for maintenance, then take it off to ride.
Or a piece of wood under the engine, between the pipes, jack up with a regular car jack and set jack stands under the crash bars if you have them...

matt you're more than welcome to borrow my centerstand if you need one.

i've just lifted mine by the pipes tho too.

There is a post where Sean said he lifts on the pipes all the time and has never hurt them. I lifted mine up on the front pipes and didn't hurt them a bit. (same situation with a motorcycle jack and no center stand, thanks to the jackass that cut off the mounting brackets :damn angry:)

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 68
While I'm thinking about it, I have a center stand I got off of ebay for $5, you can have it if you want to pay the shipping. Has all the mounting bolts and spring and is in pretty good condition.

While I'm thinking about it, I have a center stand I got off of ebay for $5, you can have it if you want to pay the shipping. Has all the mounting bolts and spring and is in pretty good condition.

Nice. I was a noob and really wanted/needed a center stand and paid $50 + $12 shipping!!!

There is a post where Sean said he lifts on the pipes all the time and has never hurt them. I lifted mine up on the front pipes and didn't hurt them a bit. (same situation with a motorcycle jack and no center stand, thanks to the jackass that cut off the mounting brackets :damn angry:)

Your picture is playing tricks on my eyes. Then engine looks like it is jacked up about a foot, but the back tire is sitting on a about 5" of wood, yet the bike is level.

I just pop off my bellypan and lift on the pipes. Done it a number of times and even left it up on the stand for a couple of weeks. No damage, warpage what so ever.

82990313.jpg

Your picture is playing tricks on my eyes. Then engine looks like it is jacked up about a foot, but the back tire is sitting on a about 5" of wood, yet the bike is level.

lol, there is a 4x4 and a 1x6 under the back wheel. I had to loosen the straps to readjust them and because the forks were off the bike tilted down on the back wheel. I caught it as it was slowly going back, and decided to put the wood there in case a strap broke.

Nice. I was a noob and really wanted/needed a center stand and paid $50 + $12 shipping!!!

I actually had to wait 6 long days and no one bid on it. I couldn't believe I got it for $5 when other stands were selling anywhere from $30 to $50. I still paid more in shipping then I did for the stand, lol

Then when I got it in the mail, I went out to the garage all excited to put it on and discovered the brackets were cut off. Talk about a bummer.

Thanks for the info/answers...I'm gunnah give it a try with lifting under the pipes...if I ruin them I'll just HAVE TO buy a new exhaust system...:biglaugh:

Just to put a finish to this post/subject...I lifted the Max with the motorcycle lift after straping it solidly to said lift...dropped the front tire , put the new fender brace and newly painted fender in place , replaced the tire and let it down ( slowly ) . Easier than expected and no damage to the pipes...:worthy:

The End .

I still can't believe we have to take the wheel off to attach the fender/brace....bad design.

You dont have to remove the front wheel when using the stock brace...only with the aftermarket braces...I swapped to the UFO brace so that's the reason for removing the wheel for me .

I just pop off my bellypan and lift on the pipes. Done it a number of times and even left it up on the stand for a couple of weeks. No damage, warpage what so ever.

82990313.jpg

+1. Mine has been on the pipes for a month already and no issues... I have another setup though. In order for it not to fall over from the lift if someone touches it i just drilled a couple holes on the ceiling and use ratchets to adjust and can grab any spot on the bike. Just for stability...

Last edited:
The 85-92 fenders and brace can be taken off with the wheel in place. The fatter forks on the 93-07 require the tire to be removed (or at least lowered a bit) to get the fender off then the brace off.

Sean

The 85-92 fenders and brace can be taken off with the wheel in place. The fatter forks on the 93-07 require the tire to be removed (or at least lowered a bit) to get the fender off then the brace off.

Sean

Not disagreeing with you Sean but I got my fender/brace off in one piece without taking/lowering the front tire on my 94 . Just a little wiggling and twisting...:biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back