" near misses "

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COP RUNNER

Reaction score
anyone have " near misses " ? sunday i went for a quick ride , good thing i was paying attention , some guy never even looked my way & pulled out right in front of me , i was heavy on the front & rear brakes , the tires groaned a little bit , the guy stopped & thank god i was able to stop , the guy looked at me & was white as a ghost ! Older guy so i did'nt give him any shit , he looked like he was scared to death ( so was i ) this was buy far the closest call i've had since about 1990 !

Glad to hear you at least avoided hitting the guy, both with your bike or your fist(s).....seems like I have to take at least some sort of evasive action about every other time I get the Max out...nothing as close as you described in a long time though (knock on wood)...

I had a near miss, but it was with a deer that was spinning through the air after it hit it head on the fairing of my brothers bike. It brushed my foot peg and either rear tire or exhaust. I also had a bird hit my front tire while I was negotiating a corner at 75 mph which kinda raised my pulse for a second or two.
We don't have a lot of traffic to worry about around here, it the wild animals we have to look out for. It seems that the deer are especially active this year, but I will help take care of that this fall when deer season rolls around.:biglaugh:

its the worst year around my way also..no one looks..cell phone....just cut in front...ive kicked more doors.....cop glad your ok... those vmax breaks work just fine dont they

We have absoutly the WORST drivers here in Reno. I haven't had an accident in a coon's age but the close calls and near miss's with idots with cell phones glued to thier ear or reading the newspaper( YES really), or "talkers" happen once or twice a month. The 'pathblaser" headlight modulator had helped but I don't have it on my ZX and this will be my next mod on it!!!! Thanks:punk:

Lew

We have absoutly the WORST drivers here in Reno.

From the way my bike looked when I got it (that I bought out of Henderson), it must have made contact with one or more of those bad drivers.....

Mostly blonde chicks on cell phones running stop signs and changing lanes, here....

Back in 2006 I was engaged to be married... She was a nearly my misses... THANK GOD I got smart! :eusa_dance:

Knock on wood... No near misses on the bike...

Of course there are always the idiots that pull out in front of you and the jackholes that change lanes without looking but that is the normal stuff. The closest I have ever coming to clocking out was back in 02 with a 18wheeler down on Hwy77. Was driving north on 77 and came to a really long curve to the left. I had only been riding a couple of months at that time and I came up behind the truck before this turn and started to pass him as he was in the slow lane and only going like 65. I wasn't going much faster as it was really windy and I had to lean into the wind to maintain my course. Well I started passing him as we both entered the curve and he decided to cut the turn and started drifting into the fast lane. He pinned me inbetween his trailor and the wall before I knew what to do. I was on the horn and just maintained my speed because I was stuck. I could have reached out and put my left hand on the wall and my right on his truck with no prob. I wanted to slow down but all I could see in my mirrors where his rear wheels so I didn't dare hit the brakes. I would never get myself into that kind of situation again having more experience, but that would have never happened if he maintained his lane. That was my first come to Jesus moment on a motorcycle. Thank god I lived to learn from that one.

Couple months ago I was heading south on the Taconic Pkwy in the right lane, a NYS trooper pulled out of a merging intersection, also heading south, right in front of me.
I had no way of knowing if he saw me and was going to stay in the fast lane, or if he didn't see me and was going to come over in my lane.
If he didn't see me, I was a goner, for sure.
Luckily he did see me and stayed in the fast lane, but I thought that was the end.
Had he waited 1 or 2 more seconds that whole situation would have been avoided.
Trained observer my ass!! :real mad:
Glad you made it through COP. Scares the crap out of ya, don't it?

dan

SINCE I HAVE HAD MY MAX , I THOUGHT THE FRONT BRAKES WERE GREAT BUT THE REARS LEFT ALOT TO BE DESIRED ! BUT AFTER THAT CLOSE CALL I THINK IT WORKED OUT BETTER THAT THE BACK WHEEL DID'NT LOCK UP & YOU CAN CONTROLL THE FRONT BRAKE PRESSURE EASYER WITH YOUR FINGERS TO KEEP IT FROM LOCKING UP , IF THE REAR HAD LOCKED UP I MAY OF LAYED IT DOWN OR HIT HIM ! THE MAX STOPPED ALOT BETTER IN A PANIC STOP THEN I EVER WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IT WOULD ! :punk:

SINCE I HAVE HAD MY MAX , I THOUGHT THE FRONT BRAKES WERE GREAT BUT THE REARS LEFT ALOT TO BE DESIRED ! BUT AFTER THAT CLOSE CALL I THINK IT WORKED OUT BETTER THAT THE BACK WHEEL DID'NT LOCK UP & YOU CAN CONTROLL THE FRONT BRAKE PRESSURE EASYER WITH YOUR FINGERS TO KEEP IT FROM LOCKING UP , IF THE REAR HAD LOCKED UP I MAY OF HIT HIM ! THE MAX STOPPED ALOT BETTER IN A PANIC STOP THEN I EVER WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IT WOULD ! :punk:

Now slap some EBC HH pads on there and be amazed! Slap real springs on it and be amazed again... I drove mine stock so I KNOW what I'm talking about here...

Now slap some EBC HH pads on there and be amazed! Slap real springs on it and be amazed again... I drove mine stock so I KNOW what I'm talking about here...
Lets see...."slap some EBC HH pads on there".....yep did that......"Slap real springs on it ".....yep did that too.......Yeah (sips coffee) it's amazing, just funking amazing the difference it makes. :banana::eusa_dance: :banana:

its the worst year around my way also..no one looks..cell phone....just cut in front...ive kicked more doors.....cop glad your ok... those vmax breaks work just fine dont they

I used to live in Boston 113. I know what you mean. :bang head::bang head::bang head: I didnt ride while I was out there, way too scary for me. :worthy:

Now I live in So Cal and it is almost daily some stupid cager on their freaking cell phone pulls out in front of me. I just upgraded to the busa 6 pot calipers and I feel much better now.

Glad to hear you are ok Cop Runner.

Yep, had one of them there "near misses" last Saturday. Thing was it wasn't a car, was another Max!!! During our Chapter 507 ride we always have a riders meeting before we start out on the twisty section. The beginner/inexperienced riders are told to take their time and if you are going to be passed hold your line. As I was bombing a corner at a pretty good clip and passing a slower bike on the outside. Unfortunately the rider was going a bit faster than he was capable and he started sliding out into me. Thank goodness that there was no oncoming traffic and I was able to slide out and not have to hit the binders. Was my fault for attempting to pass in the corner, should have waited till a straight stretch.

Glad you and the Max are ok.

I had my 'near miss' on March 4, 1987. A 15yr old girl/student driver turned left in front of me - with my wife in the other lane in our car as an up-front witness to the accident.

After 22 months, 3 surgeries to my right elbow, I still can't straighten my arm 100%. Her insurance paid for all this accordingly. I got a 2nd brand new 1985 Max leftover in a crate from the warehouse and am still riding it.

Drivers in Florida (spring bike week this year) are the worst I've ever experienced - whether or not they have a cell phone glued to their ear.

You never get used to it. You always have to watch for it. They WILL change lanes on top of you.....sooner or later.

Glad you and the Max are ok.

I had my 'near miss' on March 4, 1987. A 15yr old girl/student driver turned left in front of me - with my wife in the other lane in our car as an up-front witness to the accident.

After 22 months, 3 surgeries to my right elbow, I still can't straighten my arm 100%. Her insurance paid for all this accordingly. I got a 2nd brand new 1985 Max leftover in a crate from the warehouse and am still riding it.

Drivers in Florida (spring bike week this year) are the worst I've ever experienced - whether or not they have a cell phone glued to their ear.

You never get used to it. You always have to watch for it. They WILL change lanes on top of you.....sooner or later.
HOLY SHIT , YOUR LUCKY TO BE ALIVE ! MAN PEOPLE IN CARS SUCK ! :th_biggun:

Paranoia is a healthy state of mind in bikers.
Ride like you believe every other road user is out to kill you and you will always be ahead of the game.

My close call was a 70-mph panic stop on US75, thanks to a landscaping trailer's stopping in front of me - and with no friggin' brake lights. Lucky I wasn't packing heat that day.

For the left-turners in front of me, I've just ordered a headlight modulator, and plan on installing it as soon as it arrives. $100 bucks is nothing compared to a faceplant on some soccer mom's Navigator grill.

Latest posts

Back