New to VMAx forum

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prettiboy

Reaction score
What's going on V-Family. I'm new to this forum, but I've been a avid motorcycle rider and drag racer for years now. I just sold my 06 GSX-R 1000 dragbike to work on my father's old '85 VMax. He had a stroke two years ago, and is living his continuous dreams thru me now.

The project bike was originally his, sold to a family member, now back in our possession. I want to make this a good Father-Son project. Of course, the overall modification is to my liking more than his. The bike will need a little TLC and detailing. I need some ideas on what to do. From doing a lil' research here is what I'm thinking to do:

Drag bars
upgrade to 180-190 series tire on 17" rim
lower front and rear
upgrade exhaust
custom paint color of my car (Mopar Plum Crazy:punk:)

I'd like to stay away from chrome other than wheels. Frame, motor, bars, etc remain black other than accents.

Anyone got any other suggestions and or parts to sell me.

Thanks

AJ

Welcome, you'll like it here, some really helpful guys on here.....

To get full enjoyment out of it I would address the handling issues first...

Frame braces
Fork brace
Better rear shocks
Front springs and maybe cartridge emulators
The biggie here is bracing the swingarm, makes a big difference as the factory arm is like sphagetti, and bracing it yourself isn't that hard, but is still fairly cheap to "hire it done" as well. You can aslo notch it at the same time to allow up to a 200mm rear tire...
Properly adjusted front neck/triple bearrings...Inspect the bearings first, maybe by just getting the front wheel off the ground and checking to make sure the bearings feel smooth and don't have any rough spots or "indents" you can feel when moving the forks side to side....
Solid motor mounts can help too, but they can make the bike buzzy then your gonna be looking for some cushier grips...

Lowering looks great, won't help the handling any though unless you maybe lower the front slightly more than the rear. I ran mine lowered for a long time till a quit running it at the strip....

Pipes are a mattter of choice in sound and looks, most provide about the same improvement as long as you stay away from "slip ons only" that keep the front pipes, and especially stay away from the Cobra slip-ons which look/sound great but are 4-4 and have no scavenging....lose HP

Jet kits, don't bother with stage one, either Morley's Muscle kit or Dynojet Stage 7 are worth while, both about the same up top, Muscle kit is better in the Mid-range.....Sean Morley is a member here and we support him not because he's a member but 'cause he's a great guy with excellent service...don't let his website fool you..it's not as pretty as some others but he's the best and can get anything you want just about....He's building a 1540 monster motor for me right now....

Ditching the rear wheel and going with a 17" rear to run radials is a great choice, The front wheel you can mount a radial on.....I'm running an 18" rear and wish I had have gone with a 17", tire choice is much better for 17"...

Front brakes, lots of choices there, the easiest and most common is the R1 front calipers, they are bolt on for the later models, not sure about you're 85.

Stainless steel brake and clutch lines, easy mod, fairly cheap and worth it..better feel and feedback and probably needed if your still running your original 85 lines...

Bars; matter of feel of course, I ran drag bars for a long time but finally changed to a Pro-taper SE series "Carmichael" bend, low and wide with just a slight raise and pull back....Had to lose the drag bars 'cause they were going to hit my aftermarket fake tank cover....

Electrical, some TLC is probably due your 85, some good info in the electrical threads on how to get it up to tip top shape, usually charging issues occur due to crappy connections and an inferior factory wiring harness....

Good luck and welcome to the forum:punk:

Just about any of these subjects can be greatly explored/researched right here on the forum under the appropriate topic heading and some great "sticky" members have provided....

Welcome! Sounds like a great project!

Sounds like we think a bit alike. Minus the purple paint... (don't pay attn. to the blue painters tape. It protects the paint from the tank bag)

Enjoy!

Chris

Attachments

• DSC00543.jpg
    DSC00543.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 39
You really going to stick with that nickname...? :biglaugh:

JK...welcome and have a good time with the project .

Welcome to the site AJ, I'm sure as you look around you'll find volumes of information that you can easily put to good use! If you have troubles all you need to do is ask!
Rusty mentioned very good suggestions on ways to go with the bike. One I'd like to add for our early years bikes ('85 to '92) which Sean Morley offers a adapter so we can add 6 piston Tokico calipers (they are from Hayabusa's; years ~'98 to '04) and larger rotors (298 mm) to bring the brakes up to modern standards.
Here is a picture of the setup on my '92:

Attachments

• IMG_0844.jpg
    IMG_0844.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 20
Welcome AJ, sounds like a great project you are starting! :clapping:

In addition to the mods already mentioned I'd recommend getting it up and running in stock form and see if there are any obvious 'weak spots' that show up.

Also, pics man....lots of pics!! We thrive on them!! :punk:

welcome to the forum man, sounds like you got a awesome project ahead of ya.... and yes lots of pics please

First off, welcome! Second, what are the last four numbers of the VIN. Next, I question the user name too. Last, we want pictures! As soon as you get your research done, post up what you want in the "classified" ads on this forum and we will either sell you some of out extras or tell you the places to go you can trust.
Plum crazy, Rock On ! Hey, that should be your username!

I've been MIA for a while, been traveling with the wife the last month. Thanks all for the ideas and warm welcome. Let's clear up a few things..........The screen name is gonna stay. My frat line name from college, my known drag racing name, so it works. By all means, call me AJ.

I'm working on posting pics ASAP. Stay tuned

Hi evryone, I'm looking to buy my first Vmax. Do all Vmaxs in the states have V boost? I'm looking to get an 05 model

Last edited:
Back