Purchased First V-Max, now what?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natedog650

Reaction score
Before you say "get on it and gas it" did that! 145 miles getting her home last night and loved it.

I'm sure some most of this is elsewhere but haven't seen it yet and tired of looking.

I want to go over the bike, check a few things. What would be recommended before extensive riding?
I am getting some minor backfiring on decel, some at idle, thoughts and recommendations?

Fluid changes, oil, coolant, dif/shaft drive?

Air filter?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks much!

Post some pictures and information about it..... Miles mods, stud like that

When I bought my 06 I either immediately performed the following, or within a day or two:
1) Dumped engine oil and replaced filter
2) Bled the front and rear brakes along with clutch
3) Changed coolant
4) Changed rear dif oil
5) Changed spark plugs
6) Filled tank with non ethanol petrol and a helping of Seafoam
7) Lubricated the speedometer cable and other lever pivot points, including the throttle.
8) Inspected the air filter

Almost as quickly, within the first few weeks, I then performed the following:
1) Replaced the battery.
2) Soldered all of the connections and plug harnesses to improve the voltage at the battery terminals.
3) Ended up pulling the carburetors and cleaning them, since the Seafoam wasn't effective.
4) Replaced the air filter

Depending on what kind of story about the life your Max has had from the previous owner, you might want to check more items like caliper piston seals, rotors and steering head bearings. (the list goes on - Hell the carbs alone could have a complete section IF previous mods are in place)

Hope this helps

I've ruined my eye's reading all the past threads on here . I would besides new fluids I would check gas tank for rust and change fuel( I'd open filter just to see) I'd also check voltage readings .. Good people here that are willing to help just ask!! make sure of tire pressure also :punk:

And you should grab the Manuals:
Here's the Parts Microfiche:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...rt_Numbers.pdf
The Service Manual:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e%20Manual.pdf
And the Owners Manual:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Manual_US.pdf
Here's a download link for the Cyclepedia Vmax Service Manual I converted to .pdf format:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...P%20Manual.pdf
Haynes Manual:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55030067/Haynes - Yamaha VMX1200 V-MAX 85-03.pdf

Before you say "get on it and gas it" did that! 145 miles getting her home last night and loved it.

I'm sure some most of this is elsewhere but haven't seen it yet and tired of looking.

I want to go over the bike, check a few things. What would be recommended before extensive riding?
I am getting some minor backfiring on decel, some at idle, thoughts and recommendations?

Fluid changes, oil, coolant, dif/shaft drive?

Air filter?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks much!
Look up "shot gun" and "pea shooter" procedures because the most common problem with these bikes are carbs clogging from setting too long.

YES! most definitely, get a leash for your "monkey" 'cause hanging on this forum, it's like Planet of the Apes UNCUT.

My advice would be just do the maintenance stuff for now, ride it and find out what you like and don't like about it before you go spending money on mods, I wasted a few bucks in the beginning on the wrong mods.

Check exhaust headers for leaks, can cause popping on decel. As the Maxxers have suggested, clean the carbs, seems like everyone has issues with them at some time or another. Any wobble on steering? Maxie is known for that but there is a fix called the Furber Fix, look it up on this forum. Did this to my '95 and no problems since. Maxie also tends to want to run straight ahead, you must make it bend to your will like riding a thoroughbred stallion.
Congratulations on your new beast.

Just want to thank everyone on here for the advice, as soon as I have a day off I'll be starting on this list. As for now, I've ridden her a couple of times and have some bogging down when I get on the throttle, if I hit the choke it seems to alleviate that then remove the choke and ride until she bogs again. Also some back firing so I think I have some work ahead of me. I will be asking quite a few questions I'd imagine as soon as I get into it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Hey all, need some help. Local NAPA cant find part numbers for a few things and i am stuck at Knotts berry farms (after working 10 12s just the place i wanna be) anyhow, trying to get parts ordered by.5 pac time to have by 8am tomorrow, trying do this and.shotgun and ride by 12.. Need air filter, fuel filter, plugs, not stock but not kn just yet, somethingin between you guys have been happy with previously. Plan to run rotella like in my klr. Anyone able to shoot me any part numbers? Thx!

DPR9EA-9 for the plugs

Here is a part number that might work for the air filter HFA4910

EDIT** Here is also the stock number 1FK-14451-00

Thanks gents, turns put they have plugs, oil filter and fuel filter in stock, need to.check on air filter.
So have new front tire, wth with tourmaster to match rear, oil, plugs fuel filter, tire and shotgun to do by noon. Ride at 7 to see if seafoam has done anything then get to work. Should be a good day,

I thought they were 8ea-9

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It is supposed to be dpr8ea-9. I would personally use what the V-max owners manual says and not what someone on another forum has said unless they justify why.

Matt

Back