Purchased First V-Max, now what?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, ran into a problem. Shot gunned 3 carbs, all the bolts on the diaphragm covers were pretty jacked, used vice grips to removed them and bought Allen heads to replace them. Removed the diaphragms and one has been "repaired" you can see its thicker and there is light coming through in a couple small spots. Next two of the mixtures screws are totally jacked, one so bad I've yet to be able to remove it. Soaked with wd40 and tray again later but need two replacement mix screws and a diaphragm. Best place to get them? Recommendations to get last mix screw out? Sure I'm going to need to sync because last two mix screws didn't seem to have been backed out at all or just so messed up I couldn't tell.
Plugs were black on the tips, little bit of white, didn't look too bad, replaced anyhow.

Whoever wrenched on this last didn't care. Air cover wasn't attached, missing screws, bolts, bowl drain tubes missing or just not pulled out from between carbs, halfway put back together. Surprised I was even able to get it home.

I'm no bike mechanic but I turned wrenches in the corps and this was just plain lazy.

Thanks for any input, I will need it.

Anything that you need to fix, this forum will know how to.

Dannymax should have all of the carb parts that you need.

I help Danny with a few items but he has some sources he uses of his own. So, there are a number of guys you can get parts from on here.

Having found slipshod work on the carbs, I would be looking at the brakes and clutch especially carefully from one end to the other. Let's hope the numbskull didn't remove the engine covers and try to replace his clutch and ended up w/'extra' fasteners he threw-away, or worse.

I would loosen and re-torque any fasteners you can reach for the bike, you may find more examples of his 'work.'

Also, fresh fluid change-out in all appropriate locations.

Having found slipshod work on the carbs, I would be looking at the brakes and clutch especially carefully from one end to the other. Let's hope the numbskull didn't remove the engine covers and try to replace his clutch and ended up w/'extra' fasteners he threw-away, or worse.

I would loosen and re-torque any fasteners you can reach for the bike, you may find more examples of his 'work.'

Also, fresh fluid change-out in all appropriate locations.

Yeah, that's the plan. changed plugs, oil, filter, have the fuel filter and gear oil yet to do, and still working on carbs. Once i'm done or while figuring out what to do about the mixture screw, I'll be running through everything. Hoping screw will be a little loose tonight when I get home, not sure how to get it out if it's not.

On the mixture screw.....squirt in some PB blaster....and walk away. Come back in a couple of hours.....and see if its loosened then.

On the mixture screw.....squirt in some PB blaster....and walk away. Come back in a couple of hours.....and see if its loosened then.
PB blaster is the sh** but don't get it on anything rubber I've had it eat into that before

Ok, so stupid question, the Rubber "diapragm" connected to the tube with the needle at the end you pull out of the side of the carbs is called a slide?

I am not a bike Mech, I wrenched on Turbine engines in the Corps, they don't have Slides!

The "tube" is the slide - the rubber is the diaphram.
And it is the top of the carb- they sit sideways for some reason and they are not downdraft- Right there poses your most common problem with these bikes- Let them set for too long and the carb jetblocks get clogged.

Thanks again, actually Lvlheads link was the one I used to perform the shotgun yesterday. So Sean tells me the right side Mixture screws commonly get stuck? That's my issue now, any preventative ideas once I get this last one unstuck?

Thanks again, actually Lvlheads link was the one I used to perform the shotgun yesterday. So Sean tells me the right side Mixture screws commonly get stuck? That's my issue now, any preventative ideas once I get this last one unstuck?

You can run to lowes and get some small caps to place into the mixture holes to keep moisture out.

Good idea, think i will do that.

Ok, thinking I may have to drill and use an extractor on this mixture screw, any thoughts before I do? Giving the pb blaster some time but seems next logical step.

Latest posts

Back