Speed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 and then some!!!
but there is NO out running Motorola

This seems to be like the Holy Gospel of police scare tactics. Yes, you can outrun the radio. Been there, done that. It's not as hard as cops would like you to believe.

OK, so radio waves travel at the speed of light. But what receives those waves? Another slow cop car. And those lightspeed waves carry fallible human information, so if the transmitter doesn't know your true direction, it's useless. The best way to "outrun" the radio is to ensure the l-e-o who spotted you loses sight of you a-s-a-p. If he doesn't know where you are or where you're going, the almighty radio is worthless as tits on a bull. I guess they could put out an alert, but if you smoked past a cop at 100+ I doubt they got a very good look or description of you any more than general bike color.

Radar detectors on bikes are IMO pretty useless. Without complex/annoying helmet mount LEDs or beepers you'll never notice it going off, their effectiveness varies greatly based on terrain, corners, your speed, ect(anywhere from a "ticket alert" to going off 30 seconds before reaching the check). I have a Whistler in my truck, which works well enough, has saved me from a few local town speed traps and such, but I wouldn't barrel down the highway at 120 and feel invincible with it. It's not that reliable.

If po-po gives chase, you've got to make a quick decision.
Did they see my plate? Do I have somewhere to go....how far to the nearest exit....where does that exit go? Preferably to a town or city I can disappear in. Another highway or surface road is no good.

Honestly the best tactic I've found is to find a group of buddies who like to speed also, and go haul ass with them. And by haul ass, I don't mean 85 or 90mph. I mean like 120+. We have blown by dozens of cops on the highway, the pack of four of us doing anywhere from 120-170(the sportbikes). Only one time did one pull out, it was only me and a buddy, and we lost him. Cops will realize that bikes going that fast aren't even worth the effort, you'll be gone by the time they even merge into traffic and get up to speed.

I don't run a detector/ jammer, I live in a rural area where there's not side roads every mile and if you're running more than likely they would have that road covered quickly.
That being said I do live in a rural area where there is not a lot of enforcement! Within my neighborhood is a Sherrif, a State Trooper, 2 more local cops and I know all of them. All except the State Trooper I could count on getting a break, not even get pulled over and just a finger wagging. 3 years ago I was on a state hwy messing around and a Sherrif I did not know then but do now got me on radar at 102 -100 -97 in a 55 zone but wrote it 85 in a 55 so I could ride home. That ticket cost me $165 and I was glad to pay it.

UM......Where is COPRUNNER in this conversation???:ummm::confused2::ummm:

I live in the middle of nowhere. I ride in a lot of places where there is nothing to detect.

From my experience dodging cops, it's true radar detectors only work on interstates where the cop is shooting vehicles in front of you first. The laser seems interesting, but the best way to keep from being caught is a very large set of balls and good riding skills. Not saying this is the answer for everyone but being able to get far enough out of site then the patience to wait in a hidden location until you can come back out after the heat cools a little. Most of all try to use good judgement on where and when to throttle up.

Got pulled over going 75-80 not sure cop gets out looking my 2010 over new vmax huh. He asks how fast does it go?i said as far as iknow 55 he laughs asks to sit on it tells me he rides too says slow down. I run into to him a few weeks later a local bike show he rides a vrod.turn out were in the same class i win he comes in second bet he wishes he gave me a ticket lol

Yep good old Newfoundland. If you coming around the st. Johns area you should send me a pm and see if we can meet up.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

I'd save your money on radar detectors. The only thing they're good for is to tell you that you've just been clocked.

I don't know about down there, but up here "Instant on" is the method preferred. By the time your radar detector goes off and you react to it, The radar has clocked you, then verified the number, many many many times, under a split second. Unless you're fortunate enough to catch a radar reflection from another vehicle being targeted ahead of you, the radar detector is useless against "instant on".

However the Achilles heel of the radar, is that motorcycles aren't easily picked up in traffic. If your doing 70, and a truck is behind you doing 65, the truck is going to get clocked. Things with greater mass and metal will get picked out of the bunch first. That's where the laser radar shines over the Ka band radar. But if your the only one on the road or no one is really around you, you'll be the star.

Right on KJ. My brother has a fancy detector and a speeding ticket that cost just as much. All he know's, is when he's been had.
I get my jollies smoking his ass on a roll on then letting him roar by at about 100mph as I shut down. The salesman told him his k1200s was the fastest thing he'd ever need. I'd give him a ticket just for buying that ugly bike.
Steve-o

Got pulled over going 75-80 not sure cop gets out looking my 2010 over new vmax huh. He asks how fast does it go? I said as far as I know 55 he laughs asks to sit on it tells me he rides too says slow down. I run into to him a few weeks later a local bike show he rides a vrod.turn out were in the same class i win he comes in second bet he wishes he gave me a ticket lol

LMAO.....Thats great!

Well first off you gotta know where to open it to WOT. I stay with in the speed limit in around the highways near town, we have too many cops running around in marked and unmarked cars. I do not care for the traffic on the highway in the city anyway, people are too busy doing everything but driving.

Back