Thinking About A Goldwing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregoryuw

Reaction score
Hey Guys , Had a chance to ride a goldwing over the weekend ... I think it was more of a thrill from my buddy who got to ride my 2nd gen max .
I was pretty impressed allway thought of that bike as the old mans bike , with the lower slung motor made that bike feel very nimble .
I really like the more sporty F6B version but the full wing has all the buttons and whistles , I don't care for big ass but have seen full wings with aftermarket bagger tail .
Any of you guys have or have had goldwings in the past or present .
None of my Vmax machines are going any where just possibly adding to the family .

I have not had an 1800 but I have rode quite a few of them very nice bikes. I am currently on my 5th Wing its a 1500 although not as quick and nimble as the 1800 but has more leg room & I love it.

I don't like the new Valkyrie , I seen it last year at the NYC cycle show and it reminds me of the Suzuki B-king ... that was a big flop too , a one year wonder .
I liked the old Valkyries , they had style plus it took a case of beer to polish all the chrome and knooks and cranys .
The only bad part of the full wing is the price , cheapest I seen was 23k ... I would just do a F6B deluxe ... its a buyers market right now .

You should have us build you a Venture Max. Got one in progress right now that's going to turn out very sweet indeed.

I just purchased a 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale has all the bells and whistle's available back in 86 and me and the wife love it, and on the plus side it's very similar to the Gen 1 max so working on it isn't so bad, probably older than I would have liked but the for 2 grand and it's in great shape still nice and shiney and I figured if it turned out I didn't like it I wouldn't be out a lot of money. I say try a Venture can't hurt and if you don't like it send it to Sean with your max and make a Venture/Mas out of it !

Never rode a Goldwing yet, I do think it's time for Yamaha to put the Gen 2 max engine in a venture platform and step up to the new world of touring.

Mike

I did look at the FJR1300 and the new ES version is pretty amazing with electronic adjustable suspension , has different drive mods , traction control , led display ... pretty awesome machine with the exception os the color ... Yamaha is not suppose to be red ... I want to know who at yamaha picked that ugly color .

Never rode a Goldwing yet, I do think it's time for Yamaha to put the Gen 2 max engine in a venture platform and step up to the new world of touring.

Mike

I second that..............I've been wanting a newer goldwing but when I get sticker shock, I too go back to considering a Venture.

Sean,
What do you do to the Venture to MAXimize it? Prob besides the extra 100cc & working V-Boost I assume? Comes standard with the "overdrive"...........

i have and rode a goldwing before i got my max. it's a 78 gl1000. fully dressed, i've ground the floor boards more than once, and a few times with my wife on the back anybody that says they are not nimble for a big bike never rode one. i honestly think it handles better than the vmax, but i think the vmax handles good, it's never gonna take corners like a rocket. i've gone on rides well over 300 miles, and stopped for gas once.... and was able to walk and feel my arse afterwords. in 75 when honda first built them they were the 2nd fastest bike in the world, just a step below the kawi z1. ive modded my 78, as much as i could. never rode a new, or newwer wing, but they are the cadillac of all bikes. as far as ride, reliability, and mileage range on a tank of gas. my 78 wing gets around 50 mpg with a 5 gallon tank. pictured above with my max

I have owned a goldwing of one shade or stripe for the last 15 years and I consider them as vital to my cycling enjoyment as the vmax. I put more miles on the wing as it is able to carry all manor of stuff and get you where ever you at going with out beating you up. Add in that they are surprisingly nimble and quick, offer great wind/rain protection and you have a true 'all around great bike'. Really can't say enough good things about goldwings. Of course there is one glaring downside to them.

You will never daydream about a wing like you do about you max.

There are plenty of good used wings out there was cheaper than 20 grand & the engine's will run forever with proper maintenance so I would shoot for a good used one. I have seen several with over 300,000 miles on them & still going strong.

I own an '82 wing (1100), and I am looking to upgrade into a 1500, or 1800. It's great for what it is, it is not meant to be a hooligan. I use it for my winter bike, that huge fairing is great for blocking the cold winter air!

I own an '82 wing (1100), and I am looking to upgrade into a 1500, or 1800. It's great for what it is, it is not meant to be a hooligan. I use it for my winter bike, that huge fairing is great for blocking the cold winter air!

Got the Hooligan covered !

Last edited:
It's great for what it is, it is not meant to be a hooligan...

Who says it can't
hondagoldwingbobberblack.jpg

http://www.classic-japanese-bikes.com/Honda-streetfighter-motorcycles.html

Back