Vmax vs. Warrior

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnaVMax

Reaction score
I was wandering what everyone else thought about the yamaha Warrior and Midnight Warrior. I had the privelage of riding a warrior the other night and thought it was an absolute blast. The warrior put down some serious power and great handling. What do you guys think of them?

Here's my take. Take the Warrior's forks, wheels, brakes. Throw away the engine, belt drive and install Vmax engine and final drive.

I was just talking to a guy I work with that just bought a BMW, he has an old one that he has 300K on it and is running strong.
the one he has now is a 1200 with telelever front suspension and a uni swingarm in the rear ,ABS linked brakes and GERMAN engineering 165bhp 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, 98lbft of torque.
Get a BMW and you will never regret it. my next bike will be a BMW for sure!
Just ask yourself a question do you want to enjoy the bike or enjoy upgrading it ?
________
Twinsburg Stamping

Last edited:
I'll give you MY thoughts. I had an '04 Warrior. I rode it for about 1/2 a year. When I sold it, it was to get the V-Max. I'll try to keep this fairly brief, but here are some of my observations:

The Warrior looks really sharp. It is one of the best looking V-Twins out IMO. Handling? Good (for a cruiser) on the more open sweepers. The chassis is more stiff and the suspension more refined than the Max. On highspeed sweepers, the Warrior would well indeed vs a Max. The ground clearance on the Warrior is what hurts it. Then only if you ride on a tight, technical road.

Power? Max has it. The Warrior engine is VERY slow revving w/ a basement lvl red line. The Torque right off idle is nice but gives out fairly quickly. The bike never felt "fast" to me but actually was fairly quick for a cruiser.

I sold the Warrior in large part for the riding position. I cant do the feet forward, @ss in the bucket anymore. I just dont feel in control. I also levered the front wheel off the street in a hairpin turn and never trusted it afterward.

That was just me. Anybody that likes the Warrior? :cheers00:

I bet the guys from rswarrior.com will be over here to join this thread...lol

Thw Warrior is a nice handling, good looking relatively powerfull v-twin. If thats what you want.

Personally I'd rather have the faster v-4, that is more aggresive in stlying and seating, and can take tighter turns easier

I just race a friend with his Warrior

My Vmax is a stock 2006 and his Warrior is a 05 with an aftermarker exhaust, air filter, and power commander

The warrior pulled hard from the startup but the vmax rev a lot more in each gear and he was 150 ft behind me when I push 3 gear.:eusa_dance:

project1972 said:
I just race a friend with his Warrior

My Vmax is a stock 2006 and his Warrior is a 05 with an aftermarker exhaust, air filter, and power commander

The warrior pulled hard from the startup but the vmax rev a lot more in each gear and he was 150 ft behind me when I push 3 gear.:eusa_dance:

Imagine if you had your v-boost set at 3K:bicycle:
________
vapir oxygen

Last edited:
Too bad that you couldn't ride a properly tuned stage 7 with a good flowing exhaust one time.You would throw your t boost in the trash.

Last edited:
shawn kloker said:
Too bad that you couldn't ride a properly tuned stage 7 with a good flowing exhaust.You would throw your t boost in the trash.

Well what can I say, may be sometime in the future, I would like to ride a bike with a properly tuned S7 and full Mark exhaust but no one around me has one:( so for now the Tboost works OK since I don't know any better:confused2:
________
C20LET

Last edited:
I agree about the Stage 7, I dont have one but two guys I ride with do. We stay relatively close to around 70 mph, and then the start to pull on me. I really notice it in roll ons

Has anyone tried or know anyone with the fuel injection unit that came out for the VMax?

Buster Hymen said:
Has anyone tried or know anyone with the fuel injection unit that came out for the VMax?
Not many around and those that are, are either at the strip or in Europe. 3,000+ is a lot to pay for something that will not increase power or add anything significant to the bike. Like carburetors that are tuned, injectors run on a program through a computer and if the data isn't perfect, then why pay all that $$? Perhaps when the new Max comes out with injection, the transferrability to the older model will be simpler and less costly, PLUS done right by the factory.

I like the idea of the Warrior suspension on the Vmax, Maybe the headlight and gauges aswell. Hmm... there is an idea...

Was looking at getting a warrior a while back but decided that it would make a lousy commuter as the rear tyre is easy to slip out if you're not carefull on the throttle, Dry road or not. Havn't had that problem on the Max in the dry yet and I'm always carefull in the wet.

Well, after I got rid of the stock dunnie and slapped an Avon on the back, I haven't had any issues with wheel spin on dry pavement. Front end lift is another thing however.

In the rain, the avon as done fantastic. Though I have noticed that if I'm on a fairly steap incline in the rain and get a little happy with the juice, she will spin a tad.

I was wandering what everyone else thought about the yamaha Warrior and Midnight Warrior. I had the privelage of riding a warrior the other night and thought it was an absolute blast. The warrior put down some serious power and great handling. What do you guys think of them?
i own a vmax and a 2002 warrior the warrior is a wimp .

i own a vmax and a 2002 warrior the warrior is a wimp .

Welcome Mike!

I raced my buddy who also has a 2002 and I whooped him... He weighs 100lbs less than me too...:whistlin:

That was last year on the stock rubber and suspension... If I ever get it running again I will try again!:thumbs up:

When I was shopping this summer I looked seriously at the Warrior. I loved the look (once you got rid of that can) but it just didn't have the break off the line that I wanted. You need to look at how you ride I guess and with the yahoos I ride with there is a lot of punching it when the light goes green. It's accelleration after about 35 and in a stretch was fine and I think it will beat most HD's (then again so does my 700cc Maxim X). The cornering on it was very smooth. In the end I went v-max but if a low cost warrior came along I wouldn't mind having a third bike.

A Stock Warrior has never been a match for a VMax, but many other bikes failed for almost 20 years too - in term s of power.
The handling of the Warrior is what makes it attractive and it sure has a classy unique look. With a bit of modding you can get all the power you want but you can do that to every bike on the planet.
I fell in love with the VMax when it first came out, but never got one, didn't ride much in the 80s and 90s. Now I own a 2002 turbo Warrior amongst a few other Yamahas. Its a blast to ride and will take nearly any bike on the street.
Having said that I put my pre-order for the new VMax already in. We shall see what it is really made of.

Ride safe!

I'd rather put a turbo on the V4 and get 190 horsies :)

Mark

That has to bounce off the limiter like NOW when boost hits... You have like 3lbs going into it?:ummm:

Back