What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys love the look if those levers... where did they come from?

Glad that you liked them. I love mine, and they are sturdy as well.

I installed my adjustable levers, they are definitely nice.
These were a gift from Eric aka Traumahwak.
Thanks again, Eric !!!!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Installed the double d and clear water pump cover on my 09' also filled handlebars with bb's . I tried installing the vibornator and appears I have the renthal fatbar with smaller ends so vibornator won't work but it will on my 85'..

Starter clutch replacement, and a used 4 brush starter.. Forgot how much a pain the in the ass the starter is to get to.. Now to get some more anti-freeze. I will add the oil connect up the battery and start it tomorrow then see how the new clutch I put in last week is working.... Rolling Thunder is less than a week away... Still new some new grips, anyone have the Avon's?

Clink Clink Clink... Doesn't sound like a bad sound.. somthing a 99 vmax may or may not make this sound from the rear end. Well upon further investigation I removed the rear wheel and lo and behold there were little sections of metal in the rear hub. kept on the breakdown till I got to the cush.. Removed the rear dampers and the little pieces of metal .. yup .. it was the cush metal segments. without having the resources at hand to replace the cush rubber, Used Tig weld and tacked the sleeves then inserted them into the cush rubber. This actually worked very well. Since there is only centrifugal force on the segments, this should work for the life of the hub, where the metal sleeves do not rotate inside the cushing.

What was the cause: from the January work I did on the wheels which was to remove the wheels and have them powder coated. For powder coating, after the wheels are coated there heated to ~425 which the rubber did very well and showed no sigh of degradation after the process. 3 months later the sleeves inside the cushing (rubber ) worked themselves loose and ended up in the wheel hub.

So, if you heat the wheels up with the rubber in them (easer than removing) watch for the sleeves coming out of the cushings. :clapping:

Bikes back together after the winter upgrades, maintenance work and some major cleaning. Here's some pics of what it looks like this year.

Attachments

• 2014pic1.jpg
    2014pic1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 2014pic2.jpg
    2014pic2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 2014pic3.jpg
    2014pic3.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 2014pic4.jpg
    2014pic4.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 2014pic7.jpg
    2014pic7.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 2014pic8.jpg
    2014pic8.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 31
Yesterday I got mine from storage, got an ID/OD inspection (to get a MO title and plates), fitted a 2" baffle to the Kerker and messed around with a bracket for my shift light.

I still have a few things on the to-do list but none of them are essential to get it on the road.

Later, Doug

Looks great Mike, how did your headlight project pan out? (may have missed it if the final results were posted)

Thanks Brian! Using the standard lights that came with the Cybermax, but with 100w bulbs for now. I did buy some nice HIDs, but the housings did not fit:bang head: Still looking for housings that will fit behind the light.

Mike

Rode with a Memphis Shade Hellcat windshield before, so this one to me is small, but does an ok job blocking the wind.

Mike

Yeah... mine does an ok job as well. Hard to find one that looks really good on the Max, and does the job well. Mine feels weak in both areas. (Keeping the tuck with the stock bars hurts the shoulders after a little bit)

I temporarily installed my cat eye taillight in place of the ugly stock brick light.
It fit well and looks good, I think I'm going to leave like this, no bracket needed. :D
I have some cleanup to do on it.
I'm going to paint the visible part of the inner fender black.
And also remove the little foam pieces on the black plastic housing.
I'll post better pictures when I can get it outside into the sun (so my flash won't affect them).

Attachments

• Cateye-Off-Rear-View.jpg
    Cateye-Off-Rear-View.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Cateye-Off-Left-View.jpg
    Cateye-Off-Left-View.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Cateye-Off-Right-View.jpg
    Cateye-Off-Right-View.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Cateye-On-Rear-View-1.jpg
    Cateye-On-Rear-View-1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Cateye-On-Rear-View-2.jpg
    Cateye-On-Rear-View-2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 26
I temporarily installed my cat eye taillight in place of the ugly stock brick light.
It fit well and looks good, I think I'm going to leave like this, no bracket needed. :D
I have some cleanup to do on it.
I'm going to paint the visible part of the inner fender black.
And also remove the little foam pieces on the black plastic housing.
I'll post better pictures when I can get it outside into the sun (so my flash won't affect them).
I have been using the cat eye for years on various max's they look great ( not as clean as the cbr ) but no fabrication involved so much better for the average garage person.

I have been using the cat eye for years on various max's they look great ( not as clean as the cbr ) but no fabrication involved so much better for the average garage person.
Thanks Kyle.
I thought about doing the CBR light mod.
They are really clean looking, but I've ridden behind quite a few at Thunder and they just didn't seem very visible during the day to me.
So I bought a 60 LED cat eye which seems like it will be a bit more visible.

I just installed it temporarily to see how I liked it.
And I have to say, I do like it.
I'll have to pull it when I am ready to prep my body parts for paints.
Which I should be able to do in the next week or two.
But it will definitely be going back on after the bike is painted.
I might even add an LED in place of the reflector. :D

Back