What to do with my Max?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockertom

Reaction score
Hi all, been signed up for some time. Lurk mostly. I have a 93 max currently in a million pieces in my garage. Blew out second gear a few years ago. So I tore it all down. Had the frame, swing arm and body panels all painted a custom copper. The heads got sent out for a mild port job and triple angle valve job done. The carbs are set up stage 7 with a Kerker 4-1 echaust. Before it broke. Have aquirred most of the new parts to put it back together. Gaskets, bearings, cam chains, new gears, dogs, etc. The problem I have is the time to do it. Between work and family, the time has escaped me for this project. It's not hurting anything in my garage, except the wife is on me on occasion to do something with it. I guess my question is, would it be worth it to part it all out or see if someone wants it as a basket case. I have been watching E-Bay, so I am pretty familiar with what the pieces have been bringing. Just throwing it out here to see what the general Max populas thinks about my delima. I am in Orlando. Thanks,

if the wife is after you to do something with it, then put it back together and ride it !!!!!
Mine is my only real form of stress relief.
and you`ll be glad you did after that first ride.:punk:

if the wife is after you to do something with it, then put it back together and ride it !!!!!

+1

Just an hour or so a couple of days a week would have you up and running quicker than you think......

Sounds like a SWEET bike!!:punk:

Hi rockertom,if I was in your situation I would leave it till you have the time or pay somebody to do it for you,but the satisfaction of knowing that you have stripped and rebuilt your max is priceless,,you could part it out and get good cash for it but then buy another and blow second gear or something worse,,I know what I would do,
TOOLBOX OUT good luck

You hearin this,every body sayin KEEP IT ,fix it when you can, theres some real good guys down there (in the sun)maybe they could help you out on the repair end of it.

If its not hurting anything & you dont really want to sell it put it back togtether a little at a time & enjoy it. If you decide you wanna sell it as a basket case I might be interested

I'm not far from you relatively speaking and follow eBay and Craigslist in your area regularly. What amazes me sometimes is I see a basketcase or broken/wrecked Vmax and it disappears before I can get to it. The Max community is somewhat small so you get to know who bought what and the like. My vote like so many others is, get wrenching. If you decide to sell, basketcase get very little money because they are a "pig in a poke" so you don't know what you really end up getting. The seller can tell you anything and it is hard to argue or disprove. Of course reciepts help bump up the price or custom parts can be seen and help the price. Of course splitting up the bike will get you the most cash BUT you deal with a million people over a million deals and often having to pack and ship. Lastly in the end, you probably end up with a bunch of parts that just don't sell so what do you do with that stuff. It takes up a lot of time, labor and space to part out a scooter. Is your wife gonna be cool with that? Each of us have different circumstances. All we can do is let you know our experiences and you have to do your own assessment of what will work for you. Good luck and let me know if you will take $100 bucks for everything! Just kidding Bro.

I'll go $125 just to out bid Pat.....lol just kidding. seriously man, i would consider it therapy and put it together a part a night until its finished. then, if you still want to sell it you will be selling a complete running bike for some other enthusiast to enjoy all your hard work on...lol. i bet if you put it back together you will go out for that maiden voyage and be hooked all over again and decide to keep it for yourself to get away when you need quiet think time. good luck in whatever you decide, hope you decide to put it back together and share progress pics with us.

+1

women now how to cook, want pranda glasses and shoes..... they played with dolls and when they where kids they watched candy candy ( in my country candy candy was an animation series i hope it was i your country too so you can understand what i am talking about and dont be offended. i dont want to offend anyone). you were playing with guns watche KITT night rider... dukes...
and stuff like that and loved RAMBO THE FIRST BLOOD.

you have a history in your garage..... put it back together..... no much expences to do it....... and take your wife for a ride. she would definetely love it....and be also glad for not give it away.

KEEP IT

+1

women now how to cook, want pranda glasses and shoes..... they played with dolls and when they where kids they watched candy candy ( in my country candy candy was an animation series i hope it was i your country too so you can understand what i am talking about and dont be offended. i dont want to offend anyone). you were playing with guns watche KITT night rider... dukes...
and stuff like that and loved RAMBO THE FIRST BLOOD.

you have a history in your garage..... put it back together..... no much expences to do it....... and take your wife for a ride. she would definetely love it....and be also glad for not give it away.

KEEP IT

My cr5 was in pieces for 5 years. I was at the point where I figured it would never run. Got a call from some friends about putting together a riding trip, camping, etc and it was just the excuse I needed. I got to work and had the bike running in no time

Patmax's reply covers your selling options pretty well.

I see the general concensious is to put it pack together. Thanks for the support. Still not sure what I am going to do yet. I do have a fair amount of coin tied up in it with paint and head work, along with a box full of new parts to put it back together.

This isn't my first rodeo with a max either. Had a 90 back in the day that I had set up similar. The max and I have a love hate relationship. It is the only true bike(twice now) that I have ever felt as one with. BUt it has tried to hurt me bad several times. I suppose it doesn't help that I ride it like a sport bike and keep up with or out run alot of them that I ride with. And some are just plain way to fast. Don't even try. But it was fun railing the max thru the corners. Reminising now. I'll think about what I want to do with it. Not too aweful worried about the wife just yet. I have managed to keep her at bay for awhile now. I may post up some pics of it, in its currect disarray.

I see the general concensious is to put it pack together. Thanks for the support. Still not sure what I am going to do yet. I do have a fair amount of coin tied up in it with paint and head work, along with a box full of new parts to put it back together.

This isn't my first rodeo with a max either. Had a 90 back in the day that I had set up similar. The max and I have a love hate relationship. It is the only true bike(twice now) that I have ever felt as one with. BUt it has tried to hurt me bad several times. I suppose it doesn't help that I ride it like a sport bike and keep up with or out run alot of them that I ride with. And some are just plain way to fast. Don't even try. But it was fun railing the max thru the corners. Reminising now. I'll think about what I want to do with it. Not too aweful worried about the wife just yet. I have managed to keep her at bay for awhile now. I may post up some pics of it, in its currect disarray.

Please post up some pictures....of it currently.....and as you make progress putting it back together.....:punk:

We are all a bunch of gear heads and love that kind of stuff......and the knowledge base here is second to none......the folks here are a really great bunch and can answer any questions and help with any problems you may run into......

Get off the computer and GET IN THE GARAGE!!!!!:th_k050:

Then come here and tell us all about it:eusa_dance:

Latest posts

Back