Yay or Nay?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the track tonight with 95Sprngfldmax and discovered a huge problem with the sheild...on dim the headlight glare is severe....not unlike meeting a car with it's brights on. I seldom ride at night but the next time I do I'm going to have to address this glare....very unsafe!!

Jagco, do you have a link to the pictures you posted? I'd like to take a look at that one.

Went to the track tonight with 95Sprngfldmax and discovered a huge problem with the sheild...on dim the headlight glare is severe....not unlike meeting a car with it's brights on. I seldom ride at night but the next time I do I'm going to have to address this glare....very unsafe!!

Jagco, do you have a link to the pictures you posted? I'd like to take a look at that one.

Just Google Rifle Fairings. They make 3 that fit the Max. Sports (the really big one), Superbike (the one in the pic and the one I had on my Max) and a smaller one that I forgot the name of. Good quality and fairly reasonable price. Been around for many years. I bought a new Superbike model for my 1985 GS1150E in the late 80's. Used on a trip to the Florida Keys in 1990 from Dallas. Worked great.

The looks are so-so, which is better than most windshields. That glare problem sucks, though. Maybe, it will be fixed, if you are able to make the bubble, and move it back, a bit. If that doesn't work out, you might consider getting the same one I'm using. I don't have any good pictures of it on my bike, right now, but it's called the Puig New Generation Windscreen for VMax. It comes in light or dark smoked tint. It doesn't keep all of the wind off of me, but it's a big improvement. It mounts by four bolts, which are all fairly accessible, in just a few minutes. Here's a picture of the light smoke version from one of their U.S. retailers' site:

4952H_large.jpg

John

Just Google Rifle Fairings. They make 3 that fit the Max. Sports (the really big one), Superbike (the one in the pic and the one I had on my Max) and a smaller one that I forgot the name of. Good quality and fairly reasonable price. Been around for many years. I bought a new Superbike model for my 1985 GS1150E in the late 80's. Used on a trip to the Florida Keys in 1990 from Dallas. Worked great.

Thanks Don, I'll Google them, Rifle has been around forever and make quality stuff.

The looks are so-so, which is better than most windshields. That glare problem sucks, though. Maybe, it will be fixed, if you are able to make the bubble, and move it back, a bit. If that doesn't work out, you might consider getting the same one I'm using. I don't have any good pictures of it on my bike, right now, but it's called the Puig New Generation Windscreen for VMax. It comes in light or dark smoked tint. It doesn't keep all of the wind off of me, but it's a big improvement. It mounts by four bolts, which are all fairly accessible, in just a few minutes. Here's a picture of the light smoke version from one of their U.S. retailers' site:

4952H_large.jpg

John

Thanks John, do you still get the glare with the Puig?

its like jim morrisons rose tinted glasss

Ah, Jim! I heard he ended up selling shoes in upstate NY....could that be true? :rofl_200:

M-cman mentioned it a couple posts back about the laminar lip company that makes the wing like object on your MRA windshield which can/ could be added to most shields. If you were to find a better looking windshield you could possibly adapt a laminar lip onto it and be better satisfied with the looks.
http://www.laminarlip.com/

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk w/ vboost!

M-cman mentioned it a couple posts back about the laminar lip company that makes the wing like object on your MRA windshield which can/ could be added to most shields. If you were to find a better looking windshield you could possibly adapt a laminar lip onto it and be better satisfied with the looks.
http://www.laminarlip.com/

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk w/ vboost!

I ran a Laminar Lip on all the Memphis Shades sheilds I had, plus on the Spyder, and still have it, so that is an option. I Googled Rifle but they weren't showing anything for the Gen II? :ummm:

I'd have to say yay if it works for you. Form over function doesn't really apply in this case.

Chris.

from pics i remember seeing of it i twas very very small, i think smaller than the gen1 oem flyscreen.

I was reading some comments on it and I guess, other than looking a little cool, it does nothing for wind flow and noise.

I'd have to say yay if it works for you. Form over function doesn't really apply in this case.

Chris.

Just got to figure something for that glare issue....thinking maybe stuffing a greasy old sweatshirt down where the glare is....that oughtta take care of it.....ey? :ummm: :biglaugh:

Harley guys take care of windshield glare with a headlight visor... not sure how well that would translate to a gen 2 max though.

Here you go - http://rifle.com/Motorcycle-Fairings/Rifle-Superbike-Fairing.aspx

Pictures of it on a gen 2 - http://www.starvmax.com/community/photos/photo?albumid=288&photoid=3475&userid=3728#photoid=3475

I was reading some comments on it and I guess, other than looking a little cool, it does nothing for wind flow and noise.

Just got to figure something for that glare issue....thinking maybe stuffing a greasy old sweatshirt down where the glare is....that oughtta take care of it.....ey? :ummm: :biglaugh:

You may try window tint, dark color. just i thought.

You may try window tint, dark color. just i thought.

Thanks for the photo links jagco....gonna have to think on that one for a while I guess.

The glare is in the low part of the plastic, and only on dim...switch to bright and it's all but gone. I either need some non reflective stick on stuff or a way to block the glare.

Or ride it naked again to see just how bad the wind force is,,,,return the sheild to the 1260 and call it a day! :punk:

I have the Yamaha Boulevard screen. It helps keep the wind off your chest.....does nothing for your head. I've got back and neck issues and my back does not bother me (anymore than usual) with this setup. My neck will be sore the next day though if I've been cruising above 100 for any length of time.

Some people have modified the Yamaha Touring shield by cutting it down a little.....looks a little better that way and has more protection then the boulevard.

I personally like the look of the boulevard especially with the bright parts painted black like I've done.

100_0018.jpg
100_0021.jpg
12.jpg

The 3 pieces windshield is pretty cool and almost not noticeable. I don't like much the huge ones which makes you look like you are an highway patrol.
I have failed finding one for my gen 1 matching my dual projector headlight but still check once in a while since the bugs are HUGE here lol

So for me it needs to be a compromise between size, look and function.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I have the Yamaha Boulevard screen. It helps keep the wind off your chest.....does nothing for your head. I've got back and neck issues and my back does not bother me (anymore than usual) with this setup. My neck will be sore the next day though if I've been cruising above 100 for any length of time.

Some people have modified the Yamaha Touring shield by cutting it down a little.....looks a little better that way and has more protection then the boulevard.

I personally like the look of the boulevard especially with the bright parts painted black like I've done.

View attachment 38700
View attachment 38701
View attachment 38702

My neck gets sore if I cruise over 100 also....from my wife wringing it!! :rofl_200:

I like that Mark, do you get any back glare from the headlight? I'm not able to do any long distance riding, one tank of fuel is about my limit so maybe the Boulevard is the way to go. The flyscreen on my '96 seems to do the job ok, bet this would too.

Whoever owns that did a great job of modding the fairing to fit a Gen 2. :worthy:

+1 Yes, he did....thought if was a design fit by Rifle at first.

Latest posts

Back