Bad shops

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, these stories are all too common no matter where you live.

Just finished rebuilding a Rotax 599 triple 2 stroke engine in a Skidoo Formula III. A friend of my son, blew a piston in the engine and a couple of bearings in the crank, brought it to a local independent shop. He got the sled back 3 weeks later at a cost of $1200, rode it for 200kms and it blew up again. Feeling pretty bummed and not knowing what to do, I told him to bring it to me.

I took the engine out and than apart, and middle cylinder connecting rod exploded and pistion seized in the cylinder. After taking the engine apart, the only thing good is two of the cylinders. Crank bent, one cylinder piston destroyed, engine cases destroyed, cylinder head warped, etc... The kid was devasted and now broke, he didn't know what to do. I told him to bring engine back to shop and talk to the guy to see if he will come good.

Guy told him it was a antifreeze vapor lock that caused the piston from full travel in the cylinder and caused the connecting rod to break, etc... He then told the lad, that kind of shit happens, not his fault, not giving any money back, etc...

Kid comes back to see me with this news. So I go see this guy, to see what he is going to say to me, basically starts with the same bullshit, so I look around, see a complete engine sitting in the corner, ask if it's for sale, yes it is, but it needs a piston, tell the lad to put it in the car and now it's just me and him in the shop, get the money owing to the lad back, minus $400 (it's all he had) and left.

Rebuilt the engine this weekend for the lad and it's running very strong. Also seen this guy at the Snocross races this weekend, he had a booth set up, so I walked over, spoke to him, so to make sure he understands that all is fixed and issue resloved, right Pal?

If you can't do the work yourself, you need to find somebody good and reliable and when you do, make sure you take good care of them. Also, when somebody willfully screws you over, you need to get restribution, DO NOT LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT.

Mike

You are a service shop as well Kyle.

As always happens, even though I'm sure you are a stellar tech and offer great work at the right price, eventually you will be the topic of some pissed off customer that will rave about it on the 'net and all the rest of the dealership bashers will come out of the woodwork for a crack at you... LOL! :biglaugh:

Hang tight and weather the storm, it will happen eventually. Even if you never do anything wrong. It is inevitable. :punk:

Ask me how I know...
G Man
You are tight you cant make every one happy & some one will get mad one day thats just the way the world turns but I would never charge some one $ 600 bucks for something that I did not even touch & there is proof it was not touched that is just bad buisness all the way around. I am just a little guy that works from my house & deal with pretty much the same people all the time & work from word of mouth. if I dont know how to do something I dont do it . If its my first time doing a job I let the customer know its my first time doing it & see if they are comfortable with it.

This is from Howie my customer. http://bustedknuckleshop.com I've been around the web this morning writing negative reviews. I hope it saves a few people from having the experience I had. I've never been treated poorer from a bike shop. These guys should be shut down immediately. They call themselves "The Busted Knuckle", I call them Busted Bike because that's what you have when you pick it up. :)

-Howie-

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Kyle Clegg <[email protected]> wrote:
Can you tell me the name of the shop ? I know some othere people out that way most of them bring stuff to me but I would like to put the word out there just in case. Thanks,Kyle

--- On Mon, 3/7/11, j j <> wrote:

Subject: Re: Carburetors
To: "Kyle Clegg" <[email protected]>
Date: Monday, March 7, 2011, 8:20 AM

Thanks for the update Kyle. The shop that did the "work" on the bike has basically told me to piss off. Worst experience I've ever had dealing with a mechanic. The best i can do now is spread the word to avoid them like the plague. Maybe I can save someone else from a bad experience. All well, live and learn. I'll be sending some more cash your way very soon. Keep up the good work!

This is from Howie my customer. http://bustedknuckleshop.com I've been around the web this morning writing negative reviews. I hope it saves a few people from having the experience I had. I've never been treated poorer from a bike shop. These guys should be shut down immediately. They call themselves "The Busted Knuckle", I call them Busted Bike because that's what you have when you pick it up. :)

-Howie-

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Kyle Clegg <[email protected]> wrote:
Can you tell me the name of the shop ? I know some othere people out that way most of them bring stuff to me but I would like to put the word out there just in case. Thanks,Kyle

--- On Mon, 3/7/11, j j <> wrote:

Subject: Re: Carburetors
To: "Kyle Clegg" <[email protected]>
Date: Monday, March 7, 2011, 8:20 AM

Thanks for the update Kyle. The shop that did the "work" on the bike has basically told me to piss off. Worst experience I've ever had dealing with a mechanic. The best i can do now is spread the word to avoid them like the plague. Maybe I can save someone else from a bad experience. All well, live and learn. I'll be sending some more cash your way very soon. Keep up the good work!

Angies list and BBB is a good avenue to look at...

"The Busted Knuckle"

LOL! Oh boy. With a name like that, it's a bad sign! :rofl_200:

G Man

It's not just this one shop in Florida that's really bad. I'm know it's wide spread everywhere. That's why this forum is so important. Most people with any mechanical ability can do a lot of their own work and save a fortune with the advise and direction given here.

It's not hard to tell those here who are more than capable of doing the harder / bigger jobs. Many of you have brought me up to a pretty good speed on the Gen I Max's. I have pretty high confidence that I can handle most repairs. I've gained a bunch of knowledge here.. Hope what I've learned will help others in the future too...

I could list 20 or more of you here that I consider Guru's in one or more areas of repair. Sean, seems to be able to answer any question. Kyle's not far from that. Others are right there too. So, we have the best shop in the country, right here...

Hi Cap Kyle, I understand you know the Vmax inside and out.

I have an 06 w Kerker 4 into 1 pipe, K & N filter. Had a shop rejet and they put in 160 main and 90 pilot.
Dynojet kit for the bike shows 150 pilot. The bike runs great but gets horrible gas mileage, 25 to 27.
Do I have the wrong pilot jet in the carbs and could this cause the poor fuel mileage?

Appreciate your thoughts!

Hi Cap Kyle, I understand you know the Vmax inside and out.

I have an 06 w Kerker 4 into 1 pipe, K & N filter. Had a shop rejet and they put in 160 main and 90 pilot.
Dynojet kit for the bike shows 150 pilot. The bike runs great but gets horrible gas mileage, 25 to 27.
Do I have the wrong pilot jet in the carbs and could this cause the poor fuel mileage?

Appreciate your thoughts!
I can see poor milage with that setup it looks like your jetted way to Rich in my oppinion. I probably would have went the other way with the jets like a 147.5 or 150 main. I also sent you a PM

I'm the guy with said Vmax. I've mailed out a letter to this shop certified mail. It reads:

"I'm the guy who had the Vmax in to get ready for Daytona. I would like to inform you that the Vmax is getting worked on now by a professional Yamaha mechanic. I have in my possession an e-mail sent to me by this mechanic. He has given me photographic evidence of the carbs as they've come off the bike and written the following-

"Hi Howie, I took your bike for a ride & it ran like crap & was very sluggish. I dont know who you took your carbs to but they done nothing to them. I pulled them off & pulled them apart & they were really dirty & had all old bad gaskets in them. Also there ia a small brass plug in the first blurry picture & you can see it in another picture this plug is in there from the factory & covers the air fuel mixtures srews & is removed & dicarded when the carbs are rebuilt or cleaned properly as you can see it was never removed. The other pictures are of all the crap inside the carbs & bad gaskets. These carbs were never cleaned or synced. I am gonna order the parts for the carbs & get this thing running right before we get to much farther into it. I also fixed your oil leak today. I would have a serious talk & try to get my money back from who ever screwed with it. Thanks,Kyle"

That addresses the carb problem. Also, when I picked up the bike your mechanic was jumping it from a jump box attempting to get it started. That problem was NOT the battery. It was the lack of a gasket for the stator cover upon reassembly that caused clearance problems with the starter motor, not to mention complicated the oil leak. Further, upon picking up the bike it was pouring antifreeze from the bike and the bike was leaking MORE oil than when it had been picked up. The agreement was for the bike to be ready for Daytona when it was picked up from your shop, and to keep the cost under $500.00. A conclusion that was not met. Further still, we had talked about the master cylinder repair. You said, "I'm sure I have one laying around the shop. If we don't we can fix it.". The agreement was to have the bike in top running condition before Daytona weekend. When the bike was picked up it was far from perfect riding condition, and was in fact, still in a state of disrepair and not able to be ridden around the block let alone to Daytona. Now, on your invoice, you have charged me for 5 hours for carb cleaning at $55/ hr. I expect a full refund of these charges. Also, you have charged me 4 addition hours at $55/hr for checking all fluids and various repairs- a job that would take any mechanic less than an hour. I expect to be refunded for 8 hours of labor at $55/hr totaling $440. That would leave you with the one hour of labor that you actually spent "working" on my bike plus the cost of fluid. I think this is more than equitable considering the bike was not in running condition when it left your shop as agreed to when you picked it up, and is now costing me additional charges to have it actually fixed. You have one week to contact me and make this transaction right or I will look for remedy in court. My number is XXX-XXX-XXXX, I look forward to your call."

The worst part is that the owner and one of the laborers is now riding by my sons house revving their engines and spinning out as if I did something to them (that's where they picked up the bike). What they're about to find out is my best friend is a Sherriff in Port Charlotte. I didn't want to call in the troops but this has gone beyond ridiculous. It's almost surrealistic. Spread the word guys, the Busted Knuckle just needs to be busted! I'll keep you all posted on how this turns out.

OUCH! I hope you're able to get it resolved. I know Kyle will make the bike right.

Chris

I'm the guy with said Vmax. I've mailed out a letter to this shop certified mail. It reads:

The worst part is that the owner and one of the laborers is now riding by my sons house revving their engines and spinning out as if I did something to them (that's where they picked up the bike). What they're about to find out is my best friend is a Sherriff in Port Charlotte. I didn't want to call in the troops but this has gone beyond ridiculous. It's almost surrealistic. Spread the word guys, the Busted Knuckle just needs to be busted! I'll keep you all posted on how this turns out.

i edited it so it could be read better.

anyways, wow, thats such BS. how do they know you're not happy before they got this letter? i would call the police if you need to for sure.

They knew I wasn't happy by the repeated phone calls that were met with excuses. Finally, the shop owner confided that they just didn't have the money to refund me. That I could understand. Their business must be hurting badly with the quality (lack of) of work they perform there. I would have let this go as a lesson learned if it wasn't for the harassment of my son. That's where I draw the line.

I can't believe this kinda shit happens right here in my backyard. And now the obvious harrassment. Oh if they tried this on SpecOps! I hope your friend can catch these A holes doing their crap. A little time in the pokee and answer before a judge and your refund request will have been a bargain. If he says he has not cabbage to refund you, I'd be looking around the shop and picking out something I could sell. A used table lift is about the same amount. Good luck and let's go for a ride when you get your scoot back. Bike night in Cape Coral or Ft Myers are worth coming to from Pt Charlotte. PM me for dates or google it.
PATMAX

PATMAX,,, I have a big surprise for the person who attempted to break into my house a few days back. I hope they'll come back and try again, Pretty Please.....:welcome_sign::th_biggun: :oops::rofl_200:

They knew I wasn't happy by the repeated phone calls that were met with excuses. Finally, the shop owner confided that they just didn't have the money to refund me. That I could understand. Their business must be hurting badly with the quality (lack of) of work they perform there. I would have let this go as a lesson learned if it wasn't for the harassment of my son. That's where I draw the line.

dont believe their line of crap about not having the cash to pay you back, they have it i'm sure!! take em to court man, show them that they just cant screw people like they tried to do you. i would sling a rope across the street and wait for them to come riding by for harassment and knock them off their bikes!!! then they would have over the amount they owe you do do in repairs to their own bikes plus hospital bills....jerk offs, just dont chalk it up as a lesson learned!!!

i MAN , YOU GOT TO LOVE IT , THEY SCREW YOU & YOUR THE " BAD GUY " ? .. FUCK THEM !

If I lived in the area I would go in there with him with the carbs in my hand & ask them what they cleaned. They did take off the air box I can tell because the hoses were not hooked to the top any more they were just shoved under the scoops.

PATMAX,,, I have a big surprise for the person who attempted to break into my house a few days back. I hope they'll come back and try again, Pretty Please.....:welcome_sign::th_biggun: :oops::rofl_200:

Boy did they ever pick the wrong house!!!

Bill :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Originally Posted by allisontech: Boy did they ever pick the wrong house!!!
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:My Wife is Easily Pissed and Heavily Armed too..

alltekbee: Atleast with CaptainKyle doing the work, your worries are over about it being done right.... It's hard to imagine a business person making time to harass a dissatisfied customer... Sounds more like a 5 YO....:confused2::rofl_200:

Back