Few Questions.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89max

Reaction score
I'm prepping to install COP's, waiting on my harnesses to come in the mail, and ran across a few things I hadn't noticed before/don't know what they do. I pulled the plug wires out of the bike, but decided to leave the stock coils in place for now. I didn't get a pic of the first thing I was wondering about, but it's up in by the front coils, it's a small box with a vacuum line going to it and a small wiring harness. What is it? If it was a car, I'd say it was a MAP sensor, but what would it be on a carb'd bike?

The second is this:

1143931087_photobucket_42757_.jpg

The little "flapper" lookin thing and pin. Not worried about anything, just curious. You may also notice a lot of nastiness around the plug, from this:

1143931087_photobucket_42759_.jpg

1143931087_photobucket_42760_.jpg

All of my plug boots look like this, and not just the rubber boot around the bottom, the plastic at the bottom of the wire end are actually starting to melt down/crack. I don't think they've been pulled in 15 years. It's funny the PO gave me receipts from valve adjustments and carb cleaning/syncing, and fluid changes by dealerships, he definately maintained the bike, but these things are downright nasty!

One more pic, I have two garage buddies, a chocolate lab, and a miniature dachshund, and since I don't have heat in my garage/shed, the mini weiner gets a little chilly, and likes to curl up to keep warm.

1143931087_photobucket_42758_.jpg

Man I hope spring hurries up!

The little "box" is the vacuum advance sensor. It's used by the ignitor for ignition advance. I'm not sure what the second thing you mention is. Is it the electrical plug?

The little "box" is the vacuum advance sensor. It's used by the ignitor for ignition advance. I'm not sure what the second thing you mention is. Is it the electrical plug?

Okay that makes sense. The other thing I'm talking about is the first pic. Behind the plug, the plate with the pin going down through.

Thanks!

Ah, that's a water jack where coolant enters the head. There is one on both heads.

The rear coils are easy to remove. The front ones are a major PITA, I actually just pulled the wires off them and left them in there when I switched to COPs. Didn't feel like tearing the front half of the bike apart to get them out and they're not hurting anything up there.

Just be careful....the front coils "cross over", as in the coil on the left sparks the front-right cylinder and vice versa. So make sure you keep the coil harness connectors straight. The connector toward the left needs to go to the right COP.
I got mine mixed up in the front and when I went to start it she ran like total ass and kept backfiring. Switched the connectors, all was well.

Yeah, I already took the rear ones off, took one look at the fronts (after I got in deep enough to see them) and said F that! I did see how they cross over. I actually marked the connectors with a sharpie so I wouldn't either and get screwed up.

And yeah, she does make a nice little chest warmer. She just sits there the whole time I'm working. When I stand up, she just hangs on and chills in there. Maybe I could fit her in my leather jacket and take her for a ride in the spring.

Latest posts

Back