General

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SK14R

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a 95 Vmax . Carbs rebuilt Professionally. Coil Wires and caps replaced on front , Coils, wires,caps replaced on rear . Ohms are in spec .
When take off from stand still - sputters . Running 55-60 Smooth then pops , sputters - then smooth. Back and forth. Does need valve adjustment as I can hear them pretty good .
When first start engine-runs idles fine . Runs it seems on 2 cylinders then a minute or 2 later - as if all for kick in and idles smooth. A little smoke . And when you take off as mentioned- you can really feel the sputtering and even at idle at times .
Any suggestions.
Bike has 6200 miles and who ever had it - did not take care of it .
And now within a short period of time” 4-5 months “ it has came a long way in a short time.
Any help in the right direction would be appreciated. As Me & My wife are really anxious to start riding this Great Motorcycle.

I’m sure some more knowledgeable members will contribute to this thread. My contribution is “professionally” rebuilt doesn’t mean squat to most of us unless they have experience with cv carbs and have a proven track record with our carbs. Many a member have posted almost identical threads only to circle back around because the job was incomplete or botched in any number of ways. Fire medic will likely respond with a whole heap of links, info and reading material to help guide you.

Christian

Do you know exactly what was done when the carbs were re-built and if so can you give details?

Can you confirm that the carbs have been synchronised and that the idle mixture screws are all set at a similar value (I'm assuming the tamper proof plugs have been removed?)

You appear to have three issues:
i) Starting on two cylinders before the other two cut in. Establish which two are and are not working. Either spray a fine mist of water onto the headers as they heat up and see which evaporates it or (better) invest in an infra red thermometer and take readings.
ii) Spluttering from standstill - Does the bike idle OK when off choke? If not or not firing on all cylinders (Use i.r. thermometer to check) suspect one or more idle jet blocked. Would suspect restricted or blocked idle jet(s).
iii) Pop and splutter at 55 - 60 mph. Is this in 5th and does it happen at this speed in all gears or can it be reproduced at the equivalent revs in other gears (around 3500 rpm?) - possibly carb synch?

As the bike has spent most of it's life sitting around I would be thinking a carb issue.
First thing I would do is to ensure that the fuel tank is free of any corrosion and if not already done replace the fuel filter.
Next drain the carbs into a clean container and see if any crud comes out.
Run some carb cleaner through the fuel system.

I would also be worthwhile checking that the carb diaphragms are correctly seated and that the slides all rise smoothly and evenly when the throttle is opened.
Also check that you don't have any air leaks on the inlet system.
If that isn't effective then ultra sonic carb cleaning may be required.

The valve clearances aren't due for checking until 25000 miles so should be OK.

Have a 95 Vmax . Carbs rebuilt Professionally. Coil Wires and caps replaced on front , Coils, wires,caps replaced on rear . Ohms are in spec .
When take off from stand still - sputters . Running 55-60 Smooth then pops , sputters - then smooth. Back and forth. Does need valve adjustment as I can hear them pretty good .
When first start engine-runs idles fine . Runs it seems on 2 cylinders then a minute or 2 later - as if all for kick in and idles smooth. A little smoke . And when you take off as mentioned- you can really feel the sputtering and even at idle at times .
Any suggestions.
Bike has 6200 miles and who ever had it - did not take care of it .
And now within a short period of time” 4-5 months “ it has came a long way in a short time.
Any help in the right direction would be appreciated. As Me & My wife are really anxious to start riding this Great Motorcycle.
Mine started doing something like this. Did you took carbs off the bike yourself and put them back? If so, double check all connections - that was pain in the butt for me just take it off. I am waiting to receive them back from Captain Kyle.

Mine started doing something like this. Did you took carbs off the bike yourself and put them back? If so, double check all connections - that was pain in the butt for me just take it off. I am waiting to receive them back from Captain Kyle.
I had Dan Unwic do mine . Was referred by Morley Muscle .
New Boots ,Totally Rebuilt and Sonic Tanked .
I have a battery in there that was from my Zx14r which is a 14 and the Max calls for a 16
And I’m wondering if maybe the battery is going south. Everything lights up , Starts up fine . But when you accelerate. You can really feel and hear the sputtering and was popping yesterday when drove .
I’m just trying to cover all bases .
All vacuum lines are good . I’m going to drain the carbs and see if anything ones out besides gas .
Another thought was maybe Pulse coil where the stator is ?

definitely check battery condition and also make sure you have a good charging system in the bike. also check positive and earth connections are secure .

Will Do . 👍
Why don't you take bike to Dan? Try to synchronize carbs. Mine was popping and run rough after winter for 2 months until it "died" on the road. Starting was fine with open choke . Look what i found in airbox.

Attachments

• 20240814_125730.jpg
    20240814_125730.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240814_131832.jpg
    20240814_131832.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
W
Why don't you take bike to Dan? Try to synchronize carbs. Mine was popping and run rough after winter for 2 months until it "died" on the road. Starting was fine with open choke . Look what i found in airbox.
Wow !
Well he is in NY and I am in Texas . Waaaaayyy to far .
He had told me to be sure and Sync Carbs to my Vmax even though he synced them .
And slipped my mind because I automatically went into “ trouble shooting “ mode when it ran like does .
So this weekend-will sync them . As I am in Contact with Him as Well . And see what the outcome is .

W

Wow !
Well he is in NY and I am in Texas . Waaaaayyy to far .
He had told me to be sure and Sync Carbs to my Vmax even though he synced them .
And slipped my mind because I automatically went into “ trouble shooting “ mode when it ran like does .
So this weekend-will sync them . As I am in Contact with Him as Well . And see what the outcome is .
So you took carbs from bike yourself and put them back? You have manuals? Do you have manometers for synch? I will go through this crap when i receive my carbs back. No mechanics around want to work on old bikes especially vmax.

What was the purpose of the expanding foam?
Are you asking me? That not a foam:) That is gui watery-oily crap that accumulated through crankcase breather hose - My guess, for years. I did not saw it because it is hidden beneath the cover.

Last edited:
So you took carbs from bike yourself and put them back? You have manuals? Do you have manometers for synch? I will go through this crap when i receive my carbs back. No mechanics around want to work on old bikes especially vmax.
Yes , When we first bought the Vmax . It didn’t run . So I took them off , cleaned, rebuilt them and got the Vmax running. But not to its 100% . Drivable.
So we sent them to Dan and he did a EXCELLENT job . Plus I don’t have a Sonic Tank and could not get the Brass plugs out for further cleaning & adjustment.
And he did indeed find 3 plugged up ports .
Yes I have a Sync Tool
No Manual but do have a Download thanks to FireMedic 👍
And you’re right . No one around this area will work on them either. I come from a Mechanical Background and do the work myself. TXSUPERBIKES will, but as mentioned. Tackle everything that I can .
On the 95 Vmax and a 2012 Ninja Zx14r

Yes , When we first bought the Vmax . It didn’t run . So I took them off , cleaned, rebuilt them and got the Vmax running. But not to its 100% . Drivable.
So we sent them to Dan and he did a EXCELLENT job . Plus I don’t have a Sonic Tank and could not get the Brass plugs out for further cleaning & adjustment.
And he did indeed find 3 plugged up ports .
Yes I have a Sync Tool
No Manual but do have a Download thanks to FireMedic 👍
And you’re right . No one around this area will work on them either. I come from a Mechanical Background and do the work myself. TXSUPERBIKES will, but as mentioned. Tackle everything that I can .
On the 95 Vmax and a 2012 Ninja Zx14r
Let us us know about your progress. I am in the same boat.

I expect that many other members here just enjoy the tasks associated with returning a VMax to the road. I have one I'm working on currently, and there is great satisfaction in hearing a formerly non-runner bark to life once again. A bit of additional fettling with the engine, and then it's worth the expense to take care of all the many systems needing some attention.

The bike will be put up for sale, when I'm done. After that, there are others awaiting their turn.

I expect that many other members here just enjoy the tasks associated with returning a VMax to the road. I have one I'm working on currently, and there is great satisfaction in hearing a formerly non-runner bark to life once again. A bit of additional fettling with the engine, and then it's worth the expense to take care of all the many systems needing some attention.

The bike will be put up for sale, when I'm done. After that, there are others awaiting their turn.

Let us know how it turns out. Here is info from this forum that was converted to a PDF about how to sync carbs.

Attachments

• Carb sync procedure sept11.pdf
    407.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 1986-1993-carb sync.pdf
    700.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back