Glueing gasket to one side?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
Anybody have any luck gluing a clutch cover or oil pan gasket to one side or the other to prevent ripping on removal? Iv done this at work, but its on steel parts not aluminum.
confused24.gif

Then again.. If gaskets sticks more to aluminum and it rips. It would take a lot more to remove the glued side without damaging the aluminum.

Thanks

I use grease on the clutch cover gasket to hold it, can reuse it this way too. Like yamabond or
some knd of sealer on the pan gasket, some thin spots where gasket kicks out on me sometimes.
Steve-O

I've used white lithium grease in applications where I knew it would need to come apart again eventually......................

Re: Gluing gasket to one side?

I'm trying this right now... I used Super Black RTV on the pan side of the pan gasket of my 94. I tightened it and then pulled the pan the next day. It was reusable. So, when I did the pan and stator cover on the 89, I did the same so the gasket would stick to the cover sides. No long term results yet though... I do need to pull the stator cover on the 89 and seal the wires sometime soon so guess I will know then...:ummm::confused2:

I just did my clutch and I believe it was the factory gasket that was glued to the engine side and came off in little pieces.I used a very thin coat of copper sealant on the clutch cover side only so next time should be a breeze to remove and maybe not have to replace the gasket. Doesn't leak a drop. Mike

i used a thin layer of vaseline, hopefully that helps.

Thanks everyone.

I think I will hold out on the glue for now until I hear some results and use Vaseline or lithium grease both sides. Is there a grease especially designed to release gaskets?

Thanks everyone.

I think I will hold out on the glue for now until I hear some results and use Vaseline or lithium grease both sides. Is there a grease especially designed to release gaskets?

i would, i'm not planning on taking the covers off anytime soon, but lankee swore by vaseline.

just thinking about it i'd rather cater to making the gasket 'fall off' easier than 'stick on something'....

I use Vasoline. Keeps gasket in place while putting covers back on and lets you reuse your gasket the next time.

I use vaseline on one side of the gasket, not both. Typically I put the vaseline on the side of the gasket that faces the engine as I'd rather scrape it off a cover than the engine. I don't use any glue or sealants

I just did my clutch and I believe it was the factory gasket that was glued to the engine side and came off in little pieces. Mike

Same here, except on the cover side. My finger nails are shot from picking off the engine side w/o glue. The cover is glued on good. Abort the adhesive idea.. Abort!

Aluminum or plexiglass scraper?

When I rebuilt motor last year, I soaked all the side cover & pan gaskets in clean motor oil before I installed them.

No leaks, they came off fairly well when I went back into it a few weeks ago. They were not reusable, but came off easy.

Doing some upgrades to motor is reason for this years surgery.

Gary

hmm soaking in oil is probably a good idea.

The stator cover came off again with the gasket 100% intact and stuck only to it. The light coat of Black RTV I used worked great.. Gasket was usable and went back on, No Problemo..

I peel of as much as I can, then razor blade, then dip a corner of a rag in oil and wipe any remaining reside with oil and let it soak then scotch brite

I peel of as much as I can, then razor blade, then dip a corner of a rag in oil and wipe any remaining reside with oil and let it soak then scotch brite

This copper scraper works well. No scratching at all. But its still a bitch.:eusa_dance:

Attachments

• vmaxyup 012.jpg
    vmaxyup 012.jpg
    74.7 KB
Back