High miles for a Max?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, that would rock da house. What an awesome forum... PM coming! Thanks man!

(PS, is the thread on the RH mirror reverse thread by any chance? If so I didn't know it, which would explain why I freaking stripped it right off!)

It is reverse thread and Yamaha is the only one that does that as far as I know.

Dude, that would rock da house. What an awesome forum... PM coming! Thanks man!

(PS, is the thread on the RH mirror reverse thread by any chance? If so I didn't know it, which would explain why I freaking stripped it right off!)

haha it sure is...

btw. kj beat me to it, but i have a pair of stock mirrors if anyone else needs something

Damn, I hang my head in shame. I've rebuilt my own motors before, consider myself "mechanical" and I freaking broke the damn thing right off! I thought the threads were stuck, lubed it, the works, and then just commenced to twist it right off. Haha, kinda funny now looking back.

Reverse thread on the RIGHT side makes no sense! The wind hitting the mirror tries to rotate it clockwise, which would LOOSEN a reverse thread. Seems backwards to me. If one was reverse seems like it should be on the LEFT side.

Oh well, live and learn, and thank God for the cool guys on the forum having my back!

They wouldn't be so bad if the mirrors didn't have hollow stems. If you ever get aftermarket mirrors 99% of the time you have to get the "Yamaha" adapters. They've been doing the threads like this for years (maybe all the way back).

Sean

Ahh, it's my first Yamaha, so I haven't yet learned the ways of the Yamaha Jedi! Live and learn, lol.

PS, I'm really loving my V-Max so far, really happy I made the switch. The bike isn't as polished as what I came from, but man I just love the character oozing from it.

Sorta like I went from a fast '08 honda Civic to a '69 Camaro or something. Both would be fast, but in totally different ways, and I gotta say, I'm liking the old school right now.

Hey man, my Max seems pretty cold natured, is this normal? Needs choke to start every time it's cold, and I've seen videos of some that start right up, no choke. (By cold I mean sitting outside in 70-degree weather, not REAL cold.)

Is this normal, or unusual? This is the first carb'd bike I've owned in years. I'm thinking new plugs and carb sync in order? Once warmed up it idles just above 1k, so idle seems fine.

Is there a way to tell if your carb sync is off aside from putting the gauges on it? I just called my closest dealer and they quoted $150 just to sync the carbs, seems like a horrible rip to me. I can't imagine it taking very long with the tools and know-how.

Guess I'll have to get me some gauges if this needs to be done very often, no way I'm forking out $150 every 4k miles, which is the recommended interval.

Just wanted to give a big :thumbs up: to KJShover. He sent me a mirror, after my dumb*ss self broke mine off, thanks man!

I have to say, it became quite an ordeal removing the broken off mirror stem from the master cylinder. First, it was corroded in, I guess from water sitting there and rusting.

Since it was reverse thread, I figured I could just thread a normal bolt into it, which would tighten, and extract the revere-thread mirror stem piece.

Well good idea it seemed like, but it wasn't a very good idea when I twisted the freaking head off the bolt, leaving a hardened bolt now broken off inside the hollow stem, meaning drilling would be MUCH harder. :bang head:

After a whole evening and getting maybe 1/8" into the thing using a hammer drill, I gave up for the evening.

Came back the next day, regrouped, and tried again. For some reason this time I got a bit to bite, and started drilling at a rapid rate. Unfortunately, due to the hardened broken off bolt, the hole drilled off center. I was however, able to remove the bolt piece, leaving the hollow stem.

I decided to try drilling larger and larger until nothing was left, then pick the remains out of the threads. Well, as I went to a larger drill bit, I decided to gear the drill way down slow, hoping it would dig into the remaining stem, and instead of drilling, actually extract it.

BINGO! It worked; the bit dug in hard, broke the stem piece loose, and extracted it. Wow, what a pain! Took two days to get the broken stem out.

New mirror looks great again, wow. I gotta say it sucks riding with no mirror on one side.

Installed some new NGK plus, she seems to run better, but the plugs I pulled out, which looked like OEM, still looked good. (which was a relief)

Installed some new NGK plus, she seems to run better, but the plugs I pulled out, which looked like OEM, still looked good. (which was a relief)

Yeah, my bike was running kinda crappy when cold too. Changed the plugs and it cleared right up and ran great. Now after about a thousand miles, it's starting to run crappy again. Maybe they're fouling out, but the first set of plugs I pulled looked good. Can't figure it out. Think I may need a good carb cleaning.

Damn, I hang my head in shame. I've rebuilt my own motors before, consider myself "mechanical" and I freaking broke the damn thing right off! I thought the threads were stuck, lubed it, the works, and then just commenced to twist it right off. Haha, kinda funny now looking back.

Reverse thread on the RIGHT side makes no sense! The wind hitting the mirror tries to rotate it clockwise, which would LOOSEN a reverse thread. Seems backwards to me. If one was reverse seems like it should be on the LEFT side.

Oh well, live and learn, and thank God for the cool guys on the forum having my back!

Your absolutely right Boomer!! This has bothered me for a long time...It's bassackwards!!! WHY!!

BTW, you have prolly already noticed this, but the nut with the reverse thread has little notches around it, for ID purposes I s'pose.

Yeah, I noticed the notches in the bolt AFTER I twisted it off, and realized, "Hmm, I bet those notches in the bolt signify reverse threads", hahah. A bit late, alas.

Latest posts

Back