Moon beam helmet

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxcruzer

Reaction score
The weather is cold and rainy and I'm at a stand still on my bike build up sooooo, I got bored. That's usually not a good thing, I don't like to stand still.
So, I tore down my helmet, sanded out the chips and scratches and painted it red with plasticoat. Then I taped up a simple design and sprayed some leftover Durabak bed liner I had lay'n around and viola! A near bullet proof lid. I topped it off with a clear that has reflective properties under direct light for night visibility. I weighed it against my wife's identical helmet and surprisingly it was only a few ounces more.
So in the day it looks flat black with flat red that almost matches my bike, and at night it becomes a disco ball. Probably something coprunner would never use as its seen from satellites quite well I'm sure. What the hell, it may save my ass some night.

Attachments

• helmet 004.jpg
    helmet 004.jpg
    62.1 KB
  • helmet 003.jpg
    helmet 003.jpg
    54.8 KB
  • helmet 001.jpg
    helmet 001.jpg
    78.1 KB
  • helmet 002.jpg
    helmet 002.jpg
    108.2 KB
  • helmet 005.jpg
    helmet 005.jpg
    89.9 KB
That's a hell of an idea Kenny!! It could take a bouncing across the gas station parking lot after it falls off your bike during gas-up....which I have embarassingly done before!! :damn angry:

Looks great also....nice job! :thumbs up:

BTW, yer avatar chick (even tho she's telling me to F%&@K off) is just about the foxiest in all of Forumdom! :worthy: (IMO)

That is definitely different and I like the use of bedliner,nothing like some texture!Can you tell us more about the clear coat,please?Thanks Kevman.

Like the helmet Kenny! Should have left the clear coat off though....looked better with just the bedliner IMO.

That is definitely different and I like the use of bedliner,nothing like some texture!Can you tell us more about the clear coat,please?Thanks Kevman.

Thanks for comments. The guys at work wonder if it will slow me down being textured. NOT!
The reflective spray is called Nite lites by Dipli-color, found it at Schuck's auto. Small can about $10. It did take the deep black away and leave kind of a dark charcoal color but I'm sure it wasn't thought to be put on bed liner.

If you guys are spinning how and what you'd spray with that stuff you need to back up about 18-20 inches from the piece and mist it so it just falls onto the part otherwise it will leave voids in the reflectivity coz you're too close.

Nice work however........

I would be worried that the bed liner material would give the helmet some extra traction if you and your melon would ever come into contact with the pavement. This could cause a serious neck injury.

Helmets are designed to slide with little or no effort across pavement to ensure you neck does not get wrenched during a fall.

haha, that things pretty cool. I found the bed liner in my truck dicolored and got hard and brittle after a long while. But you'd probably change it by then anyways. Good idea.

Nice work however........

I would be worried that the bed liner material would give the helmet some extra traction if you and your melon would ever come into contact with the pavement. This could cause a serious neck injury.

Helmets are designed to slide with little or no effort across pavement to ensure you neck does not get wrenched during a fall.

That crossed my mind too but this stuff is hard to explain, its rubbery but not sticky. It slides well, only real grip of it is the bumps (texture). Gonna have to keep my head on a swivel and play keep-a-way from cagers.

If you go here http://www.nonslipcoating.com/ and ask them for a chip, they will mail you a sample. FYI My P/U is on this site aswell. The red 88 chevy.

Latest posts

Back