Time to Rebuild... :)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was having fits doing my new-to-me tokico 6pots that I installed mu old 2 pots back on. But I said f-that and back on went the 6pots and a 1-2 hour session and I ended up with awesome brakes.
Keep at it Shane, you'll get 'er done!:punk:

Brakes are done! :punk: Another hour long session finished them off, I coulda stopped after about 45 minutes but wanted to be 100% sure :clapping:
I also straightened out a slight bend in my front brake lever, then cut about 1.5 inches off the ends of both the brake and clutch levers.... didn't care for the length of them. Forgot to snap a pic, sorry. Straightened the rad mounts, now ready to install the new rad and fan. I only had about 2 hours this morning to tinker on it, but I did bring the carb bank home yesterday and plan to start tearing them down this week.

So, while installing the signals yesterday I threw the battery back into it and reconnected all the wiring back by the rear coils and left side of the gas tank. I had already wired up everything behind the headlight. I turned the key on, fuel pump clicked away and V-boost cervo cycled.... after testing the turn signals to make sure I wired them correctly (2 right wiring harnesses :eusa_dance: ) I decided to hit the starter button to just see if it would turn over. Bike is in neutral, neutral light is on. When I hit the starter, headlight cut-out, oil light came on and fuel light came on... but starter didn't... Now, The bike is still in pieces and I don't know what else might need to be in place to turn it over.... but just in case, I wanted to ask the question about where I would begin to troubleshoot... Side stand was down, but bike was in neutral. Just for shits and giggles, I raised it but the result was the same. Anyway, I'm open for suggestions on where to begin, and hopeful that once it's all back together it will turn over. How sensitive are the starters in a max? Might something be 'out of whack'? :ummm:

EDIT: (I did NOT reconnect the coils)

Would the Ignition box (CDI?) have anything to do with the starter not turning? There was some damage to the area under my left scoop and I think that's where the ignition box is located.... anyway, food for thought.
:worthy:

Hey Zippo, nice progress Bro. Yeah that left scoop has lots of electronics under it but they are like the signal flasher/cancellers, vBoost brain box, and others but your CDI/TCI box is buried in front of your stock airbox and is fairly well protected. It is sorta hard mounted so impact forces might have cracked the circuit board or a solder joint but short of exchanging it out with a known good one, no way to test it toy knowledge. Sean has the "Help kit" program where he'll send you all that crap so you can troubleshoot and just buy what you need. Best deal I ever heard of in service! Keep us posted.
PATMAX

Good news. I did some reading today and was reminded about the starter relay above the battery (between the coils) and since I didn`t know if it used the bracket as a ground, decided to go take a look and see.... this based on the fact that I know that bracket isn`t bolted down. So I checked and discovered the 2 wire harness leading out of the relay wasn`t connected :bang head: So I hooked the battery back up, connected that harness, turned the key, waited for the vboost and fuel pump to cycle, then hit the starter.... engine turned over!! :clapping::punk::eusa_dance:

I forgot to take another picture today... my bad.
Got the rad mounted and fabbed a new frame mount for the left side peg and drank some beer :D

Always rewarding when you troubleshoot your own way out of trouble, instead of going to the dealer. How soon do you think for a road test?

Always rewarding when you troubleshoot your own way out of trouble, instead of going to the dealer. How soon do you think for a road test?

It is indeed :clapping:
I still need a water pump and a few other misc parts and gaskets, so another month I suspect? Not soon enough!!! Perhaps I'll dig my wife's bike out today and take it for a rip :punk:

It is indeed :clapping:
I still need a water pump and a few other misc parts and gaskets, so another month I suspect? Not soon enough!!! Perhaps I'll dig my wife's bike out today and take it for a rip :punk:
I have a water pump its been sitting for a while so it might need seals. I could make you a deal onit as is or rebuild it for you. It might be good as is but I am not gonna garantee it is.

I have a water pump its been sitting for a while so it might need seals. I could make you a deal onit as is or rebuild it for you. It might be good as is but I am not gonna garantee it is.

I'm getting the water pump and most of the remaining goodies from Toolman - a forum member that's only a few hours away from me :)

Here are some updated pics taken today, not sure on the quality as they were taken with my BB.

Oh and I did get out for my first ride today since the accident last summer :clapping::punk: Took my wifes ZX6R out for a scoot :biglaugh:

Attachments

• IMG-20110423-00040.jpg
    IMG-20110423-00040.jpg
    75.2 KB
  • IMG-20110423-00042.jpg
    IMG-20110423-00042.jpg
    79.6 KB
  • IMG-20110423-00044.jpg
    IMG-20110423-00044.jpg
    91.5 KB
Figured I better update this some....
So.... a 600KM round trip today to go visit Toolman and pick up the parts I needed (pics below), made it home this evening and sanded and primed the Stator Crank Case and Cover. While waiting, I buttoned up all the plumbing to and from the Coolant Manifold, tomorrow night I'll get the water pump installed.

Parts picked up today from Toolman:
- Stator Crank Case and cover
- Water pump, cover, elbow and bolts
- right side peg mount and 2 pegs.
- all plastics (coolant mount and cover, ignition cover, other side neck cover and electrics)
- Carb cover
- Rear Master Cylinder Cover
- Engine guards
- Front and Rear wheels (Black) :punk:
Pics attached!

Attachments

• Stator Cover Sanded.jpg
    Stator Cover Sanded.jpg
    62.8 KB
  • Stator Cover Primer.jpg
    Stator Cover Primer.jpg
    45.6 KB
  • Parts from Toolman.jpg
    Parts from Toolman.jpg
    56.4 KB
  • New Wheels.jpg
    New Wheels.jpg
    74.5 KB
Well, after installing the water pump last night, I figured if I popped the carbs back on and hooked up the throttle cables I could then fire her up. Carbs went back in all nice and tight, only then did I think about throttle cables.... after 20 minutes of fiddling and cursing, carbs came back off so I could reinstall the lower throttle cables :bang head: duh.... carbs went back on and seated. Installed new upper throttle cables. Hooked up the airbox breather hose and tried to seat the airbox...... :damn angry: Finally said screw it, turned the key until the fuel pump filled the new fuel filter and the float bowls, put on the choke and hit the starter. Motor turned over 3 or 4 times mildly catching, then roared to life :clapping: I sure missed that sound! With the airbox sitting loose on the carbs and the synch way out on the carbs (I was playing with adjustment screws when I cleaned them) the bike ran like a top! For the first time ever, I was able to shut the choke off almost immediately. My bike has always liked the choke from a cold start, I was pleasantly surprised. I have some adjustment to do on the new throttle cables as the pull/open cable is a hair too tight and holding the rev's around 2500 I was able to reduce the idle by twisting the throttle back ever so slightly, so I don't think it's the idle screw - feel free to chime in if you think I'm wrong :biglaugh:

So all in all, I am happy with the progress. Bike and I went down last August 2nd and hasn't ran since..... I had goosebumps to say the least!! :punk:

Here's the newly painted Crankcase (Stator) and cover ready to go on.
:eusa_dance:

Attachments

• Stator Cover Painted 1.jpg
    Stator Cover Painted 1.jpg
    42.9 KB
  • Stator Cover Painted 2.jpg
    Stator Cover Painted 2.jpg
    46.9 KB
Here's a pic of the new water pump on and the stator cover replaced.
:punk:

Attachments

• IMG-20110601-00092.jpg
    IMG-20110601-00092.jpg
    104 KB
  • IMG-20110601-00091.jpg
    IMG-20110601-00091.jpg
    89.1 KB
  • IMG-20110601-00094.jpg
    IMG-20110601-00094.jpg
    85.8 KB
  • IMG-20110601-00096.jpg
    IMG-20110601-00096.jpg
    84.7 KB
Hopefully the bike will be completed and ready to roll! Good luck.

I should have her on the road in less than a week!! :punk:

Today I yanked the wheels and moved my rotors over to the new ones. Re-installed the front wheel and checked to see if it was true, my suspicion was correct, I did bend my front wheel during the accident.
Monday I'll drop my back wheel off to have new rubber installed.... I'll re-install the water pump once the o-rings arrive and I'll also install the screw into the timing hole on the stator cover. Fill her up with some fresh oil and gear oil, refill the coolant and fire her up!! :clapping:

Back