What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the R1 mod today because of low voltage output (13.8 at 4K RPM). When I diconnected stator wires the connector crumbled in my hands and burnt , corroded wires fell out of connector. Any one with low voltage should check this connection for corrosion. I snipped the ends off and used a crimp type connector, soldered connections also to supply the new R1 rectifier. After R1 installation voltage is 14.5 at 4K RPM with everything on, cooling fan running also

Last edited:
Going to be incredible with the raven black KJ....great choice!! :clapping:

It's not going to be raven black anymore. Its going to be the color of deoxygenated blood. A friend of mine came up with the idea, and when I thought about it, I really like the dark red with purple-ish undertones. I'm thinking, the picture thats going to be arbrushed should fit nicely after the edges get feathered in with the primary color.

Had to laugh, he said I should mix some of my blood in with the paint, like Kiss did with thier comic book :rofl_200:

Can't say I've ever seen or heard of that color KJ . Looking forward to it . Very original and unique . :punk:

It doesn't exist yet Rollie.
I'm going to have to match it. Shouldn't be too hard, just pull a little blood then then take it to the paint shop and have them match it using their spectrophotometer, then it should be good to go for the color formula.

Think this when you think of the color:

bloodpk.jpg
blood2g.jpg

I could also search for the color on the internet, but I think having it the color of my blood would be cooler. Not to mention having a few drops of my blood in the paint would be cool to. How many people can say they share the samd DNA as thier bike? lol

Did the R1 mod today because of low voltage output (13.8 at 4K RPM). When I diconnected stator wires the connector crumbled in my hands and burnt , corroded wires fell out of connector. Any one with low voltage should check this connection for corrosion. I snipped the ends off and used a crimp type connector, soldered connections also to supply the new R1 rectifier. After R1 installation voltage is 14.5 at 4K RPM with everything on, cooling fan running also

man those are some nasty wires

If you didn't resolve the problem at least your going to prevent a future issue! Man those wire were corroded! Good on ya for getting it taken care of! :clapping:

Good save, alorio1. It's always good when you can head off a potential failure, especially one that may be catastrophic....:biglaugh:

cool idea KJ!

i also couldn't figure out why my idle speed was surging today at stops. then i realized it was because i was pulling the throttle ever so slightly forward with my hand as i have 0 freeplay in it.. haha dumbass

:confused2:I noticed that for some reason Yamaha decided to put the clutch and front brake master cylinder sight glass facing forward, away from the rider. There may be exeptions but every bike I have noticed the sight glass is facing the rider; huh!

I am feeling pretty proud of myself for replacing the battery. There was a good guide for installing a stronger battery then the stock one, but considering I am pretty ignorant when it comes to mechanics I figured sticking by the book was best for me.

Sean sold me some brake pads for my rear brake and send me some instructions and I put brake pads in for the first time.

Went pretty well. the thing that gave me the hardest time was getting the rubber cover locked back in.

New brakes work great!

Ordered a set of chrome air scoops from http://www.morleysmuscle.com/.
Why ? He is a stand up guy and carries a good line of Yamaha parts with a good price , free advice and help with any problem you might have with your bike.

Last edited:
Finally got to mess with my 89 some pulled the flywheel & put new starter clutch bolts in,drained all the old gas,put a new battery in,bled the clutch, need to pull the carbs now.

i assume it was much less eventful than mine?

put back the gauge cluster(no shift light to install). put on my p/c shifter and brake lever. rear p/c grab bar is on, tire pressure good, batt on charge........ nice day for a ride, a little early but doesnt matter dont have my current reg sticker D'oh!!!! oh well wasnt meant to be to ride today. maybe next week.

After seeing the photo of Redbone with the Mark's cans clearanced properly away from the shocks I did the same thing to '99.

Thanks for the inspiration Brian!! :clapping:
No problem Danny, that's what were all here for, to learn from each other! I didn't have a problem, or should I say "not as worried" with the stock shocks which gave me a 1/8" more clearance over the 440's. I put the 440's on and rode a few hundred miles but I was worried the whole time. I tried bending Mark's muffler bracket but that didn't seem like a good option after a few tries. I finally came up with the shimming of the foot peg bracket as it was the only thing that would affect the clearance. For some reason I had no problems with the other side, must just have been mfg's tolerances.

Installed the Harlan shift light today, since it's wet and rainy out I warmed it up in the garage and ran it up past 9200 a few times to test............Works good!...................For those doing an install themselves soon there are 3 wires on the tach, 93-2000 schematic shows brown=lighting power, black=ground and the gray wire is the tach signal from the controller, this is where you make your connection, now for a warm dry day to perform a tire smoking real world test..............:punk:............................Tom.

Back