My 85 Vmax turned full rebuild ( pics requested by PATMAX )

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carbs leaking sounds like float level to me, & possibly float needle/seat issue. Did they leak before the build? Needles & seats are relatively cheap, so that should not require too-much $. The how-to section has a good carb thread.

I hope all it is , is float level. I took the carbs off and just have one apart right now. The needle fell out when I removed the cover. The float would move all the way up to the top of the bowl with the needle back in before it would close off. Everything else looks not bad to me, but I'm no expert at this. lol I did read through the " how to section ". That carb write up is fantastic, I'll be checking back to that for sure.

Great rebuild! Drop by the VMOA booth at the Toronto M/C show first weekend in Jan.
You'll meet some great vmaxers and see some nice bikes. Good contacts to have when the mod monkey bites you. :rofl_200:

Dale #2592

Great rebuild! Drop by the VMOA booth at the Toronto M/C show first weekend in Jan.
You'll meet some great vmaxers and see some nice bikes. Good contacts to have when the mod monkey bites you. :rofl_200:

Dale #2592

I totally forgot there was a bike show coming up. I'm hoping to make it down. I'll for sure stop by the VMOA booth if I'm there!:biglaugh:

BIKE UPDATE! I finished with the carbs, and set my floats up according to the dry setting I could do on the bench. Also my drain screw O-rings were shot, so I replaced them. Installed back on bike, looks like I'm good to go.

Now my problem is the Vboost! It won't cycle when I key up or anything. Servo works good when I power it myself and cable is lubed and adjusted. I seen a couple of posts about bad solder joints on the controller. I removed the coating and didn't really see anything that looked bad to me. Does anyone know what I should be looking for? Picture would be awesome!!!

Its been awhile, but I have made some more progress on the MAX. Found that controller board for Vboost to be bad. I touched the solder joints and had nothing till I flexed the board then the servo would try to cycle. I think I'm gonna order a aftermarket replacement.

The rest of the bike is coming nicely. Replaced leaking water pump seals. ( The mechanical seal is a real PITA to remove :damn angry:) Repainted swing arm since I seen one in black at the bike show in Toronto that I liked. Installed with cleaned up rear tire and painted brake rotor. Forks drained and ready for fresh fluid. Painted and pretty much ready to go back on. ( Would love to go progressive springs, but no cash ) Gonna get rid of the air cross over and slid the forks up.

Attachments

• 100_2943.jpg
    100_2943.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_2948.jpg
    100_2948.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_2949.jpg
    100_2949.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_2950.jpg
    100_2950.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_2952.jpg
    100_2952.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_2953.jpg
    100_2953.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_2954.jpg
    100_2954.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_2942.jpg
    100_2942.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 29
It has been awhile, but I've found some more time to work on the Max. Here are some more pics of what I've got done. Wheels and brakes are done, clutch is bled and ready. Hooked up fan switch, and mounted push button near key for my garage door. Added the extra brake light.
Have one question though, that I can't seem to find a straight answer on. If I'm still running stock fork springs for now with no air and lowered in the tree 1 inch. Will my fender hit the rad???? When I rock the bike back and forth with the front brake on, it does seem to come pretty close. Close enough to make me nervous.

Attachments

• 100_2963.jpg
    100_2963.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_2976.jpg
    100_2976.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_2974.jpg
    100_2974.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_2973.jpg
    100_2973.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_2970.jpg
    100_2970.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_2964.jpg
    100_2964.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_2960.jpg
    100_2960.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 22
Looks good, you should be ok with a inch drop, it will be close as you've noticed. I have a question about your front brakes, although I may have missed the answer in a previous post; what brake pads are you using?
When I first bought my '92 with the same front brake setup (stock pads) as yours and I scared myself trying to get the beast to stop. If I tried to use them hard two times in a row they were next to useless on the second stop. I added HH pads which made a big difference over stock pads. Adding aftermarket fork springs will help keep the bike in balance while braking and cornering. Jiust want you to be safe, brakes and suspension are the first items our early Vmax's need.

I'm using EBC HH brake pads on the front. Just stock pads on the rear. I hope she does ok for this year. The wife is starting to complain about the cost of rebuild. I'm already planning what to do next year , which will hopefully be progressive shocks and maybe stage 7 ????:biglaugh: I have a buddy with a 1986 FZ 750 that wants to drag me this summer. So we'll see what stock does for this year.

Good deal, I know how tight the money can be too. Got rid of a bunch of CC debt a 1.5 yrs ago and now I can finally breath financially. Too bad my flea bitten mod monkey figured it out though!:biglaugh:

Love the color Bandit. No one can answer your question because they don't know how much you weigh, what weight fork oil and how aggressive you ride. If you are heavy enough to bottom out your fork, you'll have a good idea of your clearance. Radiator does crumple pretty easy though but I wouldn't want to mess up that fresh paint!

I hear what your saying PATMAX. I should have included more detail . I weigh about 215lbs, using ATF as fork oil w/ no air, and I don't ride that aggressive I think, but worried about having to put her into a dive and hearing that paint rub off on my rad. lol I might just slide the forks up a hair just for some peace of mind.

Well guys, I think for the most part I have the bike ready for the season. Until the mod monkey everyone talks about gets me. hahaha. All I have left to do now is order my replacement Vboost controller, since my factory one is shot. Also install my alarm. I ended up moving the fork tubes back , so they are now only 1/2 inch slid up the tree now. I had a buddy over to see how close the fender came to the rad as I held the brake and slammed the suspension down. It looks good now. Here is how she looks....... minus the mirrors, I forgot to put em on before the pictures.

Attachments

• 100_2977.jpg
    100_2977.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_2979.jpg
    100_2979.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_2982.jpg
    100_2982.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_2981.jpg
    100_2981.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 32
Looks good! Are you corking your exhaust to prevent rodent nests?

Nah, I hope I don't have rodents living in my garage. LOL I seen those "remove before flight" plugs at the Toronto Motorcycle Show and wanted a set for myself. Then next time I was at my Yamaha dealer they had them on display. I think it gives the bike a bit more attitude, hahaha I plan on putting her in a few bike shows this year, just to show off some hard work I've done bringing her back from the dead. :biglaugh:

Damn thats sweet. I'm going to need one of those clear clutch covers.

Thanks bud, your bike is looking pretty bad ass as well. :punk: I made the clear clutch cover myself. It took some time since I don't have any proper tools for cutting perfect circles, so I did it very, very carefully with a jig saw and a dremel tool. I had one small oil leak when I first fired the bike up. Removed the lexan and cleaned it up a bit. Then put a good coat of ultra black RTV on. Seems good now.

I'm debating on doing the water pump next?????

It's really great to see all that you've done! Love the color too.

I'm about to tear into my 2000 engine - 2nd gear's gone. I may hit you up for a few tips when it comes to splitting the cases and doing that gear work - I've never been in there before..

It's really great to see all that you've done! Love the color too.

I'm about to tear into my 2000 engine - 2nd gear's gone. I may hit you up for a few tips when it comes to splitting the cases and doing that gear work - I've never been in there before..

Thanks. If you do yours, get a manual if you don't already have one. It will save your ass. :biglaugh: Also take pictures of everything to help with reassembly. Its all pretty straight forward from there. Good luck!

Back