The Worst VMAX Ever

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was an interesting watch on YouTube

Perhaps @CaptainKyle has seen some worse machines. Given that this was not in a wreck it is pretty bad.

Mine was WAY worse! Pic after power wash. It sat outside from 93 to 2012.
The side shown is the good side, seat split, wiring munched and all fluids
were powdery clumps. The fuel tank LOL had gold liquid rust in it!
I got it for 500, I notice yours was pushed into the trailer.
The calipers on my 85 were stuck to the rotors. The wheels wouldn't roll!
Pic shown of the rear brake arm gouged by the button heads because the
P.O. rode it without the correct spacers, on and on....
1b.png051812215013.jpg

I don't know if I'm going to watch the whole thing or if I'm just going to skip ahead I watched about the first 10 minutes and these two fellows need to suck it up and stop with the drama about "eew, bugs!"

I believe Kyle is referring to a yellow 1994 that was inside a storage shed on a acre lot in southwest Miami. I recall that it had a fair amount of accessories on it and while it had the usual accumulation of cobwebs and other debris, after we loaded it up into Kyle's Ram V10 pickup truck, he said that once he got it home he was able to get it running pretty easily. These guys who have never worked on a Vmax before just need to suck it up and get on with the work. I'm at the point where they are looking at the intake system and they already found out that the gas tank had rust perforation, so that needs to be replaced. I was interested in how they were going to approach removing the locking gas cap. They made some vague reference to "hammering it down," but whether or not they were able to save the gas cap isn't told at the point I'm at now. There are multiple posts on the Forum about sticking gas caps and what needs to be done to be able to remove them and save them since the gas cap is something like $160 and if you buy just the gas cap then you are not going to have matching lock cylinders and will need to carry two keys, unless you take it to a locksmith and get it all keyed alike.

An 11,000 mile first year VMAX that hasn't suffered any obvious road rash for $500 is a decent buy assuming that the engine turns over. That at least tells me that there is a good possibility the engine should be able to be made operational by going through the usual resuscitation techniques for all the bike systems.

Back to the show.

Last edited:
Okay I got to the end of the video and there were some interesting parts. In their overhaul of the carbs they didn't mention anything about the fuel enrichment piston system or the coasting mechanism diaphragms. They did discover some interesting features about the fuel pump including the little tidbit about the length of screws holding the points plate onto the body of the fuel pump. The grounding screw is a very specific slightly shorter screw and if you use the longer screw in the hole where the grounding screw is supposed to be then you create a dead short in the system. Something to pay attention to if you have to mess with your points. I just took four OEM fuel pumps which needed being checked out and went through them and discovered "the power of the short screw."

They did do a good job and showed some good points on overhauling the two pole 1985 electric starter.

The guy doing the narrating did manage to save some bucks on the cooling system piping which had perforated from rust and he was able to TIG weld a new pipe in to patch the coolant bleed system.

He mentioned Donelson Yamaha as a place local for him to purchase Yamaha parts. 32 years ago when I bought my first VMAX, Donelson Yamaha was the same place that I used to mail order tires from. They sold the correct size Dunlop for $50 and I used to buy two at a time.

I am yet to see videos two and three but I think based on the content of what they showed there may be enough to interest me on there.

Overall I think the guys have done a decent job of explaining what they're doing. I've seen far worse.

Last edited:
I have now watched all three. It is entertaining which I believe is their primary goal, since it a YouTube channel for a Custom Bike Shop and not a VMAX enthusiast.

They discovered the hard way the limited range of the bike. I found that to be hilarious. I have nearly run out of gas so many times.....

There's not a thing as a bad motorcycle (no place for a bad Vmax), just bad mechanic's dude. I can't bear when anyone does a video as they know something about fixing motorcycles and then proceed to send the carburetors to other dude to do them. I really can't bear it.

There's not a thing as a bad motorcycle (no place for a bad Vmax), just bad mechanic's dude. I can't bear when anyone does a video as they know something about fixing motorcycles and then proceed to send the carburetors to other dude to do them. I really can't bear it.

Here one fo my carburetor's works:

Latest posts

Back